Which BKP’s should i get?

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by zakvalkyrie, Nov 4, 2017.

1. zakvalkyrie

zakvalkyrie SS.org Regular

Hi everyone, im on the way of getting a new pair of pickups for my skervesen raptor 6 but im still in a dilemma on which set i should get.

I want something versatile, tight and ballsy on the bridge but warm and rich on the neck. I do not want something that sacrifices dynamics and is too aggresive so ragnarok is off the list for me. With that said, im not too keen on juggernauts either but if many of you had a good experience with it then i guess i could let it back on my list.

Im currently aiming for cold sweats on the neck and nailbombs(ceramic) and the bridge but i’ve been told it would sound harsh since my skervy is swamp ash and has a bolt on neck. Is this true?

2. Ziricote

Ziricote SS.org Regular

Why are not into Juggs when they might fit your description you are after perfect? Why rule them out when you have not tried them? Maybe you want the Black Hawks

zakvalkyrie likes this.
  3. chopeth

chopeth SS.org Regular

C-pigs or juggs, forget about the nailbombs in swamp ash

zakvalkyrie likes this.
  4. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire 8 string hoarder

black dog bridge/vhii or coldsweat neck.

zakvalkyrie likes this.
  5. jerm

jerm SS.org Regular

Warpigs are what you want. Thick but still super tight. Articulate and not super compressed.

6. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

what tuning ?

warpig , both Apig and Cpig are great pickups but not a fan of them tuned low. they got allot of bottom end that does gets hard to handle int he low stuff unless you want super sludgey . but in D standard they rock

LeviathanKiller and zakvalkyrie like this.
  7. jerm

jerm SS.org Regular

I have C-Pigs in Drop A and it sounds awesome. Don't have the problem of too much low end.

zakvalkyrie likes this.
  8. Isurez

Isurez Skervesen Guitars

Hello! Juggernaut should be a good option. It's most popular choice when it comes to our guitars and it works perfectly in ninety percent of the cases. It's like if you do not know what you want then choose Juggernaut bridge (thanks @bulb) and The Mule neck. It's also a great base configuration for further exploration of Bare Knuckle offer.

LeoLmX and zakvalkyrie like this.
  9. zakvalkyrie

Drop c-drop a at the lowest.

10. zakvalkyrie

I guess i’ll go with juggernauts then, however i’ve noticed a price hike for bkp’s, is this true? Juggs are now 129£ per pickup, yesterday they were only 105£

11. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

they still may work for you. some love them low. drop C is def doable . drop A personally not for me . but it all depends on other gear and tones you like

I had juggs, both 6 and 7 string and they are cool. while I wouldn't call them outright djenty there is def a quality in the mids that lends itself to that sound .I got a bit over it after a while

unfortunately its all a bit of a guessing game with pickups . you just have to roll the dice to a degree ,and if you don't like em flip em 2nd hand a take a little loss and try something else

AkiraSpectrum likes this.
  12. Isurez

Isurez Skervesen Guitars

I forgot to ask. What scale and neck?

13. khm

khm SS.org Regular

I use a nailbomb on the bridge and VHII on the neck and pretty much covers all bases for me. My body is also swamp ash and I don't find it too harsh at all.

Alex79 likes this.
  14. oceanrose

oceanrose Pete

I have had both the ceramic nailbomb + cold sweat, as well as the juggernaut set on my guitars before, but rather in basswood and alder + maple top guitars respectively. What i can tell you is that the nailbomb is quite a snarly and hairy sounding pick up. Its quite tight, yet the overall eq is quite balanced and it lends itself to a kind of aggressive midrange voicing. It was definitely ballsy and suitable for thrash metal and those old swedish death metal tones. The cold sweat compliments the nailbomb nicely and has that liquidy deep note bloom in the neck position.

The juggernaut on the other hand has a very unique voicing that is quite middy and as some would describe it, a cocked-wah voicing. It can definitely get aggressive and is very responsive to picking dynamics however i find that i have to attack the strings hard otherwise it does not sound snappy enough on the low string (i imagine you wont have this problem on a 6 stringer). What i like about this set is that when set correctly, you can feel the low mid thumping in your chest when you palm mute. Because this set is more mid voiced, it sounds and feels more honky in comparison to the nailbomb and is more warm and less edgy sounding if you know what i mean. Suitable for less harsher styles that requires a massive sound that focuses alot on the mids and low mids.

15. Alex79

Alex79 SS.org Regular

I have a similar setup, Voodoo Les Paul with Alnico Nailbomb. Works well with the swamp ash body.

AkiraSpectrum and khm like this.
  16. khm

khm SS.org Regular

Yup I'm using alnico as well, really love it as it goes - and don't find it too bright at all :)