What's Your Experience Like With Warmoth?

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by BenjaminW, Oct 7, 2018.

1. BenjaminW

BenjaminW SS.org Regular

I've been thinking of making myself a Partscaster with Warmoth parts for a while and have been wondering if it's worth all the trial and hopefully not error of assembling the guitar. My one worry about it is that the bodies/necks can run pretty expensive and I'm a little skeptical about spending a fortune on the parts. So what's your experience like?

2. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire despair ahead

they make good solid bodies and necks, i've bought a bunch of stuff from them over the years.

3. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Good parts, but only worth it if A) you want something that you absolutely can't get from an existing guitar and B) you have the tools and experience to put it all together and make it work, or are at least willing to invest the time, money and energy into those.

Keep in mind, if you just want a cool Strat or Tele, G&L can build you an absolute monster one, with tons of available options, for around $2k.

Spec everything out, and don't forget the little things like all the random screws and stuff. Add it together, don't forget shipping, and see what you're looking at. The sweet spot is usually around $1500. Any more and it's probably not worth it unless it's super unique and you just have to have it.

I've put together a couple dozen guitars with Warmoth parts over the years. Like I said, the quality is solid, but they will need some expertise in fretwork and fitting to get made as good as can be.

BenjaminW likes this.
  4. LiveOVErdrive

LiveOVErdrive CNC hack

If you keep your eyes on the in stock bodies and necks and find something you like you can save a bunch.

budda likes this.
  5. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

Very good. They held up their end of the deal beautifully. I, on the other hand, still have a couple of bodies and necks hanging around since 2005 (no joke). Make sure, as Max said, you are prepared to spend the time and effort to see it to completion. Otherwise you're MUCH better buying a ready made guitar.

6. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

Like Max said, unless you are looking into someting unique not found else, go with a used body.

Stratosphere usually have used bodies, or check ebay or even pawn shops. Maybe its easier/cheap for you to find a second hand Squier body, chuck away everting except the body (if you find the right color)

I had a surf green squier sitting on my room to use as platform, but due to upcoming GAS purchases and the nature of the small place where I temporally live, it was gonna be too many guitars, so I had to sell it..... using the funds for an acoustic so its not that bad :p

7. BenjaminW

BenjaminW SS.org Regular

I've never really considered that as an option now that I think about it. I'll keep it in mind.

8. Snarpaasi

Snarpaasi SS.org Regular

How are the warmoth neck pockets? Have your necks joints been tight af or needed some shimming? I'm also considering Warmoth / BestGuitarParts tele build. Unfortunately partscaster is the only way for my current dream build:

Tele body shape
    Roasted alder body with forearm and tummy cut
    HH pickups
    TOM bridge
    Roasted maple neck
    25" scale
    12" radius
    Angled headstock
    Satin finish

Yummy!

9. MaxOfMetal

As far as Warmoth neck pockets go, they lean towards the tighter side, which is a good thing as its better to work in a tight neck joint than have something with huge gaps.

When it comes to shimming, it really depends on how you want your action across the board. I always tend to add a small shim to give the neck some negative angle relative to the body. I've tried cutting the pocket to add the angle, and it's just not worth the effort in the long run.

10. USMarine75

USMarine75 Doc McStuffins (*Block version, not sig) Contributor

FWIW Their in-stock prices are much better than their custom built prices. And they usually have some decent screamin' deals or whatever they call them. You can price a killer strat or tele neck+body for about $700, or you can just as easily drop $2k.

11. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

I built a Jazz bass out of a Fender body and Warmoth neck and a Thinline Tele from all Warmoth parts :yesway: I love both of them.

I got the Jazz neck from the in stock section and just added my preferred frets and nut on the website, which was a lot cheaper and faster than building one from scratch. The Tele parts were more expensive, but the end result was exactly what I wanted. Definitely worth the time and a bit of headache :D

12. BenjaminW

BenjaminW SS.org Regular

I agree.

13. vilk

vilk Very Regular

Despite being quality MIA guitar parts, Warmoth resale is sometimes spooky cheap

$550 on Chicago CL right now
    [​IMG]

And that's got SS frets, gotoh locking tuners, fender noiseless pups

I've heard that the reason that Warmoths have such poor resale value is because you can't know if someone built it right. But even still, if you got one that wasn't built perfect you should be able to get everything straightened out for a reasonable price from a luthier.

I used to have a Warmoth-ish telepartscaster (Warmoth neck on a no-name body), I really liked it a lot except for the neck profile (I'm pretty sure it was one of those big roundbacks or boatbacks or fatbacks). I got it with sperzel tuners and BKP pups for a trade for a 300$ guitar.

Unless you want like borderline custom kind of guitar, I'd say just find someone selling a used warmoth partscaster on the cheap. At the very least you'll find someone who has stuck a warmoth neck and aftermarket pups into a Squire and probably for not much money at all.

Randy and USMarine75 like this.
  14. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

donno about the other website you mention, but Warmoth only does 25.5" or Gibson scale lenghts.... also baritone 28.(something)"

15. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire despair ahead

price wise, the best deals and wood choices from warmoth are going to be on strat/tele bodies/necks. There's always a ton of them in-stock. Definitely check reverb/ebay first though, they tend to have a glut of warmoth strat/teles as well.
    28.625" is the baritone scale

16. MaxOfMetal

You'd be surprised how easily and often folks screw up Warmoth builds. :lol:

All it takes is someone trying, and failing, to do fretwork or place the bridge studs or fit a tight neck pocket. Not mention the folks who "saved money" by not finishing the neck and let it go to shit.

I've been brought a bunch of "Warmoth attempts" over the years and while some just need a little fine tuning, a not insignificant amount have been practically ruined.

That's not to say they're all bad, and you can grab some awesome deals, just be careful when buying not in person. Not all fuck ups are obvious in photos.

USMarine75 likes this.
  17. Snarpaasi

Snarpaasi SS.org Regular

True. Warmoth doesn't have 25" scale and neither angled headstock. That's the reason I'd go for BestGuitarParts. Then again, Warmoth has recessed TOM which I've found to be the most comfortable.

There's been some rumours that key persons from USA Custom Guitars hopped to BGP boat. Roughly a year ago tried to spec out USACG neck and suddenly website builder was locked up and people started reporting of build delays. Don't know how they're doing atm.

What's the risk with bridge studs? I've swapped mine and it wasn't too bad with a hammer and a towel. Also, how would you recommend fitting a tight neck pocket? Somebody on YouTube showed fitting it vertically, not horizontally.

18. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

actuallt they do make them, "tilt back stratocaster" neck. But only as a strat plus their own 3+3 shape an couple of other different shapes

including reversed headstock for us SSO folks ;)

19. Snarpaasi

Snarpaasi SS.org Regular

Oh, there is an angled strat available, but is it only with modern construction? People have said it to be more dull and lifeless compared to vintage or vintage/modern. Surely one should be skeptical what is said on forums.

20. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

I think thats just cork sniffing at its finnest ever. Way more than how fretboard material changes the tone by over x9000

I get it, neck constructions (as the whole guitar), has some kind of effect on the overall tone of the guitar. But to say a neck is more dull due to having a two way truss rod vs single???? really?, or is it the walnut stripe on the back of the neck that gives you the magical tone?

dude, you are overthinking it too much. If you want a strat headstock on a tilt back neck, there you go, get it on the fanciest wood you want (either for "tone" or "looks") and be happy.

jsut remmeber to take pics, we love those over here as you know :)