Which cnc machine should I get?

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by MikeNeal, Oct 9, 2017.

1. dankarghh

dankarghh SS.org Regular

You coud build a sphinx, i just thought this might be more user friendly. If you're comfortable sourcing parts from the bill of materials from ebay/aliexpress i got mine together real cheap. If you want to buy a kit, it really would be worth waiting for IMO! I'm sure it won't be too far off!

2. MikeNeal

MikeNeal SS.org Regular

I honestly think the shapeoko 3 XL is what i'll probably get, it has lots of good reviews, has the least assembly required and will probably be the easiest to learn on.

3. dankarghh

dankarghh SS.org Regular

Be patient Mike! I've been the guy happily using a machine with belts, my x-carve was running great BUT. Screws are a massive upgrade and the difference in price is negligible. Way less maintenance.

4. LiveOVErdrive

LiveOVErdrive SS.org Regular

What kind of maintenance? Just replacing belts?

5. pettymusic

pettymusic SS.org Regular

https://shapertools.com/

I have one of these on preorder. Let me know if anyone decides on jumping in. I can give a link where we both get like $50 or $100 off , can’t remember?? The current batch ships this January.

I really like the idea of not having a big ol cnc bed hogging all my precious shop space.

6. pondman

pondman Build Whore. Contributor

Unless your building for profit rather than a hobby I don't see the point of investing in something expensive that will totally take the enjoyment and skill out of building anything.
    I'm not having a go at you, it just baffles me :scratch:

pettymusic likes this.
  7. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear

You should have a read of this :) http://www.sevenstring.org/threads/ron-thorns-take-on-cnc-and-timeframes-etc-interesting-read.41039/

I already own a CNC for my business but will also be using it for guitar building (as a hobby for the foreseeable). I would definitely have bought one just for hobby building too. It does take a lot of learning and many skills, and plenty of time. There are many creative touches that are just are just highly impractical or almost impossible to do without a CNC too. I find it incredibly fun, along with the 3d design process. As the post above explains, all a CNC really does is automate the repetitive bulk material removal process. Personally I wouldn't consider those things fun at all - I'd much rather focus on a great design process, learn to program for a good cut result, and then enjoy the fun part of bringing it through sanding, finishing, assembly etc.
    It all depends what you personally enjoy.
    I can see that hand carving things would be fun, but for me it's a timesink and highly impractical. As mentioned CNC will allow me a lot of creative options that would be ridiculous by hand

Last edited: Oct 24, 2017
  8. dankarghh

dankarghh SS.org Regular

Haha sanding and finishing are my two least favourite things :p Right next to creating tool paths haha. Still, I use my CNC for templates and fingerboards and really love it. I'm pretty sure Pondman can whip up an amazing guitar quicker than anyone could make one on a CNC :p

Winspear likes this.
  9. ElysianGuitars

ElysianGuitars Vendor

I don't think that's the case at all. CNC's don't just puke out ready made products, there's still a lot of work to go into it. It also takes a certain amount of skill and craftsmanship so to speak to come out with geometry that actually works, it's quite challenging, and a joy in its own right. It gives you more time to do the things that do take skill and craftsmanship, like taking a rough cut neck and taking it to final shape, sanding the guitar to perfection, the stuff that makes it to the final guitar. I hand built for years, far too long really, and at this point wouldn't go back. My CNC guitars are just plain better, because I can spend more time on the things that actually make them better. I still have to do plenty of hand work, because I still have to make my blanks, I still have to do glue ups, etc.

10. pettymusic

pettymusic SS.org Regular

Yeah, I agree. To e
    I'm hoping it will add to the fun of building. I really don't see the difference in using this tool over that tool. They're just tools and still require a skilled person to operate them. You can't just flip the power switch on a CNC and expect to get a guitar out of it no more than you can a band saw to do so. I watched a guy over at another thread go through the build process using only hand tools. It looked absolutely painful and agonizing to me but, obviously, it was how he enjoyed doing it.

Another perspective: I can have all the best tools in the world , cnc, automated fret slotting machines, drill presses, you name it and Pondman will still build a better guitar than I and faster too! I think it all comes down to the skills of the craftsman and how he wants to get the job done. ;)

Winspear likes this.
  11. LiveOVErdrive

LiveOVErdrive SS.org Regular

Shapeoko is having a sale right now apparently. If I'm reading this right, routers are free with the xl and XXL. Too bad I already ordered mine.