Where Do You Stand On Gun Control/Second Amendment?

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by BenjaminW, Feb 19, 2018.

Where Do You Fall On Gun Control

1. For

51 vote(s)
    71.8%
  2. Against

20 vote(s)
    28.2%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lurè

lurè Thy Art Is Mambo

2. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

I think it's safe to say that anyone who goes around shooting migrants for losing a political race is probably unhinged and mentally deranged. If migrants are causing a problem in someone's country, then do something about it, but I don't think drive-by shootings are a logical means of doing so.

3. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Again, are all of those who shoot people mentally ill?

Hollowway likes this.
  4. Explorer

Explorer He seldomly knows...

Formerly from Cucaramacatacatirimilcote...
    Some people do argue that such weapons should *not* be regulated, and that restrictions should be re-examined, usually with the foundational belief that the Second Amendment, in their particular interpretation, put no restrictions. In fact, those people were the ones I was targeting when I joined that rally, in order to force them to argue their own point to absurdity.
    Out of curiosity, since high capacity weapons ended so many American lives this year, does this mean your embrace of the values of the Founding Fathers also means you embrace restrictions on such weapons?

Or, does the Second Amendment trump the Founding Fathers' value of life?

If the latter, why does a modern weapon, unanticipated by the Founding Fathers, trump that stated value of theirs?

5. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

What about when your pursuit of happiness is having guns and mine is not getting shot? Then we throw a third guy into the mix whose pursuit of happiness is shooting people?

Which is more important out of life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness? And is two happy people better than 1 dead person, or should we restrict your liberties to preserve my life, liberty and pursuit of happiness?

AngstRiddenDreams likes this.
  6. AngstRiddenDreams

AngstRiddenDreams Filthy Casual

If not, is this your basis for an outright ban of guns? Just trying to understand what you're getting at :)

7. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

when the second amendment was written guns were a very different proposition.

I'm not so sure your founding fathers wanted people running around schools with military grade weapons capable of mass killing in seconds .

mental health is a factor in everything in society and no matter what you do its not going anywhere .I'm all for any country stepping up mental health care ,but to believe that it will have any substantial effect on gun violence is lunacy itself

Dcm81 and Vyn like this.
  8. Vyn

Vyn Not a Sparkly Vampire Contributor

Cannot smash the like button enough on this. We used to have a pro-gun culture here in the 50s and 60s - Post WWII, everyone was encouraged to own guns. We then had one of the worst mass shootings in history and turned the whole thing around on a dime, initiated a buy-back program, implemented tougher gun control measures and also educated people about responsible gun ownership.

However I can understand why similar measures may not work in the States - the psyche seems to not like having the government tell the people what to do. "Freedom" is a word that's thrown around a lot, this attitude of "I should be able to do whatever the fuck I want." Law makers could come up with an amazing, multi-point plan that addressed supply, education, mental health and access to guns but the people won't listen because if someone tells them something they don't like, well they just shoot them :/

Dcm81, zappatton2 and MikeNeal like this.
  9. Spaced Out Ace

That or they have terrible conflict resolution skills, possibly due to repeated blows to the head such as Chris Benoit.

cwhitey2 likes this.
  10. Spaced Out Ace

You may have watched way too much Yosemite Sam as a child.

wannabguitarist likes this.
  11. Vyn

I've never watched Yosemite Sam. I have watched this in full however:

12. Spaced Out Ace

Trey and the other one should stick to South Park. Their outside endeavors are not that funny or interesting.

13. Vyn

It's not funny at all, completely agreed. However it's how the rest of the world views America - FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEDOM and guns first, questions/logical thinking second (especially since you now have The Twitter President).

If gun ownership wasn't so embedded in US culture (which has a lot to do with the NRA), dealing with issues like this wouldn't be anywhere near as much as a problem.

If the NRA put as much money, time and effort into lobbying for gun databases, registering of weapons, gun licences and education programs, encouraging responsible gun ownership this whole thing would be cleaned up in less than a year. Call me cynical though but there's too many people in the NRA who are comfortable with the stupid amount of money they earn through gun sales generated after a massacre has happened that I doubt they are going to do or say anything other than "S'all good, nothing to see here."

zappatton2 likes this.
  14. Sephiroth952

Sephiroth952 Ibby Fanboy

I mean I'm just privy to this conversation, however this statement is just blatantly incorrect. Team America World Police is hysterical.

15. Sephiroth952

Sephiroth952 Ibby Fanboy

As someone who does believe in the right to own guns, but on the other hands absolutely despises the NRA I can't quite agree with your year estimate. There are 323 million Americans as of right now. While I think that all those things you said the NRA should be doing is correct, I don't believe with that many people that this sort of thing wouldn't happen again. Especially not with the number of black market guns there are on the market.

16. Spaced Out Ace

I find Hillary and her lame attempt at appealing to the youth with "Pokémon Go... to the polls" to be funnier than Team America.

17. BenjaminW

BenjaminW SS.org Regular

Well, here's where my seemingly hypocritical view on this comes into play. I generally believe that a person's right to keep and bear arms for the purpose of self defense is an individual right. Do I think it should be an unlimited right? No. This is where what I said me being a hypocrite comes in. I can support some gun control such as the more damage a gun can do, the higher the background check that comes in for it or having to register for a gun license.

18. Sephiroth952

Sephiroth952 Ibby Fanboy

Well that frankly is quite lame. But when is old people trying to be trendy ever not?

[​IMG]

MFB likes this.
  19. Spaced Out Ace

It's not the NRA's responsibility that some jack off went and shot up a school. I've heard the asshole was reported to various groups that should be interested in the situation and did fuck all to put a stop to it if what I heard is in fact true.

Frankly, I'd like to see the guy beat and tortured to death on live television a la George Carlin's suggestion on one of his comedy specials. I think it'd make for great television and would have excellent ratings. It would also set an example for the next imbecile who does something, whom I'd also like to see waterboarded until they either adapt and grow gills, or drown. Maybe I'm old fashioned, but I don't really have much sympathy for lunatics of this caliber. There are some scenarios where I feel it is somewhat justified, but this is not one of them.

20. Spaced Out Ace

I can support that. Though the Feds are morons and don't do shit to stop anything as it is, so what good would it do. And it'd probably cost Joe Taxpayer more as well.

Vyn and BenjaminW like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.