Where were you at 16?

Discussion in 'Music Theory, Lessons & Techniques' started by groovemasta, Jul 30, 2011.

1. Varcolac

Varcolac Frets? What frets?

Hmm.

I was taking lessons, and being rather bad at everything. I'd started learning 3-chord punk shit, then some Van Halen and G'n'R songs, thought I was the baddest-assed mo'fo' in the universe when I got the final solo from November Rain down.

Didn't know shit about theory, but I knew all my chords. I think at 16 I'd just bought a bass, but I wouldn't start lessons until I was 17. Those bass lessons would be what'd lock my rhythmic and harmonic chops in place, so I guess at 16 I was pretty piss-poor.

2. jymellis

jymellis Talk To DeWalt

where was i at 16? on WAAAYYYY to much LSD. i have since changed my ways ;)

3. MatthewK

MatthewK SS.org Regular

I quite honestly learned pretty much everything that I know in terms of technique and theory at 16. I've been a lazy asshole ever since. I went from not even knowing what a scale was and thinking playing solos or any kind of lead on guitar was just something impossible that I would never understand to a semi-decent wannabe Yngwie Malmsteen in that time.

4. asher

asher So Did We

Started playing at 18. Self taught easy Metallica stuff mostly, off tabs. The next two semesters I took lessons which have gotten me into straight alt-picking basically everything, and knowing how to practice things properly though that's something I don't do. I have the barest of theory knowledge from this, and three years later mostly just try to learn things by tab that I feel like. Doesn't help me much when I want to try writing stuff though. I've noticed slow improvement just from general playing, though most is still pretty sloppy; if I actually practiced, I think it could sharpen up reasonably quickly for rhythm playing. Lead is an entirely different matter.

5. CrownofWorms

CrownofWorms SS.org Regular

I'm 16 right now lol. Right now I'm focusing more on dissonance and atonality, atmosphere ala Gorguts and Immolation when it comes to some parts of rhythm mixing in with black metal and defeated sanity type riffs(thats not all of it though). I'm getting a band going and practicing vocals and lead guitar since I'm fronting. I'm trying to focus on more tasteful shredding like shawn lane and Fredrick Thordendal while still improving on technique and stamina. Its kinda hard to describe since I've only been this age at what...3 months. So it feels like there isn't much difference then my 15 year old self

6. rvoteary

rvoteary Cocaine Enthusiast

at 16 I was spending way WAYYY too much time trying to learn all of unearths "in the eyes of fire" albeit extremely poorly XD I like to think I've progressed at least a little bit

7. Konfyouzd

Konfyouzd Dread-I Master Contributor

16? Nirvana covers... "I need an easy friend..."

Well Nirvana and Korn.

8. XEN

XEN BEYOND 6UITAR & B4SS Contributor

At 16 all I wanted to do was tap like Eddie Van Halen, but we're talking 1985 so I was not alone. Now 26 years later I sound like I've been playing for about 6 months.

I write left-handed and play right-handed guitar as well. I can definitely sympathize with your issues. Training my right hand had been a major issue.

9. Blood Ghost

Blood Ghost SS.org Regular

At 16, I had just discovered Devin Townsend and this prompted me to switch from bass to guitar for good. I was watching Dimebag guitar lessons on youtube, the only remotely impressive thing I knew how to play was the outro fill of We Will Rise by Arch Enemy, and I established in myself that drop C is my tuning and I will always be the most comfortable in it, no matter how many breakdowncore bands give it a bad name or how many haters say that it requires no talent. It's my standard to this day. :D

10. EcoliUVA

EcoliUVA Not Gifted

You're never too old to learn. I started really learning how to practice effectively at 25 (1.5 years ago) and made more leaps and bounds than ever in my life. I'm not exactly Rusty Cooley or Jeff Loomis, but in 1.5 years I went from about 300 notes per minute max continuous scale/sequence running to about 700. Not sure what my burst max is, something higher :lol:. Tapping and sweeping are higher.

For comparison, the run towards the end of the first bit of Technical Difficulties (the descending E minor sequence) is ~750 npm, and I have no issues playing that.

If I can do it at 25, you can certainly do it at 16. It takes dedication, self-motivation, and knowing what and how to practice. I can point you in the same direction I took if you'd like to send me a PM...but never, ever think you're too old! Point your brainpower towards figuring out the best way to get where you want to be.

