where would you love to live?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by M3CHK1LLA, Aug 30, 2017.

1. M3CHK1LLA

M3CHK1LLA angel sword guardian

like the title says...

money, jobs, etc aside. if you could live anywhere on this globe, where would it be? thought it would be cool to have a couple additional questions added. copy and paste the questions below...

1. do you like the city/town you live in now, why?

2. if you could live anywhere that you have lived in or visited, where would it be?
    add a map too.

3. if you could live anywhere that you never been to, where would it be and why?

4. why don't you live in your dream city?

5. the one place your glad you don't live lol

btw...we all may have more than one answer lol

:usa:

Last edited: Aug 30, 2017
    bostjan likes this.
  2. M3CHK1LLA

yes! nice country type area with an awesome lake and a few others close by. not to far from the big city so I can be part of the car scene and take in some concerts (dfw texas area). pretty much in the middle of the usa and go snowboarding/skiing a few hours north or hit the beach a few hours south.

2. if you could live anywhere that you have lived in or visited, where would it be?

bonaire, nice island in the caribbean near aruba...i love to dive and just be near the beach and clean clear warm ocean.
    https://www.bing.com/maps?&ty=18&q=...68.2568054199219&v=2&sV=1&style=r&trfc=&lvl=9

3. if you could live anywhere that you never been to, where would it be and why?

japan, not exactly sure where...but a place ii can really get in the car scene and drift them down mountainsides lol. oh and where there is clear clean water to dive in. any ideas? oh, and esp

prob couldn't afford to live there since its expensive and i'm not sure what a non-japanese speaking american could do there for a living to sustain my hobbies lol. main reason is no friends or family there.

anywhere in the middle-east. i would love to visit isreal though, especially jerusalem

3. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

very tough question to answer because whilst we all have fantasies from time to time about living in a new location, the reality of it would probably completely suck or at least not meet expectations.

For me I would love somewhere really scenic and remote probably in the USA, but that also offers brilliant wi-fi and not be a million miles away from at least a town with all the amenities you need.

Like a sweet cottage near woods and a private lake, with solar panels for energy and maybe even a water system to harvest and purify rain water. But then say 3 miles from somewhere built up to pop to for shopping etc. Would be my ideal situation. I love my privacy and peace and quiet. Plus love the idea of being eco friendly etc.

4. M3CHK1LLA

depending on how hot or cold you want to be...

colorado, northern new mexico would fit the bill. ive been there on many occasions to enjoy winter sports and relax and take in the awesome scenery. if you haven't been there, you should take a vacation to the colorado springs area some time.

arizona or some parts of cali if you like it warmer. there are places like that here in texas too, but the heat and humidity gets brutal in the summers. because of that, i honestly would not live in tx if me and my wifes family didn't live here.

5. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

Thanks for the heads up. When saving for a big international holiday I will consider this :) the missus has done Florida like 7 times so she probably would not mind a different USA suggestion haha

M3CHK1LLA likes this.
  6. marcwormjim

marcwormjim SS.org Regular

I've given this a lot of serious consideration - Ruminating through the seasons and skyline, in fact -, and I think I'd really prefer to live somewhere with greener grass. My life would essentially be repaired, at that point.

M3CHK1LLA likes this.
  7. M3CHK1LLA

here are some cool things my wife and i loved to do in colorado (one of her favorite places)...

1. dog sled tour....take a day out to ride in the mountains, stop and swim in a natural hot spring then eat steak and potatoes out on a campfire in the forest

2. snowmobile rides...just plain fun, gotta do it and see the sights

3. train ride...silverton/durango, relax and take in the beautiful sights

4. horse drawn sled...nice romantic evening ride out in the white snow and star lit skies

4. hot air balloon...very fun...need to try it at least one time...great views

5. glider ride...see the mountains up close and personal

6. ski and snowboard...till your hearts content

there, tell her that and maybe she will be excited to go.

ive been to florida twice...once to the orlando area for the obvious seaworld, treasure island and universal studios. missed going to disney world because of 911...the morning we were going there i woke up to see the first plane crash.

they shut down all the theme parks after the second plane crashed and knew it was terrorism. they didn't know at the time how many other planes may have been taken over. ironically enough the terrorist pilots were trained in florida. still never got to go to Disney world...

the second time i went to florida was several years later...went to the keys and really enjoyed it. almost considered moving there, but again, no family there and also hurricanes suck!

lewis likes this.
  8. M3CHK1LLA

dude...the first word i saw was skyline in your post and thought you wanted to move to japan so you could drift the mountainsides in an r32 or r34 lol

lewis likes this.
  9. marcwormjim

marcwormjim SS.org Regular

Of course that's what I meant.

