Why do guitarists choose to play left handed?

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by ShiftPoint, Dec 7, 2017 at 10:04 AM.

1. ShiftPoint

ShiftPoint SS.org Regular

Hey everyone!

As a left handed guitarist this question comes up a lot. And I see it discussed a lot on the internet as well. I decided to make a quick video as to my opinion and why I personally chose to play guitar left handed vs learning right handed. I would love to get some feedback from you guys as well. Hope I'm posting this in the right place and excuse my ugly mug in the thumbnail lol

2. Mike

Mike The Traveler Contributor

I'm left handed and play right handed guitar. Guitar availability aside, I really think there is an advantage to my dominant hand being the fretting hand. That aspect always seemed kind of backwards to me that you use your non-dominant hand to do the bulk of the finger action/work.

takotakumi and shadscbr like this.
  3. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

I’m a lefty playing righty and I’ve never heard a convincing argument for why left handed guitars should even exist

Esp Griffyn and Edika like this.
  4. shadscbr

shadscbr SS.org Regular

I'm a lefty playing righty, and I totally agree w the posts above- it feels more natural for my left hand to do the fretboard work.

I've always thought the "righty's" had it wrong for both guitars and the mouse. I use the mouse and write at the same time all day long, the mouse should be on the right side :)

5. iamaom

iamaom SS.org Regular

Most guys jerk it with their dominant hand, so that's a no-go.

Herrick, Edika, Vyn and 4 others like this.
  6. shadscbr

shadscbr SS.org Regular

LOL...i'm old/pre internet, i turned the pages with my dominant hand :lol:

Herrick, A-Branger and Mike like this.
  7. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

See i feel like this is the more relevant question. What hand do you jerk it with? Shouldn't that hand be the strumming hand?

8. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire 8 string hoarder

Also a lefty playing righty. I made a conscious decision to play right handed because there's fuck all for left handed guitars (and it was even worse when I started learning 15+ years ago). Barring that I don't think me playing righty allows me to play any better than I likely would have if I played lefty. You still need the synchronization/coordination of both hands no matter what, I don't think that it really matters honestly. The practicality of being able to find and play 99% of guitars out there is the key reason to never play lefty.
    Asking the important questions lmao

9. EverDream

EverDream SS.org Regular

I use my dominant hand to do whatever requires the most precise control, since I find it way more difficult to do such things with my non-dominant hand. I am right handed, and on guitar I feel I need more precise control over picking, so the right handed guitars are in harmony with the way I work. Likewise on computer, I use my right hand for the mouse work because that's the work that requires the most precise control, my left hand is then free to do other more simple things that don't require as much control, and yes I do need precise control of the mouse while doing this left handed thing! :lol:

10. ThomasUV777

ThomasUV777 SS.org Regular

Lefty playing right here. Even tho I use my left hand to write stuff, I use my right to cut stuff, play guitar and jerk it.

11. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

I'm equally clumbsy with both hands. I broke my right arm once, and kept on keeping on by writing with my left. No one even noticed any change in my penmanship. Every once in a while, I'll flip my guitar over and try to play it upside-down and backwards, hoping it'll improve my playing, but I still play just as shitty that way as I do the conventional way. blech

cwhitey2 likes this.
  12. Eptaceros

Eptaceros Wayfarer

I'm a lefty in all aspects of life, including guitar. When I started playing at the age of twelve, my thought process was "Well if I hold a pen/utensil with left hand, I should hold the pick in my left hand too". By the time I realized how dumb it was to be a lefty guitarist, I felt too invested in my skills as a lefty. If I could go back, I would 100% start off as a righty. Like someone already mentioned, it's all about synchronizing both hands, and everyone starts off at level 0 anyway.

13. Blytheryn

Blytheryn Musical Adam West

Lefty playing righty here. Had to learn 4 chords for music class in 8th grade, and they didn't have left handed guitars, so hey, winged it.

14. Vyn

Vyn Not a Sparkly Vampire

I'm a lefty playing righty although I've been learning to play lefthanded to give my right hand a bit more dexterity. Mainly so one day I can play this haha:

Mathemagician likes this.
  15. lemeker

lemeker SS.org Slacker

I'm a lefty playing righty simply because as odd as it might sound, playing right handed felt more comfortable. I do think I've been hindered a bit and had to practice more finger dexterity exercises than if I would have played left, but I wouldn't switch for the world.

I did have a friend in high school, who was left handed and played a right handed guitar upside down, didnt restring, just played upside down, got really good too.

16. RoRo56

RoRo56 SS.org Regular

Although I only have a very basic level of guitar, I play left handed. It just felt so much more comfortable having the pic in my left hand. I'm mostly ambidextrous but write with my left.

17. CrazyDean

CrazyDean SS.org Regular

Lefty who plays righty, here. I'll address your title, first. "Why do guitarists choose to play left-handed?" I'd say that they don't. When you're making that decision, you're not a guitarist, yet. It doesn't really make sense for you to even be making that decision for yourself. The same goes for every aspect of playing. I know people who are more or less "self-taught", and they're holding themselves back because they refuse to use their pinky or they hold the neck with their palm, reducing the amount of the fretboard they can cover. These things need to be taught just as holding a guitar properly needs to be taught.

You need both hands to play guitar. Why does it matter which hand picks and which frets? I'm very glad that I learned how to play right-handed simply because buying guitars is so much easier. Very few of the guitars I've owned were ever offered in left-handed.

People always give the same excuses: "Why should I have to be like everyone else?" or "It feels more comfortable this way." When I was first learning, both ways felt weird because I didn't know how to play the instrument. It's like people are being different simply because they see it as some sort of self expression. Not because they are being creative or innovative. It's different for the sake of being different.

Also, what's the creaking in the video? It sounds like you are on 17th century ship, lol.

18. BenjaminW

BenjaminW SS.org Regular

I'm left handed, but I ended up going right handed. Unless if I wanna be Michael Angelo Batio and play ambidextrous.

19. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

at work, so haven't watch you vid but

I say cause the right hand ( for a righty ) is more important. you can have the a great dexterous left fretting hand and a bad right playing hand and you will still suck no matter what .rythm , lead whatever. without a solid playing hand you ain't got it

but with a great playing hand and just a half way decent fret hand you can make great music

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017 at 8:43 PM
  20. Grand Moff Tim

Grand Moff Tim Some call me... Tim

And then you have guitarists like Eric Gales, who is actually right handed, but flips right handed guitars over and plays them left handed.