Which pod?

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by pastanator, May 16, 2015.

Tags:
  1. pastanator

pastanator SS.org Regular

so im selling a guitar to buy a five string bass and a pod so i can start recording for a goregrind project. my question is, will any pod act as an interface for guitar/bass/vocals or do i need a specific one? sorry if theres a better place for this thread but it seemed appropriate to put it in recording

2. Anti_Leviathan

Anti_Leviathan SS.org Regular

If I were you i'd just go with an interface such as the scarlet 2i2 and buying pod farm with the metal pack.

I use a PODHD300 as an interface and its just a hassle, seeing as how I have to set it on the tuner to bypass all the POD eq and settings just so i can use an amp modeling program. Plus I hate all the tones on the HD300, I get better results using pod farm.

3. pastanator

i mean is pod farm compatible with audacity? a good friend uses audacity and it sounds fine so id rather not spend the money on a "better" daw. id just get the same pod as him(an HD something or another) but i wanted to know if there were any cheaper options.

lol, tone isnt a huge thing for me. its gore grind. as long as theres enough distortion im good. and hearing the guitar tone over the speakers isnt a huge deal as long as i can hear the drums and my unplugged guitar

4. mnemonic

mnemonic Custom User Title

Any of them that have USB will work fine, which I think is all, except the pod2.0 which is probably 15+ years old at this point anyway.

You can bypass all modeling and just send the dry signal, using it as an interface only. Check the soundcard settings, no need to enable the tuner.

If you're not going to be using the pod standalone at any point (ie. plugging it into an amp or PA for a gig), you can save some money and get a TonePort instead, since they have all the same models as the podXT/podX3/Podfarm. You may need to buy model packs for some versions though. UX1 and UX2 has an XLR input for mic's, so you don't need an adapter if you're going to be using mics at any point.

Bare in mind these aren't the HD models off the PodHD's. They never made a TonePort HD. Same with PodFarm, they're not HD models, they're the PodXT/PodX3 models.

Free and paid VST's are pretty damn good these days too, especially the likes of TSE and LePou, and you would also be able to use those. Back when I used my TonePort through monitors as my main bedroom amp, I couldn't get my computer to run at low enough latency to play them in real-time though. TonePort/PodFarm runs fine with no noticeable latency, but I couldn't get VST's to run fast enough. My laptop is old though, and really has no business running a heavyweight DAW.

5. pastanator

i mean id be up to use the ux1 with pod farm, but would it work with audacity or would i need another daw?

6. Flemmigan

Flemmigan Snoofin' your gear

Any DAW should work, although most of the folks around here would recommend using Reaper, a nice free DAW with a lot of good features and documentation. Audacity is okay, but Reaper has it beat when it comes to features and workflow.

7. Chokey Chicken

Chokey Chicken mouth breather

Audacity really isn't a daw is it? A fully featured daw like reaper would in fact be much better than the audacity I'm familiar with.

That said, a pod basically acts just like an interface/sound card with the added benefit of fx processing. It's also less cpu intensive than using pc based sims. I've used both extensively, and the pod is my preferred method. A simpler answer to your question is yes, a pod will allow the tracking of guitars, bass, and vox.

8. Anti_Leviathan

Anti_Leviathan SS.org Regular

Definitely recommend Reaper, it has everything you need to get started.

9. atoragon

atoragon SS.org Regular

10. pastanator

is the limited version of reason that the UX1 comes with any better than reaper? and also does reaper/reason allow the import of drum tracks from an external program (Hydrogen)? i think with audacity you just save the drum track and then put it in as an mp3. like would that work with those two? i dont see why it wouldnt but i mean weirder things have happened. thank you guys for all your help btw. i really do appreciate it.