M3CHK1LLA and lewis like this.
  10. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

I do. I don't want to live in the countryside, but not in a really big city either, so Salo is a pretty good compromise between the two. It's only a 1.5 hour bus ride away from Helsinki too. Very safe for the kids also.

add a map too.

I don't really see myself living anywhere other than Finland, but I guess I could work my ass of for a few years and then retire in Vietnam :lol: I visited a place there called Mui Ne a few years ago, and that place is like paradise.

I like to visit new places as much as possible, but I don't think I'd like to live anywhere else. Living in a really hot place would take away the thrill of going somewhere like that on vacation, so I prefer to freeze my ass of here :lol: so I can really enjoy the heat when I go on vacation.

I don't really have a dream city, so I don' know :lol:

There's a bunch of them. As much I've enjoyed visiting Australia, I sure as hell wouldn't want to live there. I also made it alive out of Gothenburg, Sweden, roughly ten years ago and I don't want to live there again. I always felt out of place there for some reason, so I'm really glad my mom decided to move back to Finland.

M3CHK1LLA likes this.
  11. cwhitey2

cwhitey2 BlackendCrust Metal™

not really...the area I live is nicknamed 'gloom county' and/or doom county...we annually get around 58 days of clear skies/sunny days. Crime is increasing at an alarming rate (people from NYC move here because it's cheap...and they bring their drama with them)

It's just overall boring, although I am in a prime location for traveling the east.

add a map too.

Denver, I went out there last August and it BLEW me away. I loved everything about the state of Colorado and Denver.

I also love Vermont and wouldn't mind living there.

Somewhere in Europe for sure...no specific place. If money was no object I would just travel and place golf everywhere :lol:

Sadly I have a state job and can't transfer plus I have too much time invested. The only reason I would leave is if I had substantially better income a different job.

The south...just about everywhere. Myrtle Beach SC is far as I would go, and that's pushing it.

M3CHK1LLA likes this.
  12. SD83

SD83 SS.org Regular

Yes. Just outside a medium sized town (300.000 people) in a small village (~10.000). We got a bit of forests, a bit of "hills" (hardly 100 meters in height difference :D ), some very, very small lakes and a bit of abandoned canal which are great for swimming in the summer, basically every band that comes to Europe stops by somewhere less than 150km from here. And a bunch of great people. The weather sucks though. Rarely more than a handful of days with snow in winter, and the snow rarely lasts for 24 hours, let alone more, and rarely more than 3-4 days of 25°C or more in summer. 170 days of rain on average. And it's not like it's raining heavily for an hour or so, it rains very lightly, but for 4 days in a row... And there are two many people. We got a handful of beautiful places, dark forests, small creeks and that, but you basically can't walk in a straight line anywhere for more than 10 minutes without coming across roads, fields or houses.

add a map too.

Carinthia, Austria. Preferably somewhere near Lake Milstatt. Stunningly beautiful landscape, huge lakes & warm summers, huge mountains and cold winters, some medium sized towns around... it probably sucks a bit when it comes to concerts, but it might take a while for me to bother :D

There are tons of places I'd like to visit for a few months or a season or maybe even a year or so, but actually live there... I always said in terms of climate and landscape, I'd go with northwest african coast in summer and Scandinavia in winter :D

This is home. I got my friends, family, job... that, and I'd need a lot more money than I actually have or might save in the near future to move there.

Anywhere where people get shot on a regular basis? Anywhere where it's basically cold and rainy all year around? But if It had to pick one: Tristan da Cunha. An island with 292 inhabitants, and the closest coastline is 1.700 miles/2,800 km away. There's no airport and about 10 ships stop by in a year. I'd love to go there on an extended holiday, but I wouldn't want to live there, not for all the money in the world or anything :D (although, with all the money in the world, I could probably have a Hyperloop line build to Cape Town, at that speed 2,800 km is not that much..)

M3CHK1LLA likes this.
  13. JSanta

JSanta SS.org Regular

I do like where I live now. I grew up here, left for a decade and came back. Not a lot of traffic, decent job opportunities, all four seasons, lots to do within a short commute.

add a map too.

I really like San Francisco, and my wife and I talked about moving to that area, it's just way too expensive.

