Where are my chronic insomniacs?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Webmaestro, Jul 4, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Webmaestro

Webmaestro Ibanez Fanatic Contributor

I'm just curious how many of you out there have, like me, suffer from chronic, long-term insomnia? For the past 15 years, I've had to learn to get by on only 5 hours (give or take) of unrefreshing sleep each night. I'm not talking about the occasional restless night that we all have. I'm talking about every... single... night.

Everyone's welcome to talk about what you've tried, who you've seen, etc. You're also welcome to suggest remedies. However, that's not what I'm personally looking for with this thread. Trust me, over the past 15 years I've seen some of the best sleep doctors and therapists in the country. To date, there's no explanation or cure for what I've got. Whatever you suggest, I can 99% guarantee I've tried it in earnest.

I'm more curious to know how many of you out there are like me, and manage to function every day on just a few hours of sleep.

2. High Plains Drifter

High Plains Drifter SS.org Regular

I'm in that club and always have been, at least as far back as I can remember. I think that Leon the professional was about the only person to get a less relaxing sleep than me... sigh. Melatonin ( 10-20mg) has possibly helped at times but I honestly don't actually know how effective it's been because of other variables like anxiety, stress, exhaustion, etc.... making it hard to tell if the supplement actually works for me.

Anyway... Like you, I manage my days on an average of only 4-5 hrs of sleep per night. If I have an exceptionally long/ exhausting day then I may sleep longer that night but it still comes in short bursts... 2-3 hrs, then awake for a couple hours, then another couple hours of sleep, then wide awake. My mind seems forever "on" which is obviously a hindrance but I think that at this point in my life that it's just the way that it is. There were times throughout my life that I certainly had longer sleep cycles and more consistently but those times proved to be the exception to the rule.

I could go on about all this but no need. I really hope that you're able to exist happily and function properly on limited amounts of slumber. I've heard many people say that lack of sleep is bad for your health in other regards so hopefully you're managing things and feeling well.

3. watson503

watson503 Los Cochinos

August of 2007 is when my severe sleep issues began - I really don't know how I made it through the following 2 years without committing suicide or simply passing-away due to them. I had been working nights for years and was used to that schedule, but suddenly started waking-up before an hour had passed - no matter what, for those 2 years, I'd go to bed, sleep for about 50 minutes, wake-up, and repeat this until my alarm went off. No matter what I tried or took, before an hour would pass, I'd be awake. Melatonin, xanax, ambien, diphenhydramine, etc - I'd just wake-up high or groggy as hell from the drugs and it got to the point I gave-up with that route.

It was maddening, I'd have given anything to sleep and would pass houses with the lights off on my way to work and think what I'd give just for a regular night's sleep. I began sleepwalking at times - got some really funny stories from that - woke-up in my pitch-black closet unaware of where I was once, visiting my mom's once, I slept-walked into the kitchen, woke-up digging through the refrigerator and noticed a familiar smell - the scent of this organic air freshener she kept in the guest bathroom...it was some mandarin orange scent and soon as I realized what it was, my armpits began burning like hell fire...seems I had slept-walked into the bathroom and sprayed that crap like a deodorant under my arms...the pain drove my heart-rate through the roof and I thought I was going to stoke-out lmfao After grabbing the can, it said to run cold water over the affected area in case of exposure - if that did not work, apply petroleum jelly...so here I am in the shower, water did nothing so I opened the curtain and the medicine cabinet and luckily there was a jar of Vaseline of which I slathered on my armpits and in a few minutes, the damn pain finally subsided. Shit like that....not good times.

It got to the point where I was becoming narcoleptic, I was competing in powerlifting and somehow did about 5 meets during this time - I was working 4 10s so the three days I was off, I'd spend in bed trying to rest as much as possible but still couldn't sleep more than an hour. I finally got hold of a cpap - I didn't have insurance and couldn't afford a sleep study - after about two weeks of using the cpap and a product called Somatomax, I got used to sleeping wearing the mask and actually slept four hours straight one night and started having dreams again. I eventually quit the night shift and over the next six months or so finally started sleeping somewhat normally. To this day I still wake-up through the night but nothing like before - 8 hours is something that is rare for me to get but I seem to do fine on 7 hours these days. People who have never had sleep issues have no idea how lucky they are, it will make your life a living hell.

4. Webmaestro

This one really kills me...

As if the daily effects of insomnia aren't bad enough, we insomniacs have to hear about study after study that reveal how chronic sleep deprivation is dangerous and can lead to catastrophic health issues... as bad as early-onset Alzheimer's, dementia, and god knows what else. Not a week goes by that I don't see some new findings on the internet, TV, or radio about how my insomnia is going to send me to an insanity-ridden early grave. That alone is enough to make my insomnia worse.

People who have never had REAL, chronic insomnia think we're just lazy or are tired because we're irresponsible and party every night. It's a severely misunderstood illness--even in the medical community.

This was a real issue for me when I was younger and going to college (which is when my insomnia began). There I was... young and in the prime of my life... but so tired all the time that I couldn't go out with my friends. Or, if I did, I felt miserable and would just yawn constantly... which led to questions about whether I was bored or sick.

Worst of all... there's nothing like being out on a first-date with a new girl and dozing off or accidentally yawning during dinner. Oh yeah, those things have happened to me more times than I care to think about.

The only way I made it through college was by abusing... well... let's just say "stuff that gave me energy." Luckily, I quit doing those things years ago.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2017
    watson503 likes this.
  5. High Plains Drifter

High Plains Drifter SS.org Regular

Sorry, man. I was just wishing you well... not trying to promote any anxiety. Hope you find solace one way or another.

6. EverDream

EverDream SS.org Regular

I don't have insomnia, but I'll share what knowledge I have to offer...

