Where to chrome or nickel plate?

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by Synesthesia, Oct 29, 2018.

1. Synesthesia

Synesthesia SS.org Regular

I have a few small parts that I made and would like to have chrome or nickel plated but I cant seem to find a company that will deal with a small order. It seems that most of the ones I have found are more "industrial" platers and don't really want to deal with me. I remember going to NAMM years back and seeing a company that will plate whatever guitar components you need but I cant remember the name anymore. Do any of you know a good place to get a part chrome or nickel plated?
    Additionally, I know that you can get small kits to chrome plate a single part and I have used them in the past. But I was wanting a more professional quality finish with a thicker deposit than the hobby-ist level plating kits.

2. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

Check out local custom motorcycle shops. If they don't do it in-house, they might have a source you can talk to in person, and they can actually see the piece, and might be able to include it in a "batch", if you're willing to wait.

Soya likes this.
  3. pondman

pondman Build Whore. Contributor

You could be looking in the wrong place. Try a metal polishers, they can get it done for you if they cant do it themselves usually.

4. Synesthesia

Synesthesia SS.org Regular

Thanks for your suggestions. I will try that.

5. Ðupui§

Ðupui§ Member

Maybe you could look for a qualified jeweller ? I had my complete hardware gold-plated by a jeweller for a reasonable price and the result was perfect!

Chrome and nickel plating are similar process

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018