I have a pipe dream of moving to Switzerland, probably Crans Montana, or Hallstatt, Austria. I'd like to be somewhere quiet and serene.

Not in a place in my life where I can get up and move overseas. Plus the constraints of immigrating to Switzerland for instance, are quite prohibitive.

I used to live in Washington, DC. Very glad not to be there anymore.

M3CHK1LLA likes this.
  14. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Yes. It is quiet here and the schools are good. Lately, it's been going downhill fast, but prior to ~2015, it was just an all around cool place to live. The upsides are low population density, no traffic, beautiful foliage in autumn, plenty of wonderful bike/hiking trails, the air is very fresh, everyone here knows each other, and the water is clean. The downsides are having to drive for nearly two hours to get to most amenities, there is a lot of town gossip, winters get very cold (lows can get to -40°), there's not much culture in general, and the food is kind of boring.

Some things have changed since I first came here in 2009: The music scene here, which was pretty amazing for a town of ~6000 with no bigger towns nearby, boomed around 2013-2014, and then fizzled out a year or two after - part of that was the fact that bars here got hit really hard by new legislation punishing alcohol use and really cracking down on drunk driving (the latter of which I am happy about). Crime here, however, has soared in the past couple years. Maybe the drunks are violent once they sober up or maybe it's just the times. I do think that with it being much more difficult to obtain alcohol, people have turned to illegal drugs, which brought a lot of out-of-state people here for nefarious purposes. Also, since Trump started campaigning, there has been some racial intolerance taking hold here as well, which is really sad, especially considering the entire town has like three families that are non-white.

add a map too.

I would like to be close to my family again. My mom is going through a rough time, and it's killing me being so far away. Truth be told, I'd rather everyone from my old hometown come to my new hometown, but that's absolutely impossible with the limited opportunities here. Detroit is a bit of a mess. When I first left there, it was to get away from all of the scummy stuff- crime, urban decay, horrible traffic, riots, gunfire and firecrackers constantly going off... I moved to St. Petersburg (Russia), Indianapolis, and then here. St. Petersburg was a wonderful place to visit, but I wouldn't recommend it as the best place to live. Indianapolis was really just a more sprawling Detroit with the traffic dialed down a couple notches and a more southern dialect. I think St. Johnsbury is the closest fit to my personal style.

I think I could live just about anywhere there is non-lethal food and water and air. :lol: I mean, Detroit in the 1980's was pretty toxic and dangerous and I survived that. I think pretty much everywhere people live has something attracting people there, except places like prison. I've visited almost a dozen countries and maybe 50 cities, and I didn't hate any of them. I even enjoyed my time in Moscow, despite the air smelling very strongly of...well, what I can only describe as Moscow, being shacked up in a $5 hotel with no private toilet, and being violently ill at the time (great combination there - no toilet and being violently ill, BTW).

I'd love to some day live some place exceptionally weird, though - Antarctica, Easter Island, Mars, Space Colony L5, who knows. I used to love travelling and visiting weird places - I always wanted to see Greenland or Longyearbyen, the Aleutian Islands, Tierra del Fuego, Stonehenge, Greece - never been to any of those places, and I would be scared to death of trying to live there for a year without the proper survival skills. I guess I would rather visit someplace before committing to living there for any extended period of time. :lol:

I was born in the USA, and I've never lived anywhere else without the knowledge that it was temporary. If my wife wanted to leave the USA, and there was nothing holding us back, I'd want to live someplace in Europe - actually, just about anyplace where I could speak the language well enough to be functional. My wife speaks a little Dutch, but nothing else. The kids took Spanish (of which I barely have a rudimentary grasp), but anywhere else would be up to me. There'd obviously be a lot of paperwork - but, most importantly, no one else in the family would be thrilled to leave.

Gosh, only one place? I guess North Korea sounds pretty rough. I think that's be at the absolute bottom of my list. Sure Northern Iraq would be bad, but I think I'd rather be blown up or beheaded than have three generations of my family imprisoned and used for slave labour and medical experiments. But I would hate to end up any place with giant bugs or anyplace too humid and hot.

M3CHK1LLA likes this.
  15. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

Generally speaking. I usually think of the place I live (and I'm counting Ottawa as part of this) as being unexciting. Recently though, I bought a friends old bike and have been cycling to work some days- when you normally drive everywhere and suddenly start walking and biking everywhere you start to see things you missed before, or things you knew were there but from different angles. In a car, I think the place is ok. On foot, Gatineau is boring, but Ottawa has lots to do as long as you don't stay out late 'cause everything shuts down way too early. On bike, during the day, seems like I'm pretty constantly finding stuff I never knew was here.

add a map too.

