Why use 2 identical pickups?

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by Tzar27, Mar 21, 2013.

1. Tzar27

Tzar27 SS.org Regular

This may very well make me look like an imbecile, but here goes nothing:

I'm looking into getting an 8 string guitar, but I have one burning question regarding the pickups; why on earth would you use two identical ones in the same guitar?

For example, why would you have two EMG 808X pickups together? Is the wiring for the bridge and neck different, allowing for different tones? I always though the pickups made the difference, not the position.

Also, recommendations for a first 8 string are more than welcome!

2. Dommak89

Dommak89 SS.org Regular

No the position makes a difference and usually although it says that it is the same pickup it does have a few differen twitches.

Look at the pickups at dimarzio website for example: Same model, different attributes.
    8-String | DiMarzio

3. Jessy

Jessy Banned

The only reason you would use two different pickups is because you don't know how to use presets effectively. One fantastic pickup is all you need; nondestructive gear does the rest.

OP, you should go try the most popular electric guitar in the world.

4. Tzar27

Tzar27 SS.org Regular

Well, it definitely makes sense in the case of DiMarzio, but it seems there is only one kind of 808X out there. Does the bridge vs. neck really make that much of a difference to warrant two identical pickups?

5. VBCheeseGrater

VBCheeseGrater not quite a shredder

Huh??? How about the guitarist wants a certain sound for his bridge pickup and a certain sound for the neck position. The second comment is not worth commenting on.

OP, the neck and bridge position of the pickup will give you a greater tonal variation than the pickups themselves, so if you have say an EMG 81 in the bridge and an EMG 81 in the neck, the neck pickup is still going to sound fatter, smoother, and less abrasive while bridge will sound tighter and brighter, even though they are identical pickups. Its just the nature of the string vibrations at that point on the string.

And as was already mentioned, some neck models are slightly different than the corresponding bridge model of the same pickup

6. flo

flo SS.org Regular

yes

7. AmbienT

AmbienT User has been banned

Why not? :cool:

8. TemjinStrife

TemjinStrife Power Metal Cellist

Have you ever played a Stratocaster? Most of them have three identical pickups (or, often these days, three identical ones with the middle one reverse wound and reverse polarity for hum canceling).

The positions sound DRAMATICALLY different.

9. Tzar27

Tzar27 SS.org Regular

Well, just goes to show how much I know about guitars, haha. Thanks for the input, guys, it helps. A ton.

On a slightly different note, (I'm just getting started with 8 strings -can you tell?) does anyone have any experience with Agile's 8 strings? I've enjoyed their 6 strings in multiple cases in the past, but I haven't played their extended range guitars.

10. Dommak89

Dommak89 SS.org Regular

Sorry, and don't take it personal, but Let me google that for you

I bet you find a ton of posts and threads just by searching.

11. Tzar27

Tzar27 SS.org Regular

Gee, thanks, man. You wouldn't think for a second that I might want personal opinions from those in thread or anything.

12. axxessdenied

axxessdenied :: 2077 ::

Add site:sevenstring.org to your search parameters and you will get only results from this site. There have been numerous threads covering agiles. If you look at the stickies on the ERG sub-forum you would have found this thread: http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/extended-range-guitars/15813-official-agile-erg-thread.html

;)

No need to be a dink to someone trying to help you out on proper forum etiquette.

13. meambobbo

meambobbo SS.org Regular

some people get different pickups to neutralize the EQ differences between positions. in fact a lot of pickups that have the same model name but actually are different models (neck vs bridge model) usually have less bass in the neck version to get a more consistent frequency response. The tone is vastly different though. Sometimes they have completely different magnets and are designed for completely different response.

presets have nothing to do with it. You COULD EQ the signal from your bridge humbucker to sound like a neck humbucker, but it's not the same - it's two different signals driven by different interactions of the strings and pickups.

and you shouldn't attack people on here, especially after asking a total noob question, then trying to shift the topic to something completely different. if he was trying to be a dick, he wouldn't have said not to take it personally.

14. Jessy

Jessy Banned

No. There is no "less bass". There is only quieter with higher resonant peak.

You didn't understand what I said. You EQ a pickup to "sound like a different pickup" in the same position. This only works if the emulated pickup is darker; you can't effectively add in missing high end.

15. hairychris

hairychris Hairy Old Bloke

You also have to be aware that the amplitude of the string vibration increases from the fixed points until you reach the middle of the string (approximately, anyway). More movement = more interference with the pickups magnetic field. This is why matched sets of pickups usually have a hotter bridge pickup as there is less string movement there.

If you use identical pickups you have to compensate as the neck pickup is naturally louder, as well as picking up different overtones.

16. meambobbo

meambobbo SS.org Regular

If you're talking about the same model pickup, just bridge vs neck variants, I might agree. But I do not agree if we're talking about different models. Obviously there is more to the frequency response of any given pickup beyond the location of the resonant peak. Or Dimarzio and Seymour Duncan's tone charts are flat out wrong...

Yes, I misread your original post. I had thought you were arguing that you only needed one pickup on a guitar, but see now that you meant you only need one model placed in multiple positions. Personally, I prefer to do that and I like to use my presets to shape the tone more than my pickups; however, I don't agree that one great pickup (assuming infinite SNR and 0 - 20kHZ flat response) could emulate the sound of any other pickup given the right post-processing. I believe there are valid reasons why someone would prefer a non-matching pickup for an alternate position.