(Why) Do people here try to copy Bulb´s sound?

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by yidcorer, Mar 21, 2011.

1. ChainsawVsGod

ChainsawVsGod Banned

Your right. I have been pretty rude and inflammatory. I apologize. I was still angry from a previous thread where someone really pissed me off. I'm not normally this immature. This bloody negative rep is gonna follow me around now. Pretty annoyin. Think I've got about 6 now.

2. Kurkkuviipale

Kurkkuviipale Another Sinking ....

+1. :)

3. highlordmugfug

highlordmugfug themuthaphukkindeath

:yesway: S'all good, shit happens.

4. The Reverend

The Reverend GHETTO KING OF SWAG

@ChainsawVsGod-

I'm sure you'll be excited to find out that I'm more of a deathcore fanboy than djent. Do with that what you will.

Back to the OT though, something I think is worth some thought is why this mysterious ORCG is so fixated on djent/tech prog metalcore/whatever. I certainly have no problem with it, but that's not really what I'm getting at.

Like I just said, I come from a deathcore perspective, and I don't see too many beginner or amateur guitarists actually caring about getting better gear and recording stuff. If djent causes a wave of young folk like myself to learn something about good gear, and more importantly recording techniques, shouldn't we in a roundabout way be congratulating Bulb and everyone else who shares their music?

Prydogga likes this.
  5. Explorer

Explorer He seldomly knows...

Formerly from Cucaramacatacatirimilcote...
    You know, while this thread has been evolving, I've been thinking about all those players over the years who have admired Hendrix.

And Clapton.

Michael Hedges.

Rick Derringer.

Eric Johnson.

Steve Vai.

Robin Trower.

Larry Carlton.

Yngwie Malsteen.

Eddie Van Halen.

I remember hearing an interview with B.B King, about him hearing some kid who was an excellent blues player, but the guy got involved in all that psychedelic shit, and wound up dead eventually. Everyone has to start somewhere, and although Jimmy James eventually went somewhere completely unexpected, the fact is that Hendrix was still a great blues player.

So, there are people who want to emulate their heroes, huh? There are all kinds of people who spend time in websites to find out how to emulate the sound of the Edge, or of David Gilmour, and who post reviews of gear to exactly duplicate such.

Everyone has to start somewhere. I don't think that anyone here is able to say, I learned guitar in a complete vacuum, and I came up with a completely new style!

Geez, I remember how I learned guitar. I learned the basic chords, then a few barre chords, then I woodshed on Rush's "2112," and then I learned chords by ear from the piano playing on Steely Dan albums. (That's true. I probably can't name half of what these chords are, but I know how they fit together and flow. I would never have learned how to play this stuff if Fagen and company hadn't gone there first, even if it was originally on a different instrument.)

I just feel that it's worth mentioning that very few of us learn to play in a complete vacuum. For those who feel that kids are copying their heroes too closely, I'd love to hear what those people developed without ever learning material from any other players. I'm ready to be amazed.

Otherwise, I have to wonder... what is the point of complaining about this? That some of us took the correct path because we knew when to quit the emulation, and that others didn't toe that obviously correct line?

I like what I like, and listen to it and play it. To say that someone else is wrong to like what they like musically seems just a little bit foolish. If you're looking for musical variety, then look for groups like the Beatles. Only seven years in total, and look at how varied their material was! How drab metal looks in comparison, no?

----

Ah, kids with their earnest ideas... how cute! They're young, but eventually they'll learn....

6. SenorDingDong

SenorDingDong Smeller of Smells

I think that all that needs to be said has been said, we all emulate our idols, hoping to use their influences to create something new and unqiue, or maybe just be able to play like them. Either way it isn't a good thing, or a bad thing, its just peoples personal taste.

