Why do pickups seem to keep shorting out for me???

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by JustinRhoads1980, Oct 26, 2018.

Tags:
  1. JustinRhoads1980

JustinRhoads1980 SS.org Regular

Hey guys I previously in the past bought a set of seymour duncan black winters to put in my jackson usa and the bridge pickup was like shorted out for me. Was low output and had a twangy out of phase sound. When I would switch to the neck no issues. Middle position it would return back to volume without the twang (not sure if it was running off of the neck pickup and cancelled the bridge out or whatever). I got a replacement and vala, worked perfectly fine.

So I got a new guitar (I will still be making a thread about it soon) and it has passive pickups. The bridge pickup on this has now like shorted out just like I mentioned about the black winter issue I had. I checked the wiring, looked like it had never been touched aside from the factory. I resoldered everything on the switch and the volume pot (it is directly connected to the bridge pickup) and legit it still is not working!

I bought this off of ebay from a very reputable seller and he has not gotten back to me about this issue and I emailed the manufacturer and called the tech department to see if I can do a swap of some sort.

Is it me or is this kind of normal for pickups to just short out? I know I need to buy one of those meter things to conclude whether or not it is really shorted out, but this is a lot like the BW situation I had previously.

2. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire despair ahead

bad switches, bad pots, usually one or both of those is the culprit if the wiring is fine. Have you tried spraying contact cleaner on the switches/pots?
    cheaper guitars tend to use cheaper low quality pot/switches and i've had a number of pots/switches die over the years. I just had to replace the volume pot in my prs mushok.

JustinRhoads1980 likes this.
  3. JustinRhoads1980

I will do that.

4. JustinRhoads1980

Just sprayed the pots and switch with contact cleaner. Still the same issue.

I got a multimeter, is there anyway I can check solder joints to see if one of them is causing the issue?

5. Fretless

Fretless Knob Fiddler

Definitely not normal. Have you measured the resistance of the pickups? That will usually be a surefire way to tell if they are shorted, or if the problem lies elsewhere. If they're measuring normal resistances, you can try wiring them directly to the jack.

6. ptxxx

ptxxx SS.org Regular

You can check to see if the wires inside the pickup may have come loose. Be careful pulling the bobbin tape off.

If your sweat, or natural body oils are very corrosive, it can wreak havoc on pickups and hardware in a very short amount of time.