When is shipping costs on gear too much?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by M3CHK1LLA, May 25, 2017.

1. M3CHK1LLA

M3CHK1LLA angel sword guardian

was looking to get a guitar ive been wanting for a long time.

the guitar already cost more than i wanted to pay, but when i saw the shipping, i about :barf:

most of the guitars ive bought online shipped for $40-$75 depending on the size of the guitar case...the latter being a xpiphos and flying V cases which are huge...this is within the usa.

the most ive paid was like $110 my esp flying A and $120 for the esp angel sword...and these came fully insured from japan shipped to texas.

this guitar i'm currently looking at is an ibanez rg w/hsc and the shop is asking $398.84! am i the only one that thinks that's too high?

what have you guys been paying for something of similar size?

ive never bought a cab or head online, but what is shipping on something like that?

edit: what is the most you've paid for shipping gear?

discuss

Last edited: May 25, 2017
    Edika likes this.
  2. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

That's just stupid expensive.

Have you talked to the shop?

3. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

$400 just for shipping? Keep looking.

FILTHnFEAR and M3CHK1LLA like this.
  4. Dredg

Dredg Insignificant Contributor

Smells like a scam. Most I'll pay for shipping is $150 for international, $75-80 domestic, and the axe better arrive perfect.

M3CHK1LLA likes this.
  5. steinmetzify

steinmetzify CHUG & SLUDGE

Paid $180 to ship a 4x12 a couple years ago, that was the highest I've ever paid.

As to when shipping is too much? Now. Has been for the past couple years. Drastically curtailed my buying.

M3CHK1LLA likes this.
  6. Chiba666

Chiba666 SS.org Regular

Shipping costs are mental these days, especially from Mainland Europe to Cyprus. Means I buy less or bring it back on a flight with me when I visit the UK

M3CHK1LLA likes this.
  7. cwhitey2

cwhitey2 BlackendCrust Metal™

Holy crap that is way too much money.

Ask them why it costs so much :lol:

M3CHK1LLA likes this.
  8. asfeir

asfeir SS.org Regular

Crazy expensive.. I recently had a combo amp shipped from the USA to Dubai for less than 200 usd with fedex

M3CHK1LLA likes this.
  9. tedtan

tedtan SS.org Regular

I bought a Mesa 4x12 recently and the seller was quoted $240 for shipping when he took it to UPS and Fed Ex. He ended up buying the shipping label through Reverb for $60.

$400 for shipping a guitar is a case of someone trying to overcharge you for the guitar, thinking they're being sneaky about it, and failing to realize that they're not.

M3CHK1LLA and AxeHappy like this.
  10. M3CHK1LLA

M3CHK1LLA angel sword guardian

ok, so i'm looking at 2 guitars (don't want to mention them incase i decided to pull the trigger on one lol) they are both the same rare, limited run model. ones in better condition.

the going rate a few years ago was $900-1200, but they have gone up since the artist died.

guitar 1 - is in used "played" condition. looks a little rough in some places and the pups may not be orig, because they should have a design etched on the pup covers and they have obvious wear on them. the orig hard shell case has a lot of damage...that is a big deal to me because it is made for the guitar and had a badge/label signifying the guitar/artist itself.

its asking price is $1383.38 + $111.44 shipping from canada total - $1494.82

guitar 2 - is said to be in "mint" condition and so is the case. pups have the engraving and it looks great. it comes complete with hang tags, vibrato arm, manual and case-keys.

its asking price is $1,790.94 + $398.63 shipping from norway. total - $2189.24

anyways, guitar 2 is the one i mentioned in the op, but at the time did not notice it was outside the usa. is there something that would make it cost so much more to ship? i was gonna call on it yesterday, but when i went back to look at the details the guitar price jumped to $1800+ and shipping went to $401 and some change.

then i went to post about it and checked, and the price dropped back down to orig asking prices....lol i don't know whats going on. price difference is $694.42 and $287.19 is shipping between the two. now i gotta ask myself if the condition is worth the $407 difference in the price of the guitar...if i can get the shipping to a reasonable rate.

again is there something that would make the shipping from norway so high?

11. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

Shipping cost of any amount is too much when they place fucks around for a week before eventually getting it sent. Just because you had the shipping label created online doesn't mean you've shipped it. So sick of people pulling that bullshit lately.

Oh, and by the way, I'm entirely of the belief that people who do this don't actually have it in stock and are hoping to buy something cheaper and flip it from the get go. I ordered a pedal from some seller on Reverb, and I'm giving them til Monday to ship it out or I'm going to file for a refund.

This. Or move on and forget about the guitar.

12. MaxOfMetal

I have noticed that some of the Scandinavian countries have unusually high shipping to the US, but that's usually a per-carrier thing. Perhaps ask if they have a cheaper option.

That said, speaking from experience, skimping on international shipping is not often wise.

cwhitey2 likes this.
  13. Edika

Edika SS.org Regular

The problem I've seen in EU and the UK is whenever you quote any courrier other than the post office as an individual and not a business, the orices are ridiculously high. Example, I was looking for UPS to ship a guitar and the best quote through their site was ~£70 from a UK address to a UK address and 5 days shipping time.

Going through shipping sites I could find significantly cheaper prices. On the other hand I've seen sellers from the US selling stuff with shipping costs to the UK at the same price of the item sometimes. Most of the times it's about $100-110 for a guitar in a case but I've seen prices up to $700 if it's a "rare" and "custom" model.

14. MaxOfMetal

The online calculators really aren't made with guitars in mind, so from what I've seen, they're rarely accurate.

That's why it's always best to bring the item all packed up to the shipper and have them give you an in-person quote. Every time I've done it that way they've given me a significantly lower price, often for the same service tier.

I think they purposefully inflate the online calculator price to reduce issues in-store, and/or pray upon those in a major hurry who need to print out a label at home ASAP.

15. Edika

Edika SS.org Regular

The main issue with this depends on the part of the world you live in. In my current city the only courrier that actually has offices locally is Parcelforce which is the service from Royal Mail. The closest UPS office for example is an hour drive away which putting in the fuel costs it's just not worth it. Not to mention Fedex or any other courier.

In the city I used to live in Montpellier in France the UPS office wasn't accesible with public transport and I didn't drive back then. Packing services for these couriers, which is the best way to send an instrument and be sure you'll get compensation if something goes wrong, costs quite a bit. Quite a bit more than £10-15 for example. I don't know what the cost is in the US, but around here it's not worth it unless you're a business.

One thing I did notice though is that rarely couriers give you a different price in EU and the UK from what you get online. The only difference is you have an actual person you can work out something with, rather than an inflexible online calculator.

16. Spaced Out Ace

I agree. It's more of a, "You could likely pay AS MUCH AS" sort of "what if" scenario where shipping companies are concerned.

17. MaxOfMetal

The calculators aim high to account for any "under valuing" a customer might do, intentional or otherwise. It's easier to overcharge and accept the package than go back and forth rejecting and reshipping if the parcel is bigger or heavier than the customer plugged into the online tool to print out a label.

Not to mention, like any other point of sale system there are usually little tricks and workarounds that a person who uses the system on a daily basis knows that can help save a few dollars here and there. Kind of like the "secret menu" at In-N-Out. :lol:

18. Spaced Out Ace

:lol:

19. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Totally depends on whence it ships. I notice you have not mentioned a city, country, or even region. A lot of opinions here, but the key fact is missing. My knee-jerk reaction is "holy shit, that's too much for shipping," but maybe it's shipping from Siberia, from Atlantis, from Antarctica, or from the Moon. $400 to ship from the Moon would be dirt cheap. :lol:

20. elkoki

elkoki SS.org Regular

I think he said he's from Texas.

But $400 is BS. I've been quoted around $90 for a 60lb amp. A guitar should be maybe $50