Who here has a Kiesel Vader w/ trem?

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by trem licking, Jun 30, 2017.

1. trem licking

trem licking SS.org Regular

I want to possibly order on of these, but I wanna know how the trem stacks up with floyds. What is the full pull up range of the hipshot? Is the tuning stability perfect like a floyd is? or does it go out of tune a few cents here and there? basically, I cant find any 8 string guitars with a floyd so my only real option is a guitar with one of these.

2. Matt08642

Matt08642 SS.org Regular

Seems pretty cool in the demo:

trem licking likes this.
  3. ihunda

ihunda SS.org Regular

Subbed! I am very interested as well, I returned a strandberg OS6 with a trem because it was so disappointing compared to a floyd... Hopefully Vader trem owners can share a better story!

4. Jonathan20022

Jonathan20022 Engineer

It does not compare to the floyd in any way. It's a hipshot contour, and I've actually tried the Vader Trem a buddy of mine had. It get some decent pull up range, I recall getting like a step and a half on it and far less dive range than a floyd. I have a Contour on my Aristides 060 Strat right now and it reacts the exact same way, the most floyd like thing on that guitar is the trem arm is angled like a Floyd Arm is which is cool for grip and handling.

The response of a floyd is insanely different though, I'd venture and say that the JP Musicman trems have more range/feel more like a floyd than the contour does.

5. eliaselias72

eliaselias72 SS.org Regular

Hi
    I ve got a 7 string vader with trem
    Generally it stays in tune
    8 stringers dont wear trems due to their extended range. I can send you pictures or a clip if you like
    Elias

trem licking likes this.
  6. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire highway to the metalzone

most people I've talked to with 8 strings with trems (either floyds, kahlers or the hipshot) say that they're relatively limited as far as pull up range. Basically more strings=more resistance/less pull up range, even with a floyd. If you want serious divebombs and such, I wouldn't bother with the hipshot or putting a trem on an 8 string.

7. trem licking

Thanks for the responses guys, and keep em coming if anyone else wants to chime in! I would much rather have a floyd, but I have had to send back a couple agiles with floyds due to issues... but may consider to keep trying as they are they only guys doing 8 string floyds at a reasonable price (correct me if I'm wrong here). As a side note, my brief experiences with 8 string floyds has been fantastic. They respond nearly exactly as any 6 or 7 floyd I've played with dives/pulls/flutters and all. I was hoping maybe the hipshot could be an equal alternative but as of yet I have not met another trem that equals the floyd design so again, I appreciate any insight you guys provide

Last edited: Jul 2, 2017
  8. trem licking

bumping my own aging thread... I recently got a schecter c8 8 string with a floyd rose and it fucking dominates! I really wish more manufacturers would put floyds on their 8 strings. 8 string floyds absolutely perform just as well as 6 or 7 string variants. still thinking i might get a vader one day but at least i have an 8 with a floyd that functions correctly now. anyone else pick up any trem'd 8 strings lately?

9. marcwormjim

marcwormjim SS.org Regular

How’s the pull-up on the B and whatever you’re tuning the lowest to, compared to the G?

10. trem licking

you can pull up till the strings break! i can get a major 3rd and dare a 4th on the G string with room to spare... the schecter is 28" so you could get even more with a 27" but probably not much. I have the equivalent of 9's on there now and moving down to 8's equivalent (a super light set of 7's haha), but as it stands i have no problem getting the pitch super high. Floyds need to be on 8 strings in more guitars.

11. PAINGVR

PAINGVR SS.org Regular

Here is a review by Gear Gods of a V6X complete with metal grimace:djent: Hope this helps:2c:

12. MMFB

MMFB SS.org Regular

I have a V7x. I love the guitar but the tremolo is not a good IMO as an Ibanez or Floyd. I've played both and have played Ibanez almost exclusively for the last several years. I switched to the Kiesel when I decided to make the jump to 7 strings. You can't push the tremolo bar all the way down on the Vader and let the strings hang at all because of the crappy design of the hipshot tremolo. The ball ends stay in a slot with tension they do not lock down at the tremolo. So, if the strings are loose they can move on you. I had one pop out before I realized this. It isn't a terrible tremolo but definitely can't go ape shit with it like you can a Floyd or Ibby. My next 7 will be an Ibanez. Hope this helps.
    M

13. BenjaminW

BenjaminW SS.org Regular

I was expecting the guitar to look something like this when I saw the title:
    meh8sb4fyhdwm7isbo5l.jpg

14. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

[​IMG]

15. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

Yeah, I have an Agile I picked up for $350 that has a Floyd. (And 8 strings.) I agree - it’s pretty awesome! Everybody and their sister will do a Kahler 8, but a Floyd 8 is like the persona non grata of the guitar world.

16. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Another guy with an Interceptor 8 Floyd. It's fun as hell and really makes me want to slap one on one of my 2228s.

The Kahler 8s need so much fussing to really give you something close to the FR experience. Plus the maintenance can be a chore in comparison.

I've played guitars with the Contour, not 8s but it doesn't really matter as much as folks tend to let on. It's a good unit, but not nearly as "fun". Range is less and the movement isn't as smooth unless you do some work on a custom install.

Really a shame Ibanez hasn't given us an Edge 8. Jerks.

17. marcwormjim

marcwormjim SS.org Regular

I think what we ended up with was Jeff’s attempt to make that.

18. trem licking

appreciate your replies, guys! I was on the fence about ordering one of these, but I need something at least mildly comparable to a floyd. I use a floyd probably to an annoying degree and want/need the huge range and tuning stability it has... my schecter c8 fr will suffice for now, i will wait patiently for other manufacturers to jump aboard.

By the way, if anyone else is looking for another sweet 8 string with a trem, schecter has their hellraiser C8 floyd rose back up for sale on their site. I thought it was discontinued because it was in the vault for a bit, but it is back up for sale in both colors on their new site!