I dunno why, but I've always really liked Montreal. It strikes me as a place I would want to live if I had any real reason to move. Lots of music going on. Stuff stays open later. Things to do. People seem friendly. Lots of places I could work at. I don't think I've ever been sad in Montreal.

M3CHK1LLA likes this.
  16. ThisBrokenMachine

ThisBrokenMachine Architectural Metal

Yes, Milan (Italy) is a good place to live, it's the most european italian city with many attractives and activities.

add a map too.

NYC, perhaps

Still NYC or maybe London or Stocholm

I never really had the necessity to leave

Any place too hot :D

M3CHK1LLA likes this.
  17. narad

narad SS.org Regular

Nah. Cambridge is nice but too boring. London is a cramped, cold, expensive, and rude shithole.

Tokyo. I'm too into cyberpunk and robotics. Politeness matters too much to me. I appreciate social rules and people adhering to them. Seeing someone stand at a stoplight for 3 minutes at like 2am in a quiet town with no visible cars in any direction is a bit extreme, but I get it a lot more than cities whose populations behave like out of control sims characters jutting out in any random direction with no regard for anyone else.

Vancouver -- looks like a better Seattle with a Canadian government? Sign me up. Just wish it wasn't expensive and had a good Google office. Berlin sounds cool too.

Just got my Tokyo job offer yesterday :) Still worried about making friends, but expats in Tokyo seem to be the right kind of sample of people for me.

London, but I should get further away than 50 mins!

M3CHK1LLA likes this.
  18. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire 8 string hoarder

Not really. The area I live has become really overbuilt with townhomes and the population density has skyrocketed over the last 10 years. I liked this area better when it was basically countryside.
    add a map too.
    I'd probably go to Salt Lake City,UT or Denver, CO since I'd be super close to the mountains and can go ski hike whenever I want.
    Hokkaido Japan- Easy access to some of the best tree skiing/powder in the world, downside is the winters are brutal.
    Bangkok Thailand- super cheap, lots of good food, plus I can watch/do muay thai for super cheap.
    Australia- I want to hang around and eat food/lounge on the beach/ be able to travel to new zealand easily. Definitely doesn't hurt that I've heard aussie women like americans.

Transferring nursing licenses to another country is a bitch. Also there's a lot of the US I haven't explored yet.

Manila, or the Phillipines in general. They make the favelas in brazil seem nice.

M3CHK1LLA likes this.
  19. Anquished

Anquished hhnice!

It's okay, fairly quiet. I wish that my town had a train station and a decent leisure centre though as opposed to every fast food chain in existence.

add a map too.

Torn between two places.

Reykjavik, Iceland. I visited Reykjavik for a holiday and I really enjoyed the city. The views were great, food was great and everyone I encountered was really friendly.

Oslo, Norway. Worked out there for a few days and got lucky enough to spend one of the days at the Winterpark skiing. City was awesome at night and felt very much alive. The tube was super convenient and easy to use. Also everyone was friendly and the food was good.

Only downside to both was everything seemed expensive in comparison with the UK. Does anyone know if wages are scaled with the cost of living out there?

Not sure to be honest. Canada maybe? Sweden or Finland?

Settled with a career and partner.

Really hot countries.

M3CHK1LLA likes this.
  20. High Plains Drifter

High Plains Drifter SS.org Regular

Not particularly. I can handle the rednecks ( grew up a poor country boy) but the Super-Saiyan level white-trash around here makes me more stupid every time that I'm forced to watch or listen to 'em. Heat, humidity, blah, blah... the typical reasons that people have issues with living south of the seasons.

add a map too.

I honestly can't believe I'm saying this but maybe... where I was born and raised in Ohio. The whole thing would be quite bittersweet though, so I'm definitely not inclined to say that I would actually WANT to live there... maybe just that I could possibly tolerate it and it would at least have some perks like White Castle.

New Mexico interests me. Was there in Albuquerque some years ago... found it very appealing in many ways. Screw my sister... I'm going with NM!

Used to have a penchant for Mt. Shasta in NorCal and Banff in Alb Can. Why? Beauty, solitude, etc... the typical things that make places like these so appealing to visit.

Because I'm weak and unambitious in that regard.

Next to my fiancee's mother.

M3CHK1LLA likes this.