7. Adam Of Angels

Adam Of Angels The GAS Man Contributor

There's a lot of young guys and beginners on this site. When you're starting out, it's perfectly healthy to take after your heroes and favorite players. These dudes are inspired by Bulb's music and some of their earliest accomplishments are recordings that sound convincingly like his material. It's not rocket science.

8. Iheartmidgetbooty

Iheartmidgetbooty Recording Studio Nub

I think that why it makes some people a bit pissy is the fact that it came from one person. Bulb made that tone really bite people's imaginations, and thus a new trend was born. It's the equivalent of the Drop A tuning. Everyone listened to Acacia Strain and Oceano and they were like "OMFG ITS SO HEAVY LULZ I NEED TO TRY THIS" and thus many more bands like this were born. It's a trend, more will come along, you just have to roll with it and do what you do. Djent is awfully a lot like metalcore - it just has a catchy theme to it.

9. thedrummerkid

thedrummerkid Sweater Bandit

It's that tasty groove. :djent:

10. USMarine75

USMarine75 Doc McStuffins Contributor

:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown: You beat me to it... what's new about chasing tone??? Like you said everyone wanted EVHs sound in the 80's and 90's. It was about having mids... then it became about Dimebag... about scooping mids... Drop D was huge... then Korn and 7-strings... and now its detuned 7's and 8's... music evolves... music copies... how many guitarists want to sound different than their 'heroes'? Fuck I have a Peavey Wolfgang collection and 5150 amps... but I rarely play that style now 20 years later... I've evolved... I was looking at replacing one of my baby's EVH customs with BKPs... you know... so I can sound like everyone else now lol.

11. USMarine75

USMarine75 Doc McStuffins Contributor

This reminded me of a quote from Jeff Beck during his Hall of Fame induction / 25th anniversary performance... when he introduced Buddy Guy and said something along the lines of, for all you Hendrix fans, this was the man that influenced him... and damn if he didn't wail at 70 (?) 'like' Hendrix.

Jimi Hendrix: “Heaven is lying at Buddy Guy’s feet while listening to him play guitar.”
    <SUP></SUP>
    Jeff Beck: "Geez, you can’t forget Buddy Guy. He transcended blues and started becoming theater. It was high art, kind of like drama theater when he played, you know. He was playing behind his head long before Hendrix. I once saw him throw the guitar up in the air and catch it in the same chord."

We all have our 'heroes' we want to sound like... nothing wrong with that!

12. Zand3

Zand3 ss.org Irregular

The fact that people are angry because Bulb is inspiring many people to make similar sounding music kind of annoys me. People seem to forget that once someone starts to write a song it is fully theirs, as it came from their soul, or their unique creative self. Just because Bulb started what we think of as the 'Bulb' sound, it doesn't mean it could not have come from any one of his fans before him. The music that comes from us is based on who we are, and we are all different, but you'll always find people with similarities to you, that's why we have friends who like the same music as us, and when someone decides that they like Bulb's music, it's because it resonates with something that was already inside of them, not something that they discovered and decided to steal for themselves.

If someone truly feels unoriginal after writing a song that sounds like Bulb, then clearly they didn't write it from the soul and their own tastes, and what happened with Mattayus will simply occur where they won't feel true to it, and will simply push it aside as a learning experience (the time it takes for this occur may vary, I'm sure). If someone writes a song that is true to them, it is still allowed to sound Djenty if that's what resonates from inside that person, and no one is allowed to judge someone for their creative soul, even if it resonates with similar things as someone who happened to create a lot of music first.

13. CrushingAnvil

CrushingAnvil \m not jesus land m/

What eaeolian said: Imitating a tone without the gear said tone is comprised of is a good way to develope your own expressive tone from your fingers.

But what the OP is referring to can be explained easily:

They're douchebags. This is the kind of thing that makes me HATE Djent fans but not the bands themselves...I don't listen to Periphery, Animals as Leaders or Tesseract but I can guarantee I'll find their fans to be total dickbag fanboys.

