Which Keely Compressor should I get?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by WeBowInItsAura, Jun 22, 2011.

1. WeBowInItsAura

WeBowInItsAura Paranormal Entity

I found the 2 knob Keely Compressor for 100 bucks, and I'm wondering if it will achieve what I need it to do. Basically, I'm using a high gain amp with an ISP Decimator, but the Decimator cuts off a lot of my sustain in parts where I need it. Just like in the Periphery gear video, I want to use the compressor to counteract the gate so that I can get really tight chugs but have a lot of sustain when I need it. Will the 2 knob work fine? Or should I save up for the 4 knob?

By the way my only pedal is the ISP Decimator, and I may add my Boss PQ-4 but it is too noisy at the moment.

Thanks in Advance!

2. Beardyman

Beardyman Beardaholic.

The 2 knob and 4 knob versions are the same, despite the obvious difference in knobs. The 2 knob has those extra two "knobs" inside, still in the circuit. They're also adjustable, I think via a screwdriver or something. Not a big deal, it depends how much being able to twist those knobs on the fly matters for you I guess. I opted for the 2 knob version and saved myself like $70, I haven't really had to mess with the pots inside either, as it works as I need it to with the stock settings. Fwiw, i'm running a decimator as well.

3. WeBowInItsAura

WeBowInItsAura Paranormal Entity

Did the compressor fight against your decimator and give you plenty of sustain without any extra noise/feedback?

4. Rook

Rook Electrifying

Any compressor will, that's the whole point. Compressors and gates essentially do the same thing but opposite.

Compressor - if something's too LOUD it makes it quieter.

Gate (Expander) - If something too QUIET it makes it quieter (i.e. silent).

The two knob will be fine, it does everything the 4 does essentially. Check out the Maxon CP101 too, it's cheaper and when I tried them both actually preferred the Maxon, it's optical like the Keeley which is the key thing.

5. gunshow86de

gunshow86de Beef Jerky Time Contributor

6. sicstringzen

sicstringzen SS.org Regular

I used that exact setup in my previous band so I can tell you first hand it will work: Keeley --> ISP --> Powerball

Keeley compressors are great. As for the difference between the 2 and 4 knob version; tone wise - none, attack and trim (clipping) controls are simply internal pots on the 2 knob version like someone else said, having them on the outside makes it easier to set the compressor up if you plan to use it for multiple instruments like in a studio setup. I have the 4 knob and another aspect I like about it over the 2 is it has lines painted around the knobs which makes it easier to remember specific settings.

I ran this compressor into an ISP G-string gate, I kept the decimator at about noon and the compressor I had the sustain almost off but not quite - it doesn't take much to get the desired effect and with distortion I wouldn't go any more than 9 o'clock, clean stuff you can push it up toward noon. The default settings for the attack is zero and the trim is max but I recommend backing off the trim control a tad for extra hot pickups.

7. SirMyghin

SirMyghin The Dirt Guy Contributor

A very nice and very subtle compressor (not much squash I find, I run it below 1/2 usually though, 1/4 or so), not to mention the boost in mid mode goes from crunch to sing really fast. Love how it interacts with my amp.

8. Beardyman

Beardyman Beardaholic.

It does, yeah. Works great for that effect, but as others have pointed out, all compressors will do that job. My Keeley is however noisy, which I wasn't expecting. I think i'm going to throw a Decimator G-string in my loop along with the regular Decimator though, because the amp itself can be a little noisy (FJA 5150 II)
    I agree with Fun111, you should definitely look into the Maxon CP101. I love Maxon products, I doubt that its any different. I almost picked one up when I was in the market for a compressor for a good price, and would love to pick one up sometime to a/b with the keeley.

9. sevenstringj

sevenstringj Banned

I think Pigtronix Philosopher's Tone gives more sustain and is more transparent. But I can appreciate the Keeley mojo.

As for noisy EQ, Empress ParaEQ is very quiet. Dr. Scientist Cleanness is THE quietest I've tried, though not as flexible. WMD just came out with a fully parametric EQ pedal. I haven't tried it, but I'm sure it's way quieter than the Boss.