Why do guitarists choose to play left handed?

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by ShiftPoint, Dec 7, 2017.

1. leftyguitarjoe

leftyguitarjoe Correct-handed

When I started, I played the way that was more comfortable. Crazy story, I know.

2. Herrick

Herrick Hello Mangs

I think that is the better question then: Why do left-handed guitarist play right-handed? Availability of right vs left guitars? Were they told they had to?

3. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

because all the used prestiges are right handed.

CrazyDean, Masoo2, Blytheryn and 5 others like this.
  4. CrazyDean

CrazyDean SS.org Regular

Haha. This is the only reason needed.

Blytheryn likes this.
  5. Necris

Necris Bonitis.

I'm a lefty who plays right handed, the thought of playing a left handed guitar never once occurred to me when I first started. Honestly, I don't think I knew they existed.

6. Omega139

Omega139 SS.org Regular

Being right handed myself, I always wonder what kind of crazy synaptic brain connections i'm creating by coordinating my left hand with my right to play the guitar.

7. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

I wonder if theres any of those crazy ppl (sorry) here who play lefty but with the strings as righty

seen it a few times online in both bass and guitar, even that would make far more sense on a bass, and I have no idea how ou could play chords on guitar. Like I get it, you learn how you learn, and you though it was easier/comfty to play as a lefty, but you (or anyone) though about changing the order of the strings to match?

8. SD83

SD83 SS.org Regular

And another lefty playing righty. Bass, in this case. To be honest, I was hardly aware of the fact that there are lefty instruments when I picked up my first bass. Or to be honest, not aware of it at all. It still seems odd. Like a lefty keyboard for a computer where all the keys are mirrored... or a car you drive from the passenger seat with the throttle on the left. Maybe it's just that my left hand is not that dominant after all. Maybe for other people it's more extreme and their non-dominant hand is basically useless. To me, playing bass, it fits perfectly, coordination is better in my left hand, more precise, but my right hand is faster.

9. greatusername

greatusername SS.org Regular

Lefty playing lefty here. My parents bought me a lefty guitar because it seemed logical, I learned on it and here I am playing lefty guitars. I get that availability serves the righty better, but you should IMO just learn on whatever feels comfortable to you. I don't understand people who are proud to say left handed guitars are unnatural and shouldn't exist and try to justify it by saying that other instruments aren't available in lefty versions. I don't get why people get hurt by the existence of things just because they don't need it. "It should not be a thing because it is not beneficial to me" kind of mindset? Anyway, I just think you should play whatever you want/can and enjoy music.

10. Mboogie7

Mboogie7 SS.org Regular

I did learn initially, on a right handed guitar upside down, so I am able to play one with *fairly* relative ease (depending on the song, of course. I can't shred on a righty upside down lol). I found that it expanded my creative thinking when approaching the instrument.

11. diagrammatiks

i'm glad that it works for you. But this is a discussion thread where people are just happily discussing things. If left handed guitars exist so be it.

However, as a lefty playing righty I've definitely spent at least 30 minutes at some point thinking about this problem and I still haven't seen a single definite example of someone that has to play lefty. I have 2 kids and they will play guitar someday and they are going to get right handed guitars. The benefits of having access to a large and easily available selection of guitars far outweighs any left handed guitar playing benefits I've been able to find.

12. greatusername

greatusername SS.org Regular

Didn't want to be incisive, I just don't understand the need for such bold statement has "that shouldn't exist". Of course learning right handed brings advantages such as not being restricted in buying guitars and being able to pick up pretty much any axe and play. I was just trying to explain that some of us just didn't make the choice, or at least not an informed choice and that instruments should be available for those of us who play lefty so they can play music because, in the end, that's what we all aspire to do :hbang:.

13. Malevolent_Croatian

Malevolent_Croatian SS.org Regular

Can someone get the word out to Mr. Iommi, let him know that he's been doing it wrong for the last 50 years?

We're a bit late to reach out to mr. Hendrix in the flesh, but we can crowdfund a totally legitimate psychic to send him a message and ask him what the big idea was.

14. Lukhas

Lukhas SS.org Regular

Considering Iommi, I sometimes wonder why he didn't switch after what happened to his right-hand. Well he did have a good career anyway.

15. Malevolent_Croatian

Malevolent_Croatian SS.org Regular

If anything it's a testament that proves some people simply need lefty guitars. I'm a lefty and I play righty, but the whole left-right dominance thing is not a simple binary 0 or 1 switch where everyone can do everything equally as per their assigned role based on their dominant hand. People are not computers and when looking at each individual it's more of where they land in a spectrum as far as their abilities with their dominant and non-dominant hands go.

The very fact that there are people who will do all kinds of shit to play the way they want, tells me the existence of lefty axes is justified. Just because you and I may be able to do it on a righty, doesn't mean someone else can, or that they should torture themselves while there are alternatives available.

16. diagrammatiks

shit dude. you don't need all your fingers. if Iommi and Django are any indication you can pretty much learn how to play guitar effectively any which way you want....so why wouldn't we point people towards the method that has the greatest number of options available to them.

17. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

:eek: they do exist!! the unicorn, the mistiocal creature in the flesh!!

hehehe :p

18. watson503

watson503 Los Cochinos

I'm a left-handed player who has always played right-handed - I used to play on my mom's acoustics as a little kid and when it came time to get my first guitar, I got a right-handed guitar - playing right-handed felt more natural to me. Funny thing is, for thirty-some years I lived a block or two away from Southpaw Guitars, it is like Mecca for left-handed guitarists.

19. Discoqueen

Discoqueen Dang tootin

Am I the only lefthanded person whose parents made the decision??

Like everyone has said before, you know, selection wasn't nearly what it is today back in 2000 when I got my first guitar. So to save some cash my parents decided I'd play right handed lol. I think my mom also talked to the guitar teacher I went to after getting my first guitar and he helped them make the decision. I don't think I had even seen a left handed guitar since I lived in a small town and went to the local music store.

Anyways

I was thinking about this the other day so it's cool to have seen the video. I thought maybe playing right handed as a left handed person may have effected how my brain developed since I was giving extra training to the non-dominant side of my brain-- but pretty intensive training, not just opening doors-- using the computer mouse was something I had never thought about but that could also work into this theory. My reasoning is that since it was harder for me to learn guitar with my dominant hand on the fretboard (I had to constantly watch my right hand always because I had no real coordination with it that was as precise as it needed to be) so this forced my brain to to compensate. I don't know what the implications of that would be or what advantage or disadvantage it could be because it is sort of a forcing someone to be ambidextrous-- which I am not at all.

I am wondering if this is some sort of trend that could be observed oi that's a freebie for any neuroscientists in the community.

20. WintermintP

WintermintP Lead/Rhythm Guitar, One Minute Winter

Unlike some of the other right-handers here, I for one, as a right-hander, would actually want to try playing a left-handed guitar. All honesty, it's a really great skill to have. You never know when those two-sided guitars popularised by Michael Angelo Batio might come up again. If not, I'd still say being able to play southpaw can still come in handy anyway because there can be times when that kind of a guitar might be the only thing available... or, what if you like this one guitar but it's only available as a left-hander model? Being ambidextrous in anything would be ideal for anybody, I'd say...

WintermintP