(Why) Do people here try to copy Bulb´s sound?

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by yidcorer, Mar 21, 2011.

1. yidcorer

yidcorer Banned

This is a question that´s been ringing in my mind for a while. I may as well have developed a bad case of intolerance towards the fact that people, in their attempts to copy the sound crafted by bands like Periphery and Tesseract and AAL, are lowering the standards for recording and creativity because, let´s face it, it all ends up sounding pretty much the same: chugged riffs on the 2 downtuned strings of your seven/eight string, Superior drum 2.0 presets, extreme compression, glitch sounds, pads going on here and there and the word (?) "Djent" being a per default tag for 60% of the threads on recording fora for guitar players.

Is my rant far from reality or is it really like I see it? Why do people want to copy a sound instead of doing their own thing and getting a mix THEY like?:scratch:

metalman_ltd, Nialzzz, Hate and 8 others like this.
  2. Customisbetter

Customisbetter WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot Contributor

It makes people feel good. Believe it or not, a lot of people play music that sounds good to them and Bulbs tone is really cool for a lot of people.

Copying eventually leads to more creative products. You just have to be patient. :cheers:

jarrhead likes this.
  3. shredguitar7

shredguitar7 SS.org Regular

because its easier for people to copy presets and patches than to come up with something original.. and on the flip side i can see it being beneficial to people just getting into recording. seeing presets that they can download and patches that everyone shares. its a nice start for someone who doesnt have the skills yet to tweak and tinker with everything.

4. SirMyghin

SirMyghin The Dirt Guy Contributor

As said above, noone starts with their own sound ,we acquire it through our influences. Pair that with a lot of the posters here being young, and in relatively uncharted water (ERGs). They may not know what to do with these yet, exploring something that has been done and 'works' is oftena good way to get your bearings.

It has to do with growing into being a musician. It is all part of the journey really. I know I did it with Rush in my teens and bass playing.

Scar Symmetry likes this.
  5. ev1ltwin

ev1ltwin Sad Redskins Fan

it's a combination of (1) youth, (2) trying to fit in, (3) it sounds cool to them, and (4) lack of experimentation.

while #3 might always be true, as these kids get older they'll develop appreciation for more sounds, they wont feel the need to fit in and agree with everyone on forums (maybe), and they'll experiment with more gear and find other sounds they like.

i know when i was ready to buy a nice amp and nice guitar, I bought got a mesa boogie mark III (old metallica and dream theater fan) and an esp m-i (metallica once again). It was the place I was most comfortable starting with. It happens that they are both great pieces of gear that I now appreciate on a different level, but it would be a lie if I said I didn't want to get a sound close to metallica/dream theater when I saved up the cash originally. Everyone wants to sound like their idols, but at some point they'll want to branch out with their tones. It's just the natural evolution of developing an individual sound.

6. signalgrey

signalgrey Ambiente Savante

I would imagine Bulb and Tosin started by copying Meshuggah and Petrucci among others first...then developed their own sound.

so you could ask them the same question.

7. Explorer

Explorer He seldomly knows...

Formerly from Cucaramacatacatirimilcote...
    Since I don't know who or what Bulb is, I'd say that not everyone is trying to copy that sound, or even knows what it is.

Fact: I've also only listened on one Animals as Leader's tune one time, on YouTube. I've thought about buying that album more than once, but I never remember to do it when I'm online, and my local stores don't carry it.

I'd also suggest that you're wallowing in an extremely tiny part of what music is available. I just bought the first Budos Band album, and it's just incredible. There's absolutely no djenting on it, or on the used Citizen Steely Dan boxed set I picked up recently.

It seems that your question is actually, Why do people who play in one tiny genre of music all use the same genre tags? If you don't like the sameness of what you're finding, there is much more music out there to be discovered.