If you're not breathing good while you are asleep your body will wake up constantly and you'll never get a consistent or good sleep, so look into that if you already haven't. You all probably already know this though.

If that's not the problem, then some things that could help are Meditation, Bin-aural beats (a type of brainwave entrainment), ASMR (Autonomous Sensory Meridian Response), Yoga, Doctor Prescribed Cannabis in pill form (I will never recommend a person damage their lungs with smoke inhalation, lung health is just too important for the mind and body IMO), and Self-Hypnosis. You all may already know of these things but I thought I'd mention them just in case any of you weren't familiar with any of these things or didn't give them a try yet.

I hope you all eventually become able to sleep normally again someday. Don't give up hope, if there isn't a solution today, there might be one eventually, people are learning stuff everyday in the medical field, and eventually a solution will be discovered, nobody knows when for sure, but at some point if people keep learning everyday, then one will eventually be discovered. I don't believe everything there is to be known about in the universe is known by humans yet, I don't believe we are even close to knowing everything yet, so to me there will always be hope for everything, even if it's very small. My words may not help any of you, but I'm saying what I honestly feel and believe, in hope that they might. Just know that I really do care, it hurts me inside emotionally to know people are suffering. I wish for all of you who suffer from insomnia to one day have your insomnia cured so that you can get proper sleep. :hug:

High Plains Drifter likes this.
  7. TheKindred

TheKindred TimeTravel Innovator

We're all waiting till about 3am to respond when we've exhausted all the other things we're killing time with whilst not sleeping.

8. MikeH

MikeH Bring the gain

I've never been diagnosed, but it is very apparent that I am not a normal sleeper. It started around sophomore year of high school when I would slowly just start getting less and less sleep every night. I'm not sure if I've adapted and can fully function on 4-6 hours of sleep a night, or if it's just become the status quo, and I would do myself a great service if I could actually get 8 hours every night. On occasion, I'll get a good night's sleep of 8-10 hours. That's a rarity, though, and usually if I sleep more than 8, I'll be sluggish and out of it that entire day until late evening. It has grown progressively worse, as I joined the military, became a father, and now I'm currently deployed with rotating shift schedules. My circadian rhythm is always thrown off, and will affect me in a lot of ways. I'm on mid shift right now, and I can't sleep until I'm absolutely exhausted, even when my bunk is completely blacked out (cardboard on the windows, a blanket that hangs from the top bunk to cover the side of my bunk, and we all work the same shift, so the room stays black for sleep hours). For instance, I had to show up at 9pm for work. I fell asleep at 8am, and woke up at 1pm, wide awake. I forced myself to toss and turn for about two hours before finally giving up and grabbing my phone to watch some shows and browse social media. I laid in bed until 6pm, trying to force myself to be tired enough for even a nap. Had to get up and start my day early, and then I crashed around 1am. Now it's 9am and I'm awake again. It's not a great feeling.

9. MikeH

MikeH Bring the gain

I've considered Somatomax or Lunamax, but the one time I tried a supplement with phenibut in it, I felt like shit the entire next day. I slept for 7 hours or so when I took it, but the effects of the drug made me feel like I was watching a movie of my day through my own eyes. Very dissociative and apathetic. I've used supplements with smaller doses since then and haven't felt that sensation since, but they aren't super effective.

10. watson503

watson503 Los Cochinos

Yeah, that's a huge drawback to that stuff - it would take me several hours to shake the feeling off - benzos...even worse - I used to love those things years ago but you couldn't pay me to take them now, the depression and everything else that follows is just awful.

11. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

Ya, I'm in this club. I vary between very little sleep, and then totally crashing. I have to make up on the weekends with sleeping super late, or taking naps. I've been taking benedryl at night to help. It only helps a little - I think I'm more awake from 10-1am than any other time of the day - but it's something.

russmuller likes this.
  12. Webmaestro

Oh no, don't misunderstand... I wasn't getting anxious. I was just commiserating :D

High Plains Drifter likes this.
  13. Ebony

Ebony Mr Sunshine

I've always been the kind of person that sleeps really good, but cannot for the life of me fall asleep.

After Junior High I gave up trying to fall asleep on command.
    So many evenings wasted going to bed at 10:30, only to lie awake in bed for hours sweating, over-thinking and being bored.
    Now if I don't get tired until 5 in the morning and has to get up at 7, then I'm going to bed at 5 and getting up at 7.

This is how the system of this sleep cycle works for me:

Night number 1: 0,5-3 hours sleep- totally destroyed the entire day, compromised short-term memory, effectively drunk
    Night number 2: 10-12 hours sleep- machinery is back and operating at 100%
    Night number 3-5: 5-6, 5 hours sleep- the usual crappy, diabetes-inducing, stress-elevating and slowly deteriorating sleep most people call "normal"
    Night number 6-7: 8-10 hours sleep- how it should be, sleeping in, not caring about when I fall asleep or when I get up, building up to the horror that is night number 1

This is the closest thing to a "system" my body functions on, the "fall asleep and get up at the same time every night" system is something my body laughs at with disgust.

14. Grindspine

Grindspine likes pointy things

I have always had delayed sleep.. I sleep better in the mornings than I do at night.. It is unfortunate when I have a morning and evening job concurrently. I generally get 4-5 hours a night and still function. I am at my best when I can sleep in through the morning though.

15. IGC

IGC OCDG

Been on and off for me over the years, usually from work stress wich snowballs into bills and life etc. Just can't shut down, especially lately, been kind of noids about work. Chamomile tea or sleepy time extra kind of helps. Or good old unisom if things are Unbearable! My wife tried Ambient for a while but it messed her thinking up. But some people can take it.