Who can make me a strat neck with a flat fretboard?

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by kindsage, Oct 2, 2017.

1. kindsage

kindsage SS.org Regular

I tried USA guitars and Warmoth but, no luck.

Are there any similar companies I can look into? Companies that will let me customize a strat replacement neck?

2. Lemonbaby

Lemonbaby SS.org Regular

As that's probably the rarest feature guitarists ask for, you'll have no chance but checking with a luthier. Have you tried playing a flat fretboard anywhere? Might become an expensive lesson otherwise...

3. kindsage

kindsage SS.org Regular

To me it actually seems like the cheapest way to try a flat fretboard. I can't figure out a way to try one in person. I figure it'll be cheaper to just order a super basic neck with all the cheapest options, then ask for a flat fretboard rather than buy a guitar with a flat fretboard.

4. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

you are talking about an infinite radius? might be able to get 20 from warmoth and then have a luthier flatten it out more.

5. Grand Rabbit

Grand Rabbit SS.org Regular

Just go to any local guitar shop and try a classical guitar. Sure, you won't be able to really try out bending ( due to the nature of nylon and nylon core strings ) but you will be able to get a feel for a flat fretboard nonetheless. I actually enjoy playing flat fretboards for speed and chords, but bending is most likely far more difficult.

Just for reference, Shawn Lane's signature Vigier has a flat fretboard.

6. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Why bother, then, to re-radius the fretboard, they'd have to pull the frets. Might as well get a preslotted fretboard and glue it to a premade neck, then fret it yourself or have someone fret it for you...or just get a Danelectro.

7. diagrammatiks

ya that. but if you order if neck from warmoth you don't have to order it with frets.

8. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Oh, ok, yeah, I guess that would make the most sense. I don't think Warmoth does anything >16", though.

------

I owned a cheap Hondo with a concave radius. I think you could probably scavenge a neck from a cheap/knockoff guitar with no radius or whatever and use that, but it might need almost as much work to get it playable as it would to make a new neck.

9. Lemonbaby

Lemonbaby SS.org Regular

Didn't know Warmoth sells necks w/o frets. Should be the easiest way then and one day of work...

10. diagrammatiks

Ya I just looked and 16 is the flattest. Could have sworn they did 20 but I was wrong.

Yup they have a lined fretless option. For that sweet seeet fretless guitar option.