When a guitar is setup for a certain tuning how far can it stray from the tuning?

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by Sklubby, Dec 6, 2018.

1. Sklubby

Sklubby SS.org Regular

Hello all

This is my first post. I wasn't sure what I should title this thread.

Anyway.....

I recently bought a Ibanez RG7260 off of Reverb. It is currently setup for Drop G# tuning.
    If I tune this guitar up to Drop A tuning how detrimental would that be to the bridge/guitar?

2. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

On a guitar with a floating trem, like your RG7620, you're going to have to set it up for the specific tuning you're going to use.

kamello likes this.
  3. op1e

op1e Blood_Lust:Unlimited

If you pick strings that are a little lighter than you normally like, you can go up a half step. Same thing for the other direction. Whole step for your bottom string. But going back and forth with all strings more than a half step might be problematic. I used to be in a goth metal band in drop A and melodeth-ish band in A standard.

4. Sklubby

Sklubby SS.org Regular

The seller said the guitar has 10s so your saying if I put 9s on then I shouldn’t have any problems?

BrailleDecibel likes this.
  5. BrailleDecibel

BrailleDecibel 55.0r6 R36ul@r

If slightly more bendy strings are your bag, than 0.09's will definitely do the 'ol trick-ola. 10's can easily do drop-A on a 7, though, so long as the bridge is properly set up and all that fun stuff, I have even gone up to 0.11's when looking for "my" gauge, though that is only recommended if you know what you're doing, at least IMO. :lol: Good luck with the new fiddle, bless us with some pr0n!!

6. op1e

op1e Blood_Lust:Unlimited

I never go by "9's 10's 11's" cause the bottom string varies so much. 10 thru what? .046, .049, .052? 10-52 does about everything well. E standard all the way down to drop C on 25.5 scale. I run those and a .068 or .070 on my 7's for A standard, drop G.

Demiurge and TheUnknownOne like this.
  7. Sklubby

Sklubby SS.org Regular

That sorta thing is my bag......baby.......

The bridge doesn't appear leveled. The seller suggested I try to increase the height of the bridge by turning the two large black screws on which the bridge floats, using an Allen key. He suggested I turn them to the left, wouldn't the left make it looser, therefore sink more?

Hollowway likes this.
  8. Sklubby

Sklubby SS.org Regular

Thats a good point. I guess I can ask him what set and gauges were used.

9. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

Leveled in a high string to low string direction, or leveled in a nut to bridge direction? If it’s the latter, he has no idea what he’s tLking about. Thats adjusted with the trem springs in the back route.

10. feraledge

feraledge Heard the Good News about Maple Fretboards?

Don't try to short cut. If you overthink it, you're not doing yourself any favors. Proper floating bridge set up is not nearly as complicated as people make it sound.

op1e and TheUnknownOne like this.
  11. goobaba

goobaba SS.org Regular

At the very least you will most likely have to adjust the trem springs. Its not hard though