Why are sevens with tremolos hard to come by?

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by WintermintP, Jul 15, 2018.

1. WintermintP

WintermintP Lead/Rhythm Guitar, One Minute Winter

I really don't get it. Every 7-string guitar I see it's always the same. It either costs over $2K, or it always has a hardtail bridge. Normally I wouldn't complain but I'm really tired of hardtail bridges and that's one of the reasons why I'm really starting to feel I need a new guitar, but they're all either hardtail or overpriced. The vast majority of the guitars that do have a tremolo and cost over $2K are not even made in a high-quality factory that would warrant that kind of a price, so what gives?

WintermintP

2. Dumple Stilzkin

Dumple Stilzkin Special needs member

Not sure why that is, but you can always find a used Ibanez 7620 or if you want a new guitar. A moderately specced Kiesel?

3. WintermintP

Due to the duties and also the fact that the Canadian dollar is plumetting into oblivion rather quickly, plus the living expenses here alone costing more than an arm and a leg (I'm not even exaggerating here), even a Kiesel is not an option for me. Even with Kiesel the prices of those things jack up exponentially just by having a Floyd on it.

WintermintP

4. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Where are you looking?

L&M have over a dozen trem equipped 7s under $2k Canadian.

Some are “meh”, but those MIM Dinky 7s are actually really solid.

AkiraSpectrum likes this.
  5. WintermintP

Yea, but under $1K? Anything over is really tough to save up for.

WintermintP

6. MaxOfMetal

Three under $1k, and an additional three (so six total) at between $1030 and $1050.

Maybe consider Agile? They have trem’d 7s starting at $185 USD and a couple at $360 USD. Even thier $600 USD models, which are typically pretty solid for the price, would come to about $790 Canadian.

AkiraSpectrum and Mathemagician like this.
  7. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

Cannot second Agile enough. They/their factory make great guitars at thier price point.

8. WintermintP

Considered Agile a bunch of times. I started to hear bad things regarding quality, so I'm against them. Plus, most of them have stock pickups, especially their more expensive ones. I'm not a fan of stock pickups. I prefer EMG or CrunchLab/LiquiFire.

WintermintP

9. exo

exo SS.org Regular

Used Jackson SLATX, LTD H-1007FR, Ibby RG/S7420, RG 7620, Schecter Hellraiser/JL/KM7 FR variants...all of those should be available for under $1k CAN if you keep an eye out. Got my H-1007FR with a VERY minor cosmetic issue (small chip on the back by the trem cover) for $500 USD from Guitar Center’s used section about 18 months ago, and there’s a trans purple quilt Jackson on Reverb right now for $650 USD. They’re out there.....

New? Hard to find decent stuff even for $1k USD....

Mathemagician likes this.
  10. MaxOfMetal

Not sure who’s telling you that Agile quality is bad, but they’re wrong. They’re not Suhr, but for under $1k you’re not going to find objectively better.

Also, just about all their 7s over $500 have either EMGs or SDs.

0rimus and AkiraSpectrum like this.
  11. MaxAidingAres

MaxAidingAres SS.org Regular

Honestly agile is great for the price quality wise. Now fit and feel is another story personaly. They have slightly thicker necks and smaller than super jumbo frets (like Dunlop 6100) and a fairly round fingerboard radius 13-15”? ish. But that’s a preference thing. They are super solid for the price like really.

12. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

Three things:
    1) A Floyd only added (at most) $150 to a 7-string build even with the locking nut...
    2)...but that's a moot point because they no longer offer floyds on 7-string guitars anymore for new factory builds (except the Lee McKinny model)…
    3)...but back to the first point, that means that used Kiesels with a Floyd didn't start out all that much more than a fixed bridge, so the value should still be there...or at least shouldn't effect the sale price "exponentially".

13. Dumple Stilzkin

Dumple Stilzkin Special needs member

I think you should consider a used Ibanez RG7620. They are very well made, the tremolo is reliable. Mine sounds really good and plays equally as well.

nyxzz likes this.
  14. Sermo Lupi

Sermo Lupi SS.org Regular

Hardtails are 'in' right now, I'm not sure there's much to it beyond that. In the past, there have been dozens and dozens of models of seven strings made with floating tremolos; if anything, people use to complain about playing sevens and having to deal with a Floyd Rose.

The hardtail thing is part of a fad for minimal specs that the industry has been going through recently. Satin finishes, no tone knobs...all very popular at the current time. I'm sure manufacturers are loving it, because it makes the guitars easier to produce while people are still paying roughly the same as they used to.

If you don't want to wait for the market to swing back around, or pay a lot of money for a new guitar, just buy used. You'll be able to find something in like-new condition anyway.

AxeHappy likes this.
  15. elkoki

elkoki SS.org Regular

This past month I was looking for a decent, not too expensive 7 string with a trem and I just couldn't find much. Some decent choices are, S7420 not the MIJ version http://ibanez.wikia.com/wiki/S7420. 24 frets, ZR trem.. But these can be hard to find sometimes. I did find 2 locally but they were about 30-50 miles away and I just didn't want to travel that far. These were going for $260-300.

Schecter Hell raiser C-7 used. Comes with EMGs, Sustaniac, Floyd Rose Special. I've seen these for $500-$600https://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/S...-Rose-Sustaniac-Solid-Body-Electric-Guitar.gc

RG7620 comes with a Lo Pro edge. $500-$600 https://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/I...^412740288447-sku^114440507@ADL4GC-adType^PLA

After thinking about it for a while I wound up getting another 6 string because I came across a Prestige for $300

16. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire baritone zone

buy used ibbys or esps or schecters, or buy an agile. Agile makes great guitars for their pricepoints. I'm sure there's buyers on reverb/ebay that will ship to canuckistan.

17. Vyn

Vyn Not a Sparkly Vampire Contributor

A lot of Indo Jacksons have floyds. I think there's actually more 7s in their line-up with floyds than without.

AkiraSpectrum likes this.
  18. Albake21

Albake21 "Just get a used Ibanez Prestige."

Under my name says it all. Find a used Prestige. You can get an RG1527 super cheap. I got my RG752 for dirt cheap on Reverb.com

19. Dineley

Dineley SS.org Regular

check out Schecters or used Ibanez. Also Agile is a solid choice.

20. PyramidSmasher

PyramidSmasher Chess Dragon

ive had a few but I think the majority of dudes buying 7 strings from big box stores are strictly chuggers and think tremolo is wack