Adam Of Angels and GATA4 like this.
  8. theclap

theclap SS.org Regular

First off, i fuckin love periphery, bulb, AAL, and messhugah. If I could narrow down my music on a day-to-day outlook, it would consist of listening to the two former self-titled cds and probably catch-33 once a day. Anyways, this topic is a natural order and progression of life. This is a cyclical topic where a few pioneers pave the way for what the general public couldnt find themselves. The general public then builds off of this new way and then it forms into something new eventually. Eventually, djent and bulb will go away, but that is up to you and us. That is why we are all here constantly recording and making mixes and practicing and writing new riffs to find that new next best thing. This takes time and preserverance.

9. ddtonfire

ddtonfire SS.org Regular

This is what I was going to say. Half of Bulb's first tunes on soundclick were Meshuggah covers, anyways.

10. GATA4

GATA4 Banned

Why does every modern classical composer copy Bach and Beethoven and all those other pioneers with them pianos, violins, violas, harps, derpdederps, big stages, reverbs, and the like?

Answer: it's not copying. It's playing what you like. People like and relate to Bulb, Meshuggah, AAL, Chimp, etc....so they play it :idea:

/thread

11. KingAenarion

KingAenarion Resident Studio Nerd

Are you serious?

You have more than 1000 posts on a forum that he posts on and don't know who he is?

12. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

The same reason why a legion of shredders want to recreate Van Halen's "brown sound" in the 80s, and a heap of metalheads wanted Dimebag's "scooped sound" in the 90s. And why bulb was covering Meshuggah back then.

We all have our influences that we're drawn to and in a sense want to recreate and live why we loved them in the first place. Of course only few of us do grow and forge a sound from our influences that we can eventually call our own. All in due time, many of the legions of djent grinders will stand out from the pack. Those are the players to watch out for.

A lot of us don't listen to djent, even with the over exposure this site is giving the word. :shrug: But I do admit to owning the Periphery album because it rules. :lol:

13. KingAenarion

KingAenarion Resident Studio Nerd

Yes but I was more reffering to the fact he's posting in the SS.org Recording Studio thread, which Bulb posts in.

14. AySay

AySay Banned

:ban:

Why do people buy Dimebag sigs, or Kerry King marshalls or any other gear used by a famous musicians? Everyone starts imitating their idols and growing from there. Nobody sits down and creates a tone or "sound" from nothing.

15. The Reverend

The Reverend GHETTO KING OF SWAG

I guess the obvious answer to your question is because they like it.

16. Stealthdjentstic

Stealthdjentstic Banned

Probably because they heard he posted here and got excited and then joined up :lol:

But seriously, nothing wrong with that, like someone pointed out earlier they're just absorbing influence. It might be irratating but nobodies at fault :)

17. Kurkkuviipale

Kurkkuviipale Another Sinking ....

This. :agreed:

And what comes to developing own sound IMO it develops on its own. If you force it, I guess the result wouldn't be as good. At least for me it would notbe. It most certainly makes you better in numerous levels if you shamelessly copy from others which ofc occurs most naturally as copying your idols. And I'm afraid that in these forums Bulb happens to be an idol for at least the 60% (propably more) of the people.

18. illimmigrant

illimmigrant A Different Logic

^^
    I wouldn't say an "idol" but he certainly has set the bar for home recording guys around here. His sound has evolved so much, it's cool to see people experiment to achieve similar results. Everyone kinda starts out the same way, aiming for their current favorite sound / style. The only thing that sucks is that if you're trying to get some feedback on your recordings and the title doesn't have the words "axe-fx," "bulb" "djent" or something Periphery-related in it, you don't get a whole lotta help.

19. leandroab

leandroab Stay Negative™

So if I come up with a trash metal song, I'm copying slayer, anthrax, etc... ?

20. Scar Symmetry

Scar Symmetry Ex Whiny Bitch

Because bulb has achieved greatness, and everyone wants to be great.

Simple as that.

Not to be the guy that turns the thread uber-serious, but we search for love our whole lives. Be it from a significant other, or through the validation and adoration of others who recognise our achievements in a form of media such as music, we all want to be the guy who gets a pat on the back.

Prydogga and Antenna like this.