Why are tRump hotels touting holiday savings instead of christmas savings?

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Explorer, Nov 30, 2015.

1. pwsusi

pwsusi SS.org Regular

Wow...nice condescending answer Explorer. Not sure if the intent is to make your statements more persuasive or if it's a way to make yourself feel intellectually superior, but either way it's really unnecessary.

Regarding Kerry. Apologizing for someone who sympathizes with murderers days after they killed 12 innocent people exercising free speach? That's how far you'll go to back someone from your own party/idioiology? I bet you would feel differently if among the dead were friends or family members. Just because he corrected one word in his comment does change the spirit of what he was saying.

As for your other other comment about the morons at the Trump rally. Is that the best you can do? I guess if the morons at the Trump rally speak for all conservatives or Trump supporters than these people below must speak for all democrats or liberals. I thought you said you would never see something like this from the left? [​IMG]

2. russmuller

russmuller Cramblin' Contributor

Do you think your example is remotely equivalent?

A sign about a public figure (and arguably a war criminal depending on your point of view), which is clearly intended as a joke rather than an actual call to violence, is a lot different from the cries at the Trump rally. There's a big distinction between the two.

3. pwsusi

pwsusi SS.org Regular

Not sure why you decided to throw the war criminal thing in there. Seems like your justifying it but then on the other hand back off by saying it was only a joke. There is nothing indicating this is a joke. It's a joke until something violent happens. I hear an awful lot from the left condemning hate speech, banning kids from wearing stupid Star Wars shirts in school because of a picture of a gun on it, etc...but then on the other hand quick to defend something like this.

Nevertheless, don't like this example? How about Wirbel's recent statements where he called for supporters of Trump to be shot before they vote.

"The thing is, we have to really reach out to those who might consider voting from Trump and say, "This is Goebbels. This is the final solution. If you are voting for him I will have to shoot you before election day." They're not going to listen to reason, so when justice is gone, there's always force, as Laurie would say."

How many more examples do you need? Was he joking too? What excuse do we want to make for him for calling for Trump supports to be shot before they have the chance to vote? By the way, this is ironically coming from the same people who vehemently oppose simple voter id/verification because of potential vote suppression.

4. russmuller

russmuller Cramblin' Contributor

Because I think what makes Trump supports so repugnant in the above example is that their response is simply to a random person's assertion that black lives matter, even though they had not been harmed or victimized by this person at all. A public figure is likely to have personally impacted the lives of many people, and in the case of someone like Bush is perhaps responsible for the death of their loved ones. People can have legitimate reasons for their negative sentiments, but yelling to burn a random person over #BlackLivesMatter is unreasonable.

The fact that it's a play on words since "dope" is slang for heroin and "shoot" also means to inject drugs. Also, there's a balloon flower on top of the sign. The person holding the sign is wearing bright pink, and generally does not fit the archetype of the average American gun enthusiast.

That's Trump's whole campaign in a nutshell.

That's a nice straw man you've got there.

And I'll agree 100% that is over-the-line, it's wrong, and rhetoric like that is equally despicable. There are wrong-headed people in every group.

You're going off into the weeds, man. I'm not making excuses for anyone. How many more examples do I need until what? I admit that some people opposed to Trump can be demagogues and nutbars, too? The claim was that the kind of outburst of bigotry and hate witnessed when removing a protestor is unique to Trump supporters. You posted a punny sign being held by a raver and I challenged you that this was not the same kind of response.

I'm not saying that there aren't people on the left who are wrong about things, or that nobody on the left advocates things that are clearly abhorrent and crazy. But remember when those BlackLivesMatter protesters interrupted Bernie Sanders earlier this year in Seattle? There were no nazi cries.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2015
  5. Explorer

Explorer He seldomly knows...

Formerly from Cucaramacatacatirimilcote...
    Well, okay, I'm happy to use your chosen example of Wirbel as a contrast.

Whether or not Wirbel was serious or joking on his personal Facebook page, the organization for which he is no longer volunteering, the ACLU, issued an statement condemning the post, and stating that the organization is not responsible for what people post on their own social media pages.

In other words, they didn't make a public statement that if someone acts like a trump supporter, they should expect to be shot, which would have been the equivalent of trump's public justification of a protester being subject to physical violence at his rally.

The example of Bernie Sanders was given, but I can even state my confidence that Jeb Bush wouldn't condone that kind of thing either.

I'm assuming you brought up Wirbel to show how organizations and candidates justify and tolerate calls for violence by their own members, but I'm not sure why it helps your case if it just emphasizes the contrast between the various groups. Whether you think recognizing the facts which highlight that contrast is just accepting reality, or instead something you'll take personally as a form of condescension, is up to you, but if it's the latter, you're gonna have a bad time.

6. Explorer

Explorer He seldomly knows...

Formerly from Cucaramacatacatirimilcote...
    So, here's one more indication of the problem, from Trump's interview on "Morning Joe" with Joe Scarborough and Mika Brzezinski. This is all right at the beginning of this vid, so it won't be difficult to find, and makes it easy to verify the transcribed portion which follows.

MB: Joining us now, Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump. Donald, good morning.

DT: Good morning

MB: How's it going?

DT: It's going well.

MB: Do you like Vladimir Putin's comments about you?

DT: Sure. When people call you brilliant that's always good, especially when that person heads up Russia.

MB: Yeah.

JS: Well, also, I mean, it's the person who kills journalists, political allie..., I mean,

MB: All right.

JS: ...political opponents...

(off camera voice): And invades countries.

JS: ...and invades countries. Obviously that would be a concern, would it not?

DT: He's running his country, and at least he's a leader, you know, unlike what we have in this country.

JS: But again, he kills journalists who don't agree with him.

DT: Well, I think our country does plenty of killing also, Joe, so, you know.

JS: But... what you do mean by that?

DT: There's a lot of stupidity going on in the world right now. A lot of killing, a lot of stupidity, and that's the way it is, but you didn't ask me the question, you asked me a different question, so that's fine.

JS: (pause) I'm confused. So, you obviously condemn Vladimr Putin killing journalists and political opponents, right?

DT: Oh, sure.

----

Here's the most telling point: Trump didn't condemn those killings on his own.

He had to be fed that question for condemnation to even cross Trump's mind.

I wouldn't have been praising Putin in the first place because of that stuff, but that kind of murder of those who disagree with Putin just doesn't even make a blip on Trump's radar.

He extolled Putin's virtues, then defended the killings until asked directly if he was asked if he condemned the killings. If he hadn't been asked the question which never occurred to him, he would have continued with his personal Trump version of praising Hitler for making the trains run on time.

Anyway, just another data point.

7. Xaios

Xaios Foolish Mortal Contributor

...and with that, my new personal theory is that Donald Trump is being controlled by one of the brain slugs from Futurama. It's being hidden under his toupee. That's really the most viable explanation for such wanton stupidity.

8. asher

asher So Did We

Nah. It's like Team America and KJI, except this time the hair itself is the alien.