Which Amp....(yeah another one)

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Deadpool_25, May 6, 2018.

1. Deadpool_25

Deadpool_25 SS.org Regular

Well the Fly Rig and Powercab experiment didn’t quite work out. I like the both a lot on their own and when doing what they do best* but I didn’t like them much together.

So I’m exploring other options. I actually started thinking about the Katana again as a few of you suggested. However I’m starting to also look closely at the Randall Diavlo RD20 which I had completely forgotten about.

* The FR5 seems to excel through a tube amp. The Powercab seems to excel with a real modeler.

2. LeftOurEyes

LeftOurEyes SS.org Regular

I have the 1 watt and 45 watt Diavlo amps and I like them a lot, though they seem to get mixed reviews from people on here, I can get very nice tones out of them with some tweaking.

USMarine75 and Deadpool_25 like this.
  3. Deadpool_25

Now for @MASS DEFECT and anyone else wondering about the Powercab:

I think it’s actually quite good at what it does. I got the non-plus version. It sounded subpar with the FR5 but those two items are really not as compatible as I’d originally thought. The FR5 needs to be cranked up pretty high to get a lot of volume and then it gets noisy. Also the FR5 just didn’t sound so great through the PC in general. The best I could get the FR5 to sound was using the speaker emulations, specifically the greenback. I didn’t like the FR5 through the PC’s Flat mode. The FR5 did sound great through my tube amp, so I knew it wasn’t the FR5’s fault. But it wasn’t the PC’s fault either. It was mine—the two aren’t really meant for each other.

I remembered I had a Boss GT-1 laying around and ran that through the PC. That sounded much better. The GT-1 is a lower tier modeler and that’s still evident but it still sounded quite good just using stock patches. I can easily extrapolate that the top tier modelers would make the PC really shine.

I liked the GT-1 best with the PC in HF Off mode (high frequency driver off) and with some of the speaker models like the V30 and greenback. The Flat mode (FRFR) was actually pretty good too but had a bit more high frequency content than I like. The other modes definitely sounded more like what I expect a good amp to sound like in the room.

MASS DEFECT likes this.
  4. Deadpool_25

I’m kinda checking out the RD20 combo since it should be a little easier than a head and cab in terms of grab and go. I’m definitely not settled on it by any means but it’s on the list of possibilities.

5. The906

The906 Hella rad Contributor

Totally interested in this head ATM, let us know how it works out if you get it.

6. LeftOurEyes

LeftOurEyes SS.org Regular

Yeah I just mentioned that I had them so you'd know I know the tone of the amp pretty well. I think the Diavlo series is a little underrated for its price. I like that the 20 watt version actually uses 6l6 tubes instead of el84s like most small amps do. One of the reasons people are making a big deal about the new PRS MT15 is because of that, which the Randall did awhile ago.

7. The906

The906 Hella rad Contributor

Good to know, I'm in PHX as well. If either of you happen to no longer need your RD20's, feel free to give me a shout. :)

8. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

I know I mentioned the Mooer earlier, but I love my Katana Head and GA-FC. I could easily be happy with that amp. It is amazing for what it is...... but, I wouldn't buy it for direct or headphone use. That is easily it's strongest weakness.

Deadpool_25 likes this.
  9. MASS DEFECT

MASS DEFECT SS.ORG Infiltrator

Great to know. I actually had 10 mins with a Powercab and a Helix, and boy, those speaker simulations are legit. The Eminence Swamp Thang sim is very close to the real thing (at least from what I remember).

But yeah, they are really more suited for modelers since those drivers seem to have an extended high range. On cab mode, the PC sounds close to the Mission Kemper 212 Slant with those Neo speakers.

Have you tried it with a tube amp?

Deadpool_25 likes this.
  10. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

You'd need a good load box for that but it should work pretty well too. I think the crucial thing is just liking how a 1x12 with a specific speaker sounds. It's less useful than with modelers since usually a specific speaker pairs best with a specific amp so at most you might use different speaker models for different channels.

Sounds like OP might just want to pick up a used Line6 Helix if he can afford it.

Deadpool_25 likes this.
  11. Deadpool_25

If you mean the Powercab, no. I didn’t even think to try and as @laxu said, I’d need a load box to use it with one of my tube amps. I did try the Fly Rig with my tube amp and it sounded very good.

I could but definitely don’t want to. I’m staying away from the amp modelers for this project. At least the menu-divey ones. I want something very simple. Of course, my dumb ass just ordered an HX Effects and that’s a little tweakier than I was wanting so...lol

As attractive as the RD20 is, I think it’s probably going to be the Katana 100 combo. Just seems to tick all the boxes—even ones I didn’t even think about at first. For example I like that it has an aux in so I can play backing tracks easily. I wasn’t even thinking about that but it’s definitely a plus in this situation. It’s probably inferior tonewise (debatable, I’m sure) but the Katana series definitely sounds good IMO. I think I mentioned I had a Katana 50 a while ago and liked it.

12. USMarine75

USMarine75 Doc McStuffins (*Block version, not sig) Contributor

FWIW I have the matching Diavlo 212 ported cab with v30 and it is awesome.

Deadpool_25 likes this.