Which Scar Symmetry and Scale the Summit albums were recorded with 7 strings?

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by Ouroboros11, Nov 5, 2017.

1. Ouroboros11

Ouroboros11 SS.org Regular

I know my question is rather specific, but I was wondering if anyone knows which Scar Symmetry and Scale the Summit albums were recorded with 7 strings? Preferably B standard tuning too.

If anyone can help me out it will be very much appreciated!

2. chopeth

chopeth SS.org Regular

No idea about Scar Symmetry but I can tell ALL STS albums were recorded with 7 strings in B

3. Anquished

Anquished hhnice!

Holographic Universe was mainly B standard with a few Drop A songs. I think it even had an 8 string song in standard as well.

4. cip 123

cip 123 SS.org Regular

Pretty much all STS songs were done on 7's though there are a few 8 string songs tuned B to high A I believe.

5. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger Contributor

All Per's solos were recorded with his Jem, he also recorded a lot of rhythm parts with it too when the low B or A wasn't needed. He just used 7s for the low rhythms. I'm not sure about The Singularity album though, wether he was working with Strandberg at that time but he could still be recording with his Jem.

Some songs that I'm fairly sure are in B are Deviate from the Form, Trapezoid, Mind Machine, Artificial Sun Projection, Ghost prototype 1 + 2, Quantum Leaper.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2017
    aesthyrian likes this.
  6. Ouroboros11

Ouroboros11 SS.org Regular

Thanks a lot!

7. SamSam

SamSam GAS problems Contributor

Pretty sure the majority of the first three albums were on sevens and mostly tined to standard.

Not certain on the third but i and learned several songs from the first two albums in B standard.

8. Ralyks

Ralyks The One Who Knocks Contributor

I remember talking to Chris at a show around the time of The Collective and yeah, he was using 8 strings tuned low B to high A, butbhe used the high A so rarely that he just moved forward with 7 strings. Pretty sure that continues to this day.

Does Per ever use 8 strings with Scar Symettry? I only ever saw him use 8’s when he was filling in for Meshuggah recently, but then again, I must admit my knowledge of Scar Symettry post-Christian isn’t the greatest.

9. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

Scale the Summit is all 7 strings, except for the first album which is mostly 6 string. Some of the second album is an 8 string tuned as a 7 string with a high G string, but can all be played on a 7. Not sure about the latest album, though.

10. Xaios

Xaios Foolish Mortal Contributor

I thought STS used 8s on CDC, what with Chris owning those two Sherman 8s?

11. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

I know for a fact that The Three Dimensional Shadow and Mechanical Soul Cybernetics used 8 strings. Per confirmed it on this very forum. Not sure about anything post Dark Matter Dimensions though.

12. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

Chris used the 8s, but they were tuned BEADGBEG. The whole of the CDC tab book is written for 7s and I don't think he's toured with an 8 since CDC. As best I can remember from learning that whole album, there's really only one bit in Glacial Planet where I've suspected the 8 string was used. There's a really out of place stretch in an arpeggio that would fit right onto the next string.

13. MFB

MFB ExBendable

Not to mention, I think Travis exclusively played on 7s and didn't own an 8s, so you'd be able to cover at least his parts

StevenC likes this.