Where were you at 16?

Discussion in 'Music Theory, Lessons & Techniques' started by groovemasta, Jul 30, 2011.

1. groovemasta

groovemasta SS.org Regular

I dont know where this would belong but:

I've recently been interested in developing some shred technique, before this I've been more of a riffer.

I am a left handed player who plays a right hand guitar and for not really being interested in playing fast until now, I think my legato is not bad but my picking hand accuracy is terrible and its discouraging.So I ask you, where were you technically at age 16? after one year of practice how much did you improve? I feel like alot of shredders start at a relatively young age.

2. danieluber1337

danieluber1337 ☻☺☻☼☺☻☺

I think this was when I was 15... maybe one and a half years ago.

http://soundcloud.com/insideblackmesa/mariah-is-awesome

I don't shred. I go for chords, progressions, grooves and layers. I would like to get into more lead playing - scales, modes et cetera. I would also REALLY like to get into the workings of chords to get specific sounds out.

Your best friend is a metronome - now matter how cliché it sounds. I need to start using mine more as well.

3. Stealthdjentstic

Stealthdjentstic Banned

I am just as sucky as I was at 16 as I am now :lol:

4. groovemasta

Quick replies! I don't usually go for shred either and i still dont want to i just want to be proficient enough to express whatever i want with out a barrier (realistically of course) and yes I understand metronomes are key i was just wondering how long it would take on average to develop a picking hand for shred type stuff.

Also not bad song :) Stealth do you have any recordings I'd like to hear how sucky you are :lol:

5. Fiction

Fiction For Mod

At 16 I was;

[​IMG]

Now, at 18.. I am.. Refer to above picture.

6. troyguitar

troyguitar SS.org Regular

I started playing when I was 18.

7. groovemasta

I started playing metallica and all the basic stuff when i was 11 and I still regret not starting earlier, I did lose interest for a few years and am just getting back into it though.

8. Oceans

Oceans Banned

I was sweeping and learning how to be more technical with my music

9. SirMyghin

SirMyghin The Dirt Guy Contributor

Rocking out to Rush in my bedroom with my bass and having fun with music. Don't ever forget the fun.

10. ittoa666

ittoa666 /)'3'(\

I was just figuring out how to not suck.

11. The Reverend

The Reverend GHETTO KING OF SWAG

I only learned the very minimum basics in passing at band practices. I mostly just palm muted breakdowns so that we could have fun switching instruments at the end of practice.

I didn't take it seriously until I got my own guitar on my 22nd birthday. I'm a decent riff-destroyer, and I'm starting to become fast and clean enough to start doing lead work @ about 10 months of serious practice. I think it really boils down to how hard you practice, and also how smartly you practice. I'm also really good at picking things up, so results may vary, I guess.

12. Waelstrum

Waelstrum All Fourths Advocate

I had decided at around 16 that I wanted to shred, but was sloppy as hell. I decided that alternate picking was dumb (for some reason) and was terrible at economy. In hindsight, I wish I had started out with alternate, as it is much cleaner (for me at least). Also, I hadn't figured out that in order to play fast, you have to be able to get it damn near flawless every time slowly first. I'm not much better now, but at least I'm practising properly.

13. natspotats

natspotats SS.org Regular

thats when i got my first lessons and my playing skyrocketed after i learned proper picking techniques and left hand fretting techniques

14. Stealthdjentstic

Stealthdjentstic Banned

I have a youtube channel but it only goes back about 10 months :\

15. groovemasta

haha its alright link me, i'll check it out anyway. :)

16. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear

I started playing at 13. I played very regularly until about 16 or so - but I only ever played along with tabs at full speed sloppily and with bad technique. I could kinda sound ok in the mix but (as I recently realised) I was just doing everything wrong and did not sound good.
    I then went just over 2 years spending almost all my time on World of Warcraft, just with the occasional playalong here and there. I played in a band, too, which also did no good for my technique because I would just play to the tabs to learn it. My ability to sight read most things very easily did not help because I never used to actually practice stuff.
    Coming up for 2 years ago now I began to completely relearn, playing with a metronome, paying attention to technique etc.
    I often get incredibly down when I see videos of guys like Jakub Zytecki at 15 years old and wondering where I could've been if I put more time and effort into music.
    As it is, I feel like I've only started to play guitar at 18, and am still making slow progress because I can't play like some of the guys you see who have only been playing 2-3 years.
    It all serves as motivation though, and I'm progressing slowly but surely to where I want to be :)

17. toiletstand

toiletstand /\'...'/\

at 16 i was learning as many weezer and korn songs as possible.

18. thedarkoceans

thedarkoceans Banned

i'm not even 14....but i practice tapping.

19. samu

samu SS.org Regular

Just starting to learn sweeping properly. I had some pretty intense sessions with Steve Vai's 12h workout thing, which I sometimes practiced for 6h. 12h just wasn't too reasonable.

20. Daggorath

Daggorath -.-

I think I was better technically when I was 16/17 than I am now. Having way more real world commitments does that to your technique. Then again, I consider myself a better, more rounded player despite this.