Edit: Ugh, that first bit sounds braggy. Not the intent here...just trying to say that AGE DOESN'T MATTER! How and what you practice matters.

11. SirMyghin

SirMyghin The Dirt Guy Contributor

Age does matter though, you are too old to be cool while doing it, you old, old man. :lol: (I am 25 :ugh:)

12. JPMike

JPMike Totally Random Contributor

At 16, 7-8 hours a day practising alternate picking, scales, patterns and runs mostly. Was a Petrucci fanboy to the bone back then, also practising the exercises from the Rock Discipline DvD. Good times, tbh I am happy I did that back then, cause I don't have to go through it again.

Plus I had Theodore Ziras as my teacher, he is a speed freak, so kinda learned a lot of patterns from him back then but he has no musicianship or sense of melody.

13. groovemasta

groovemasta SS.org Regular

Can you recommend exercises to focus on right hand technique?

14. Saber_777

Saber_777 ///M

I started playing when I was 8 acousticly. I didnt even remember what had given me the idea of getting a guitar but I knew I had wanted one. So Christmas roles around and I get an acoustic. A couple years later I decided I wanted an electric but my mom decides I have to learn how to play acoustic before I start electric. Sooo, I started out learning some songs from my neighbor. Old rock shit(swear one of those were smoke on the water and stairway to heaven) , but of course I thought Iwas a badass. But she wasnt satisfied. So she met a friend who played better than most people around here and he taugh me how to play harder things. I grew up learning Bluegrass a huge majority of my childhood. I had no concept of theory or anything. But it wasnt until my neighbor passed away that I had gotten my first guitar. They sent a crew to clean up the house and I knew the head guy and he offered to pay me for some help. I was about 12 when that was and I found some old Teiscos and I thought they were badass. So I asked and recieved. Eventually I end up getting better shit. But by 16 I was playing some of the Faceless, whitechapel, burning the masses. Stuff like that. I just turned 17 in june. Thats my story.

I'll go ahead and post this to/at myself.

[​IMG]

15. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

At 16, I was basically playing nothing but the Big 4 (namely EVERYTHING by Metallica and whatver Megadeth album had Marty Friedman in it sans Cryptic Writings onwards) note perfect rhythm on a small classical guitar. :lol:

That was also the year that I discovered Joe Satriani's The Extremist album and got my first electric guitar. Both events changed my life.

16. Church2224

Church2224 Guitar Whore

When I was 16 I was a lonely kid who just sat in his basement with a really nice RG550 and RG1527 plugged into a Line 6 and though that by tremolo picking fast and just randomly moving my fingers around the fretboard would actually be true alternate picking. And I would slam my guitars around all over the place and got pissed when the paint would chip off when I hit it. I was pissed at Ibanez for the paint coming off when I was being a dumbass! LOL

I have since sold the RG1527 unfortunately, my playing is much better and I still got that line 6.

17. JP Universe

JP Universe Giggity Contributor

When I was 16 I had been playing for a year, I detuned my strat copy to B flat tuning and tried to play Meshuggah type stuff with the gain way too high! And randomly tapped everywhere on the fretboard to sound like Fredrik. Along with that I was jamming with my mate to Korn, Deftones and Marilyn Manson.

18. drgamble

drgamble SS.org Regular

I was playing gigs with my first band Infant Slug. I didn't have a whole lot of shredder lead parts, but it was Death Metal. If I remember correctly, I was playing stuff by Megadeth, Slayer, Metallica, Testament and was moving into the Obituary, Death, Napalm Death stuff. I started playing at 9 though and come from a family of guitar players. http://www.myspace.com/infantslug We recorded this when I was 17. At the time I was also getting heavily into Steve Passion and Warfare and a bunch of Joe Satriani stuff.

19. Captain Shoggoth

Captain Shoggoth SIGN YO REP

My current biggest influences on my music are BTBAM, Devin Townsend, Mastodon, Cynic, Jeff Loomis and Opeth.
    I can sweep sixteenth triplets comfortably at 140bpm, and 160bpm if I try incredibly hard.
    My alternate picking goes up to maybe 220-230bpm, 240 at a stretch (that's a pretty generous stretch though :lol:)

I'm 15, haters gonna hate.

Oh, I remember those days :ugh: :lol:

20. CRaul87

CRaul87 SS.org Regular

TOTALLY TOTALLY AGREE!