:yesway:

Ben.Last likes this.
  14. jats

jats Need more sleep.

this should have ended the thread.

15. Stealthdjentstic

Stealthdjentstic Banned

You seriously bumped this to say that :lol:

16. FireInside

FireInside THE. DEAD. SEASON.

17. friendforafoe

friendforafoe Chugga+Djent=Happy Contributor

Asking why people try to copy Bulb&#8217;s sound is like asking why do we all have seven strings &#8230; Actually, no, it&#8217;s not, but my point is that there&#8217;s usually a method behind the madness. When something that was once new and exciting such as &#8220;djent&#8221; (which I thought it was called progressive metal, but whatevers) becomes popular, aspiring musicians follow because of market saturation. Not necessarily because it&#8217;s the new &#8220;it&#8221; item and it makes the monies (however, some people DO follow whatever is popular >cough< Attack Attack >cough cough<), but because it&#8217;s over-played and it&#8217;s almost like a domino effect of emulation because the music scene typically latches on to a given genre/sub-genre for a spell, then it moves on (i.e. nu-metal to metalcore to now djent). But what&#8217;s wrong with djent though? Technically, it&#8217;s impressive &#8230; more so than standard metal music imho, even if the tagline of &#8220;djent&#8221; has become almost a meme. The front-runners of the scene have been playing with some of the greats such as Meshuggah and Dream Theater &#8230; they&#8217;re doing something right. I realize I&#8217;m more rambling now (probably because this coffee hasn&#8217;t kicked in yet) so apologies for that. Specifically why people come here to the recording forums &#8230; Misha posts here, he uses seven strings, and you&#8217;re on a seven string forum. What&#8217;s a popular genre/subgenre/whatever that uses seven strings? Djent. Who&#8217;s one of the most popular bands in that category? Periphery. Who&#8217;s in Periphery? Misha? What does Misha use? 7-string guitars. What kind of forum is this? A seven string forum &#8230; now this cycle repeats infinitely and I could keep typing, but you guys get the point :lol:

Going back to emulating Bulb, you have to look at where it began with him. He was essentially a bedroom musician, recording with affordable gear, making music (or even covering music) that was pretty good quality. He used to post to numerous forums such as this one and when people who had the same gear or could tangibly achieve the same results in an affordable manner saw his posts/songs, it became a gateway into making quality recordings. Of course people would want to try and copy that because it was available. Unfortunately, because the advice and presets were so abundant and human nature is to often take the simple route with quicker results, people would try to directly emulate the sound, even if that meant ripping the tones and presets from these mixes. I&#8217;m not going to lie, back in 2005-06 I was in a rut with recording.

My bands and personal music at the time were metalcore/progressive metal/hardcore/insertcorehere and once I was introduced to Misha and his music, my creative juices got flowing (no homo) and because where I was music/production wise, of course I asked him for advice and tips. Of course I snagged his tone and used it because he had that sound I had been looking for. Granted, this was before this style became what it is now, but the amount of stuff I learned just from using his Big Bottom tone and mixing tips was insane. Me personally, I have a bad habit of taking on too much and usually take the most difficult path (which I find yields better and more rewarding results), but I took the presets, tones, etc and learned from them and over time eventually honed my own sound, made my own tones, my own presets, etc etc. I branched off of emulating and became more about progressing my own abilities. Granted, that&#8217;s my own story and I can&#8217;t speak for the forum, but like I said, it&#8217;s easier to copy than to create unfortunately and until people realize experimentation and practicing with your own &#8220;sound&#8221; is better in the long run, we&#8217;ll be hearing more clones for a while.

18. Prydogga

Prydogga Giddyup.

Edit: Didn't notice the big bump.

19. jats

jats Need more sleep.

:wallbash: FUCK. sorry I should have payed closer attention. It was near the top of the page and I didn't check the last comment. :noplease:

20. Larcher

Larcher fpoon Contributor

how did you even find this thread O_O