Which 2x12 should I get?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by JustinRhoads1980, Jan 8, 2019.

1. JustinRhoads1980

JustinRhoads1980 Jackson Elitist

Hey guys so I am planning on buying a Powered Kemper head sometime in the middle or nearing end of this year and I am trying to decide on what cab I should get. I decided that I am gonna get a real cab instead of a FRFR cab and I am looking at 2x12. 4x12's are too big for me, and 1x12's won't have that oomph that the 2x12 has so that is why I am looking into 2x12s.

I have 3 options that I have given consideration, but I am open to different options and if you have experience with any of these 3 shown I would like to know what your thoughts were about it and such.

The music I play is metal if this helps at all.

1.) EVH 2x12

[​IMG]

This is the least costing option of the three, but I have seen videos with this used and I think it sounds great. It has Celestion G12h speakers and cost $500. I am afraid though that these speakers though might not be the best option for the music I play

2.) Mesa 2x12

[​IMG]

This is the most expensive cab at $800. I have heard all around good things about this cab from many people and with the V30s, it seems to be more tailored for the music I play. I am conscious of the price tag since that is very heavy on the overall price of everything and might add a month or two extra just to get this along with the kemper.

3. Peavey Invective 2x12

[​IMG]

This is also a bit higher in price, but I find this option interesting. I haven't seen a lot of content about this on YT nor hear any testimonials about this amp at all. I am curious since it has a v30 and a creamback speaker. I do not know if this would be an interesting combo so I have no idea how this would sound.

Anyways I am open to any of your guys feedback on other possible options and if you had any experience with any of these cabs I would really like to know what the cab(s) were like for you and please go into detail since I want to gather as much info about these before I make my final decision.

Only request is for other options I want the cab to be a 2x12 and is maximum $800.

Thanks guys

2. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

With $800 and a bit of patience, you could have two of the Mesa cabs in good shape used :2c: I had a Recto 2x12 and loved it for all styles, but 4x12s are more my thing overall. Mesa are the gold standard of guitar cabinets IMO :yesway:

The EVH is a good option as well, though I would recommend trying one out in person if you can to see if you like the Greenback style speakers. If you like the sound of it, then it's a no-brainer since they go used for even less than the Mesa cabs.

JustinRhoads1980 likes this.
  3. ATRguitar91

ATRguitar91 SS.org Regular

For cabs and any gear honestly, I would 100% go used if possible. Lurk your local classifieds until something comes up. I see Mesa 412s pop up for around $500 pretty often.

Any of the options you listed would be fine, I'd lean Mesa personally. Built like a tank and it's hard to go wrong with V30s.

I've always been a fan of the Avatar cabs, and that gives you chance to pick what speakers you want.

4. mnemonic

mnemonic Custom User Title

Bare in mind the EVH is a 60 watt cab.

I would also recommend looking used, cabs are hard to sell so they don’t seem to hold their value well at all. That means cheap used cabs if you take your time.

5. Sogradde

Sogradde SS.org Regular

+1 on used cabs.
    You may want to consider an Engl 212 Pro depending on how expensive Engl is in the US. Those cabs are pretty neutral and good all-rounders imho.
    Otherwise I'd probably take the Peavy simply for the mixed speakers.

6. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Bearitone likes this.
  7. bracky

bracky Contributor

I have the evh 4x12 and a orange closed back 2x12. I much prefer the evh. It has a much smoother tone. The orange sounds ice picky.

AkiraSpectrum likes this.
  8. ekulggats

ekulggats SS.org Regular

All three of those are great cabs.

The EVH would be slightly scooped I would say, punchy and with a little more high treble presence than the others. I havent heard an amp sound bad through one. H30s are fantastic speakers- I'd say this one would sound 'Big'

Mesa would be probably more mid present than that but not at all ice picky- warmly mid present, as they use the Mesa specific UK V30s which are a smoothed out, more balanced version of a V30. Very nice, all around musical tone. Punchy

The Peavey I have never tried in person. I would say that between the three it will probably be the thickest most complex option, due to having two different speakers. If you're the only guitarist that'd be a consideration. It'd have a chinese V30 so you'd have that more 'modern' presence but that is balanced by the 65 watt creamback, which is a creamy smooth sounding speaker. Personally this one intrigues me alot.

