Who is almost completely satisfied with their rig?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by noodles, Aug 22, 2007.

1. noodles

noodles Contributor

My buddy Todd (siggy14) dropped off his Mark IV halfstack this weekend for me to play around with, specifically to flog at loud volume at band practice. Now, keep in mind that this is an amp that I've gasing over for a really, really long time.

Well, it left me wanting. The cleans were better than standard Recto fair, but I don't think they were any better than those on my Roadster. The rhythm channel sounded like a more primitive version of Ch2/Brit on my Roadster. Sure, the lead sound was amazing, but I could almost nail it with Ch3/Vintage. Of course, a Mark can't touch a Recto for brutal rhythm assault. I really can't see any logical reason to own one of these amps.

I've been finding this a lot lately. The more I play other amps, many with great reputations, the more I find that they just don't hold up. I've played an Engl Powerball and Fireball; a Marshall JCM800 and JVM; a VHT Pitbull CL, Pittbull UL, and Deliverance; a Bogner Ecstasy and Uberschall; a Diezel VH4 and Herbert; a Hughes & Kettner DuoTone and Triamp; a Mesa Mark IV and Stiletto. I've played tons of stuff, and none of it makes me anywhere near as happy as my Roadster.

I guess after all these years, I just finally found my amp. I really can't think of anything I'd rather plug into. Including my old Road King series 1, which isn't even close. I don't think I'm the only one who is this happy.

Cost no object, if you could only own one head, power/preamp combo, or modeler, what would it be? And do you already own it?

2. eaeolian

eaeolian Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore! Super Moderator

I already own the one I want, although I still do occasionally want for a Roadster for the "other" band...

:idea: Buy one just for that one!

3. noodles

noodles Contributor

That's exactly what I'm getting at, Mike. You could sell the Triple and buy a Roadster, but don't, because your current amp makes you so happy. You really only want the one extra channel that you'll be barely ever use, since you mainly play acoustic or POD-based gigs.

4. Leon

Leon {##[====:::. Contributor

i've found a similar experience, but not to the same extent. there's several amps that i'd like to run in conjunction with my Nomad 45, and maybe one or two that i could replace it with (the Roadster and Mark IV are probably #1 and #2 respectively), but a vast array that i feel are inferior in tone and feel, to my ears.

most notably was a $4k Diezel Einstein that i played. my list $1.4k Nomad sounded better to me, and was far more versatile (that i found after a few hours of tweaking here and there).

5. B Lopez

B Lopez Vescere bracis meis.

My choice would definitely be the Roadster as well. I kept reading about you praising the thing, so I tried it and it blew me away even though I thought I knew what to expect. Im 100% happy with my Vader 2x12, but havent ever been happy with a guitar :shrug:

6. InTheRavensName

InTheRavensName Dog says yes ^.^ Yes

nowhere near...

7. LordOVchaoS

LordOVchaoS NUDE MAN! Forum MVP

8. Shannon

Shannon Lord Super Awesome Contributor

I've gotten some great sounds out both expensive and inexpensive gear. However, I'm always on the hunt for something to top that. :cool:

9. Krunch

Krunch Krunch SMASH

I've exactly the same experiences trying out gear. I'm very happy with my Roadking tone all around. There are a couple of things I imagine I might want from my amp that it doesn't do but I'm not really sure if they are even based in reality. But every time I try out new gear I'm like, well this isn't bad, but it's not as good as my RK.

I tried an Invader 150 and I was expecting something else I guess, cause it didn't deliver at all. I tried a Herbert and it was pretty nice, but sounded like it would get buried in a mix, and.... the price? No. I was blown away by the Mark IV lead sound, best lead I've ever heard (and felt) in my life, but like Dave said, I can get a little of that from the RK, and I can use the EL34s to make it more lead-er-ific. I loved the Stillettos, but it wouldn't be a sufficient replacement for my high gain rhythm channel. Every time I try a VHT in a guitar store, I can't get it to sound remotely good, obviously I'm doing something wrong. Ecstasy didn't have the kind of gain I like. Ubershall sounded... bad I don't know but I didn't like it.

It's possible however that I just can't get a good sound out of anything in 30 minutes in a guitar shop.

The only amp I've ever tried that I said "man I could switch to this and be happy" was the ENGL SE.

10. Regor

Regor Double Edge FTW Contributor

I'm 99.9% happy with my current rig. Although I've tweaked it recently to see if changing the tone a bit would sound better on stage, I came to the realization that my previous setting was much better.

I'd like to eventually get an H&K TriAmp MkII, but in all honesty, if I were to replace my current TriAxis/2:90 setup, it'd make setup/teardown at gigs much more work and take much longer than it currently does. I like everything the way it is. So I'd say yeah, I'm not really gassing for anything new anymore.

Maybe guitars, but ampwise, no.

11. ZeroSignal

ZeroSignal Appreciates Kwolity Contributor

PODxt Live FTW! :lol:

12. Karl Hungus

Karl Hungus You're no daisy. Contributor

Stop it! You're bringing back my Roadster GAS! :hungus:

13. Guitarholic

Guitarholic Booyah!

I´ve never felt this satisfied as I feel right now with my Diezel Herbert.
    This baby nails exactly the tone I had in mind. And it´s not getting buried in the mix!!!

14. Ror3h

Ror3h SS.org Regular

Personally I'm VERY happy with my ENGL fireball.
    The only things I think I need for my perfect rig is the footswitch (so I can get a lead boost lol), and maybe some kind of reverb/delay unit for clean/lead parts.
    Other than that I fucking love my rig atm, and it's as simple as possible :D
    Guitar -> Noisegate -> Tuner -> Amp.

Perfecto.

15. Cancer

Cancer Cancer:The Crucifuct

I'm pretty happy too, although I wonder sometimes if that just Cancer-ese for "you haven't tried out enough gear"? For me, I always been able to find decent tones (for me anyway) out of pretty much anything, what I don't find often is versatilitiy. Is my present gear versatile enough?, no not really, although previous versions of my rig have been scaringly close.

I'm hoping to new Pod can do that for me, if not, then I'm pretty sure the Axe-Fx can.

16. Karl Hungus

Karl Hungus You're no daisy. Contributor

A bit more on topic...

I'm not completely satisfied, because as awesome as the Fireball is, I kinda feel like I need a bit more versatility, so I'm hoping to go for an Engl SE at a later stage.

17. Jeff

Jeff Banned from Reality

I really like my JSX, and haven't played anything I'd rather have at the moment. What I would like is nicer effects, in terms of both sound and ease of use.

18. angryman

angryman Djentleman

Mynydd y Garreg, Carmarthenshire, South Wales.
    For what I do the 5150 is perfect for me & I'm extremely happy with it!

19. sonofabias

sonofabias SS.org Regular

I have half of it with my Invader, now all I need (for electric) is the SE which is comming soon!:agreed:

20. XEN

XEN BEYOND 6UITAR & B4SS Contributor

I already have the tone I want with the Mark IV and the Chaos mod TS-9 from Bodenhamer, but now I just need an ISP Decimator, a Weber attenuator, and a Palmer PDI-09, and I'm good to go for now.