Which 2x12 Cab for Mini Rectifier / 6505 Mini

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by serpentine, Jul 7, 2015.

1. serpentine

serpentine SS.org Regular

Hey guys,

So after selling all my amps about 3 years ago and just using plugins for recording I'm looking into getting an actual amp again (one of these mini heads) with a 2x12 cabinet. I figure it's a good middle ground for recording and jamming / gigging.

Over the years I've owned the Framus Cobra, Mesa Road King, Peavey 5150 etc. I used to use a Marshall MF280 cab which was basically an oversized Marshall 4x12. I'm not trying to lug that .... around anymore though and it's just completely obscene and overkill nowadays (which is why I got rid of all of it)

I'm looking at picking up either one of these heads this week but I'm wondering what cab to go with. I've narrowed it down to Orange, EVH, Mesa (iffy as these tend to be the most expensive even used) The new Panama 2x12s look nifty too, along with Avatar, WhiteBox etc. but again I have no idea as I can't try them.

I wouldn't rule out a 1x12 but feel I can't quite get the sound I want from one.

TL,DR: Basically I'm wondering if anyone has experience with the Mini Recto and these cabs (EVH seems most appealing as I can find it the cheapest) and what you enjoy most.

2. desmondtencents

desmondtencents Plays With Wood!

Build quality, options, customer service and pricing all considered......
    I don't have either of those amps but I do have two Avatar Contemporary 2x12 cabs. Both are awesome and I don't see myself parting with either of them. I also downsized from having two 4x12 cabs, couldn't be happier.

3. TonyFlyingSquirrel

TonyFlyingSquirrel Cherokee Warrior

4. starbelly

starbelly SS.org Regular

I can chime in!

I just got my 6505MH yesterday, which I have paired with my Mesa Recto 2x12. I must say, the combination sounds incredible. Really tight, focused tones that compliment each other. Thus far, I'm not getting a huge low end (that's to be expected with a 20-watt head), but then again, I haven't really cranked it. It sounds equally good in 20 watt, 5 watt, and 1 watt modes, although you have to fiddle with the EQ a bit between each mode.

5. MaxSwagger

MaxSwagger SS.org Regular

Carvin Legacy 2x12. Comes with V30's and can be found cheap (got mine for $250). They are smaller than most 2x12's but cut through a mix better than any other 2x12 I've personally owned. Well, my old Vader was pretty close but I still prefer the Carvin. I use a modded 6505+, not sure how a Recto would sound through it.

6. serpentine

The Avatars do look nice, and the contemporary is a nice oversized cab. They're a little more pricey new though. There is a vintage 2x12 for sale locally but it's a bit smaller and not sure how that would sound.

Yea, I'm trying to find a Mesa but they're all around $500 even used. Have you used the compact? I can find those for cheaper but have heard they don't sound as good.

Thanks for the suggestion man I'll keep scouring.

Overall I was looking for something on the bigger side like oversized and 14" deep. I've heard, I'm sure as everybody else that Nolly and the like use the Zilla fatboys which are extra deep to get that bigger sound.

There's an EVH 2x12 for $350 locally, anyone ever try that through a Recto? I know it's loaded with the G12H which I've never personally used.

7. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

Not sure how it would pair with a Rectifier, but I do know that the EVH cabs are solid, and $350 is a pretty good deal on one.

The Mesa Recto 2x12 is one of my favorite cabs, second only to my Traditional 4x12. I got my old one for $400 in minty shape, which is a normal price from what I've seen. It'd definitely be worth the extra $50-100 over the EVH cab, especially since you can almost always get back what you put in if you sell it later.

My only experience with Avatar has been with a friend's bass cabinet, but it was still well-built and sounded great. I imagine their guitar cabs share the same qualities, and I've been considering getting a Contemporary 2x12 from them to compliment my Mesa 4x12 or take to smaller jams or shows.

8. bkobus44

bkobus44 SS.org Regular

I have a Mini Recto with the Mesa 2x12 Vertical cab. It sounds incredible. Before getting this cab, I played it through the cab of my 6505+ 112 cab loaded with a Mesa UK V30. It sounded good, but small and lacking low end. Once i got the Recto cab, the difference is night and day. I sold the 6505+ to fund the 2x12 cab and do not regret it all. I bought my cab new, but there are used ones out there if you look around.

If you do get a Mini Rec, I suggest you get rid of the JJ preamp tubes and put some Chinese 12ax7's in it. Mine sounds so much more pissed off with these tubes than the stock. I actually just got 3 old Mesa Chinese 12ax7's with the square getters that everyone raves about for $2 on ebay. I had Doug's kit in there and while it does sound good, I prefer the Chinese.

I also run an OD808 up front and the Mesa 5 band EQ through the loop and it kills, especially at low volumes.

Hope this helps!

9. UnattendedGolfcart

UnattendedGolfcart SSO's Fat Mac

I have a Mesa Recto 2x12 for my 5153 and I think it sounds great. I'm still working on getting my favorite tone out of it but the cab sounds great, very full even at lower volumes. When you crank it the low end really comes out. I imagine it would be similar with a 6505 mini to some extent, and pairing the mini rectifier would be great too.

I just saw that Sweetwater has Mesa 1x12 straight and slant cabs for $450 on their site. I know you probably don't want a 1x12, but there's just another option right there.

From what I've read I think the EVH cabs are slightly brighter than the Mesa cabs, something to think about.

10. 7 Strings of Hate

7 Strings of Hate Mid-Level Asshole Contributor

2x12 recto cab

11. starbelly

starbelly SS.org Regular

Serpentine, I found my Mesa Recto 2x12 cab on a local CL ad for $450. It was in excellent condition and came with casters and a cover.

12. serpentine

Well it's looking like I need a recto 2x12 :lol: Like I said cheapest I can find is $500 but I'll keep my eye out for one. I guess the consensus is the compact just isn't as good so I'll steer clear of those.

The vertical 2x12 looks really cool too but they're pretty big and it kind of defeats the purpose of getting a 2x12.

Also found a couple Egnater Touirmaster 2x12s locally for $300 but not sure if that's even worth looking into when it looks like I should be shooting for a Mesa.

13. serpentine

Well I picked up the Mini Rec. It sounded wicked in the store through whatever I put it through (H&K 2x12, Marshall 1960, even a Blackstar 1x12 wasn't bad.)

But it looks like I'm not getting a Mesa, both of the ones for sale locally don't want to sell them? :scratch:.

Might have to run over to PA, there's an Egnater Tourmaster 2x12 for $300 and EVH 2x12 for $350 at GC over there.

Either that or take a shot in the dark and order a Panama 2x12 for $360 or Avatar for $370 with the special going on now.

I'm trying to be patient and wait it out but I want to play this damn thing!

Also there's a bunch of Mesa 4x12s for sale locally cheaper than the 2x12 but I really don't want to be lugging that thing around.

14. starbelly

starbelly SS.org Regular

They're for sale, but they're not for sale. Riiiight...

I agree that a 4x12 would be cumbersome. I wish I had more input regarding the other cabs! I only have experience with my Recto 2x12.