Hope that helps-

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
  9. Ben Pinkus

Ben Pinkus SS.org Regular

I'd add Zilla to the list they make great stuff

10. vilk

vilk Very Regular

If I ever got a 2x12 I would definitely want a vertical one. IDK why the status quo is to have them short. Vertical 2x12's look better, raise up your amp so it's closer to eye level, get the speaker closer to ear level. Does anyone know? Maybe there's some kind of acoustic or engineering reason?

Obviously you can probably turn just about any 2x12 on it's side... but it's the principle of the matter.

edit: Oooh I just thought of why: maybe because amp heads used to all be gigantic and so you wanted to have enough space to set it on securely? Could that be the only reason why?

I always thought it'd be cool to put wheels on a vertical 2x12 like a dolly cart and you could just roll it up the stairs.

ekulggats likes this.
  11. ATRguitar91

ATRguitar91 SS.org Regular

Is that true of all Mesa cabs or only those made for certain years? I don't think I've ever heard that.

12. protest

protest SS.org Regular

I'll almost always recommend used gear over new stuff but if you want to go new and since you're not getting the Kemper for a few months I would suggest KSR.

You can get a vertical 2x12 to line it up with the smaller footprint of the Kemper and your choice of Celestions, mix and match if you want, tolex, grill cloth. and impedance options. Not sure if pricing has changed since I bout mine in 2017 but it was a couple hundred less than the Mesa.

13. protest

protest SS.org Regular

All Mesa cabs with V30's come with UK made, Mesa specific V30's.

ATRguitar91 likes this.
  14. TonyFlyingSquirrel

TonyFlyingSquirrel Cherokee Warrior

I think that the main reason for folks using horizontal 2x12's is to get wider spread.

15. Frostbite

Frostbite Periphery Shill

Yeah like others have said go used. I got that same Mesa cab for 350 with just a messed up handle through a local deal.

16. NinjaRaf

NinjaRaf SS.org Regular

Throwing this option out there because...well, they are pretty inexpensive, and mine are fucking KILLER...I keep one in my home studio closet for recording, and use the other one for live playing. Avatar Contemporary 212. They are EXCELLENT cabs with plenty of low end. And you get a lot of speaker choices.

https://avatarspeakers.com/shop/guitar/g212-contemporary-promo/

17. jc986

jc986 Tone Enthusiast Contributor

Mesa has always used UK V30's. When Celestion moved production to China, Mesa insisted that their V30's continue to be produced in the UK. Also, the grills that Mesa uses are coated with a material that reduces the harshness/fizz of the high end a bit.

There are at least 5 different versions of the Vintage 30, and all sound a bit different.

T3903 Standard 8 ohm
    T3904 Standard 16 ohm
    T3987 Marshall OEM 16 ohm
    T4416 Mesa OEM 16 ohm
    T4335 Mesa OEM 8 ohm

Even the Mesa OEM 16 ohm vs 8 ohm speaker will sound different. 16 ohm speakers in general have are brighter and have more fizz than their 8 ohm counterparts.

mnemonic likes this.
  18. JustinRhoads1980

JustinRhoads1980 Jackson Elitist

What might be best is I buy the kemper, plug it into the speaker of my dsl and get some good profiles to go to the store and try out the EVH cabs and Mesa if possible. Might try other amps there if there are other options, but if I don't like the EVH then I will be buying a mesa used. Seems like a good option

I will probably go Mesa. Unless the EVH amazes me.

I remember playing an orange cab at GC and thought it sounded terrible. Tried a friedman 4x12 and sounded so much better.

I agree entirely.

19. jsmalleus

jsmalleus SS.org Regular

The evh 2x12s sound pretty fantastic, the mesa 2x12 cabs are great too though, it's going to come down what amp profile and what you like to hear. My other guitarist snagged one for $300, we a/b-ed a bunch of amps and cabs before we did reamping a couple months ago and that evh did well with a bunch of different amps, so I might lean towards that with a kemper. I don't have a mesa 2x12 so I didn't get to a/b with that, but I have a 4x12 recto cab and it was a good bit pickier about what it liked running through it. I'm sure the invective cab sounds good, but as several others have said, used cabs are they way to go and you'd probably be hard pressed to find a good used deal on one of those. Vert cabs are nice too, I use a vert randall live and I love it, you can always just turn a horizontal on it's side tho & won't be missing much of anything unless you really want that floor/cab separation the casters provide.

20. GunpointMetal

GunpointMetal SS.org Regular

You should get one from Gallant Sound and tell me if its awesome before I order one.