Which Amp....(yeah another one)

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Deadpool_25, May 6, 2018.

1. Deadpool_25

Deadpool_25 SS.org Regular

Budget: $500ish (but flexible)
    Willing to buy new, used, or order
    $200 credit at Sweetwater might be nice to use but not mandatory.

I plan on practicing and jamming with a friend. He will be using a Blackstar HT-5. I don’t want to use my 100W heads in that scenario, especially since we’ll be alternating which house we use, so I figure I’ll grab something small and portable—probably a combo.

The amp doesn’t need to be a tone monster, just something that has a decent clean. For gain, I can use the amp or just throw my BE-OD in front. We’ll be playing rock and metal mostly, but could be playing cleans a bit too.

My initial thought was a Blues Jr. or maybe a Blackstar ID30 TVP. The crazy person in me is tempted to get a PRS MT15 but that’s definitely overkill. What are some other options you guys like?

Edit: forgot to mention I have a Katana Air on preorder and would lean towards just using that but I suspect it wouldn’t get loud enough to balance well with the HT-5

Last edited: May 6, 2018
  2. EmaDaCuz

EmaDaCuz Brutal yet soulful

I would "return" the Katana Air, and get a Katana 50 (or 100) and a wireless system. More flexible, more powerful, good for home and for proper gigs.
    Also, the HT-5 in my opinion is not a loud amp, so even a smaller amp will do the job. Alternatively, especially if you jam or practice at home, you can get a decent PA speaker and an IR loader like the Radar, plug your BE-OD in and you are fine.

0rimus and Deadpool_25 like this.
  3. lurè

lurè by Azura, by Azura, by Azura!

My suggestion is Peavey Vypyr VIP 2 (40 Watt) or VIP 3 (100 Watt).
    They're 200$ and 300$ respectively on Sweetwater.
    In a small size you have a lot of different amps and effects, and the amp is loud enough for jamming with your friend.

4. sevenfoxes

sevenfoxes SS.org Regular

If you like the Katana stuff, I would stay away from everything but the head version. With a good cab, it will sound a lot better than any of the combos. You can get one used for around $250, and a nice cab 1x12 or 2x12 for around $300. Not to mention that the head has a built in speaker, which is quite cool.

A Peavey Vypyr would also be a good choice. They are cheap used.

5. protest

protest SS.org Regular

With the $200 SW credit I would go for the Tremonti amp and at least check it out.

6. The906

The906 Hella rad Contributor

Since I spend a lot of time on the PHX CL scouring ads. How portable? Several 6505+ combos listed for $400 ish now. That's all I got. Carry on.

Deadpool_25 likes this.
  7. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

Fender blues jr, peavey classic 30, vintage traynors.

NateFalcon and Deadpool_25 like this.
  8. 0rimus

0rimus SS.org Regular

Another vote for Katana 100 Head. I was going to hold out for the Katana Air, but after a few weeks I decided being wired was worth the cost of being able to drive a cab and an FX loop. No regrets.

But yeah, the 5" speaker is getting me WAAAAAAAAYYYYY better tones than I ever got out of any of the Yamaha THR amps I've owned (or any small speaker amp for that matter)

Plus! *shifty eyes* ... you get access to the Boss Slow Gear without having to shell out $300-$400

Damn I'm down in Chandler I almost wanna say meet up somewhere and try it out

Deadpool_25 likes this.
  9. Deadpool_25

@The906 I was looking at those this morning lol. That’s a bit overkill though and a bit heavier than ideal. Good thought though.

@0rimus I think I’m starting to lean away from the Katana. Not in general as I really like them but for this project.

What I’m starting to seriously consider is a Tech21 RK5 Flyrig and either a pedalboard-mounted power amp and 1x12, or a Line6 PowerCab. That would be simple and probably sound pretty good. The PowerCab’s speaker modeling intrigues me.

0rimus likes this.
  10. I play music

I play music SS.org Regular

Hotone Mojo Attack would be a portable and probably good sounding solution, have yet to try one in person though.

0rimus likes this.
  11. 0rimus

0rimus SS.org Regular

Damn. Really wish I had a recording setup, the Hotone Mojo Attack is another amp I own lol.

I literally only jam at home yet almost all my amps are super portable little gigging amps. Guess it's just my genre or something.

Might put you over your buget (definately would) but man, I'd love to hear a Revv G3 though one of those Line6 powered speaker things.

Deadpool_25 likes this.
  12. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

Is the $500 For just an amp or also a smaller/portable cab?

In addition to some of the amps others have mentioned, I'd check out the Egnater Rebel 30 or Tweaker 40. Both have good cleans and can handle rock tones too. The Rebel has the advantage of independent EQ for each channel, but the Tweaker has more voicing options and 6l6 power tubes as opposed to the el84/6v6 combo in the Rebel

Deadpool_25 likes this.
  13. NateFalcon

NateFalcon ...but I like Timaru...

I second a Peavey classic 30

LiveOVErdrive and Deadpool_25 like this.
  14. Deadpool_25

I suppose it’s just for the amp. I can source a speaker and either a used 1x12 cab or make one.

I saw a tweaker at GC today. I think I had one at some point in the past lol.

I also saw a used Carvin V3M for $400. I’m guessing I could get it for closer to $300. However I’m strongly leaning towards the Flyrig now. Seems like a cool option.

15. Deadpool_25

Thanks. Hadn’t heard of that before. I like that it has both the preamp and power section but I’m definitely not liking the cleans I’m hearing so far.

16. LeftOurEyes

LeftOurEyes SS.org Regular

I know this is overkill in watts and size, but since the Egnater Tweaker 40 was mentioned before I thought I should mention the Tweaker 88 which uses kt88 tubes. Right now a bunch of Egnaters are on a price drop and the Tweaker 88 is only $450 at Sweetwater, and with your credit it would be pretty cheap. I know this is probably more than you wanted for this situation though lol.

Deadpool_25 likes this.
  17. MASS DEFECT

MASS DEFECT SS.ORG Infiltrator

Another vote for the Katana 100W head. It's so cheap but it sounds way above its pricepoint.

Deadpool_25 likes this.
  18. Deadpool_25

Although the Katana is solid (I’d have probably recommended it myself if this was someone else’s thread), I have somewhat decided on something else.

I think I’m going with a Tech 21 Fly Rig. I think I like its tone if videos and reviews are a fair indication, and I really like its simplicity—no menu diving, no mucking around on the PC, and no screwing around with an app. I don’t really hate those things, but I guess I’m in a “simpler is better” phase.

For power and cabinet duties I called Sweetwater, canceled my order for the Katana Air, and placed an order for a Line6 Powercab 112. I’m intrigued by the speaker modeling, and it can do FRFR if need be. And it’s also super simple.

None of that is 100% set in stone but I think that’s the route I’m going to go.

NateFalcon likes this.
  19. NateFalcon

NateFalcon ...but I like Timaru...

I played a Ritchie Kotzen fly rig that sounded pretty sweet...

Deadpool_25 likes this.
  20. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

If you like the idea of Flyrig, you might look into the new Mooer Black Truck, or the older Red truck. That new Black Truck looks like it will be pretty cool.

Deadpool_25 likes this.