Where do you guys sell your gear?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Stilicho, Jul 9, 2018.

1. Stilicho

Stilicho SS.org Regular

Hopefully this is the right place to post this, but I was wondering where you guys sell your gear?

I'm currently trying to sell my Tubemeister 18 and Orange PPC112 on an Irish site called adverts but I haven't gotten any offers after over a month. (although I might just be impatient!)

My next thought was to try eBay but I'm not sure if that's the best option. Are there a few sites that people generally recommend around here, both in the US and EU?

Thanks in advance!

2. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

I've mostly been selling on Reverb lately. I've found the fees are worth it to avoid flaky/sketchy local people on Craigslist/Facebook, and it makes my audience much larger so I can normally sell stuff faster.

3. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

Reverb. Don’t care what the fees are it’s super simple and the customer service was very helpful.

Stilicho likes this.
  4. rokket2005

rokket2005 SS.org Regular

Do you have some local facebook musicians swap type groups? Even just putting it up on the standard facebook classifieds might get hits and save you shipping.

Stilicho likes this.
  5. rexbinary

rexbinary MOD King

I've used ebay, and Guitar Center, but I'm Reverb only now. Reverb makes it easy, and I haven't dealt with any odd people yet at all on there personally.

Stilicho likes this.
  6. The906

The906 Hella rad Contributor

Do you do all your own packing? Curious because it seems like it would be a chore or pricey to have someone else pack an amp or guitar.

Stilicho likes this.
  7. rexbinary

rexbinary MOD King

Kinda. I sold three guitars on there. Reverb sells a three pack of guitar boxes for $35 bucks shipped. They also offer discounted UPS labels. I took each box, printed label, and each guitar to a UPS store. They charged me $10 bucks to pack each one. But you pass the shipping cost to the buyer anyway, unless you're a store or something.
    https://reverb.com/item/92938-3-pack-boxes-reverb-guitar-and-keyboard-box-fits-most-sizes

The pedals I have sold I just packed myself either using old Amazon boxes, or a Reverb box. Again using a discounted UPS label from Reverb.
    https://reverb.com/item/934246-reverb-5-pack-small-item-pedal-shipping-box
    https://reverb.com/item/2080596-reverb-10-pack-small-item-pedal-shipping-box

They have a lot of swag and nice cheap cables too.
    https://reverb.com/shop/merch
    https://reverb.com/item/3377581-reverb-2-pack-10-foot-1-4-guitar-cables-black

Stilicho and The906 like this.
  8. protest

protest SS.org Regular

Reverb. I think the fees are more hefty now than in the past, but it's worth it for the peace of mind.

Stilicho likes this.
  9. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

I don't. After one of only two transactions dealing with a sketchy as fuck buyer, I will only sell to friends in the future.

Stilicho likes this.
  10. SpaceDock

SpaceDock Shred till your dead

Reverb!

Stilicho likes this.
  11. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

Kijiji, canadian guitar forum, facebook and spamming my friends. Two consignment sales in the mix too.

Stilicho likes this.
  12. LiveOVErdrive

LiveOVErdrive CNC hack

Typically I sell at a big loss to my local guitar store because I'm impatient. I've sold on Craigslist before too.

I should try Reverb...

Stilicho, rexbinary and Spinedriver like this.
  13. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

I try gumtree,is that only in OZ ? , and forums first cause three's no fee's

If that's no good I always have success on ebay . you need to price reasonably though. all the heads know how much gear is worth these days

Anquished and Stilicho like this.
  14. Spinedriver

Spinedriver SS.org Regular

Same here. Granted, probably 99% of people who sell on Reverb, eBay, etc... do so with no hassles but rather than go through shipping, money transfer, etc... I usually just trade it in towards something else. That and the money they offer, generally isn't that much less than what people would be offering anyway (unless it's something particularly rare and/or expensive, neither of which applies to the gear I own). lol..

Stilicho likes this.
  15. FILTHnFEAR

FILTHnFEAR Infidel

Not that I'm selling gear on any kind of regular basis, but I've just taken things to GC or another local store. I know I'm taking a nice hit, but I honestly don't wanna dick with selling online to someone.

On the flip side, even though I see some things pop up on Reverb and even here on SSO that I want, I'd rather not risk the hassle of being sold some bullshit that a seller lied about and having to go thru the hassle. I like the piece of mind that if I buy something used that's actually not in advertised condition I can return it to GC no questions asked.

I play music and Stilicho like this.
  16. Anquished

Anquished hhnice!

We have Gumtree in UK too! I mainly use that, I've sold a few guitars on there. I have also sold on Ebay before too, but prefer Gumtree.

17. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire self-appointed sso pickup tester

mostly fb music exchange group or marketplace, or reverb. Occasionally craigslist. You're looking at a 6.5% total fee on reverb, or a 3% fee if you sell using paypal. there's no fee if they use paypal gift or fb pay (but also no real protection against shitbags). reverb is prob the easiest option for small stuff. I've shipped a pile of guitars too, but their discounted labels aren't really any cheaper than inputting the data and buying a prepaid label on your own.

Stilicho and lewis like this.
  18. protest

protest SS.org Regular

I don't know. I shipped a Sig X from Philly to Seattle for $55 using UPS through Reverb. I shipped a Soldano Avenger to North Carolina using a FedEx prepaid on my own and it was $55. Granted it's not the same company but I feel like I saved a decent amount using Reverb.

19. I play music

I play music SS.org Regular

Germany has ebay-kleinanzeigen.de
    I've only sold to and bought from people living close enough to meet in person. Should probably change that though since some stuff I want to sell just doesn't want to find a buyer :lol:

Stilicho likes this.
  20. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire self-appointed sso pickup tester

i shipped a boden os8 to florida and it was 45$. same thing with the vm8 i shipped to ny on my own. reverb doesn't really save me any money with their "discounted" labels.