What's your diagnosis?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle, Health, Fitness & Food' started by kazzie, May 13, 2015.

1. kazzie

kazzie unicorn smile

Let's get medical, medical! I wanna get medical! :shred:

So, do you have a diagnosis? I have (mostly cured) Agoraphobia, some GAD, Panic Disorder (managed).

I'm doing good, though.
    For the MBTI, I'm a ENFJ - T.

Yous guys?

2. Kobalt

Kobalt Insert Brand Name

Nope, I'd rather not know what's wrong with me.

It always seems to me as people have no conditions or diseases until they are told they do. :erk:

3. MikeH

MikeH Bring the gain

I don't go to the doctor, but I'm sure they'll find a bunch of .... wrong with me when I get my medical check in basic. :shrug:

4. Church2224

Church2224 Guitar Whore

Borderline Personality Disorder - Diagnosed July 8, 2013
    Obsessive Compulsive Disorder - Diagnosed June 2011

Has not be fun...

5. asher

asher So Did We

Eh.

I've had a good friend (who had serious firsthand experience) tell me a few times through college I should look into getting a potential diagnosis for mental health.

Finally went... close to a year ago. Well, I tried for a few weeks talking to a therapist the 13-14 winter, mostly dealing with some bad anxiety flareups/panic attacks, then stopped, then started again in the spring, which brought an actual diagnosis of...

Major depressive episode. Whocoodanoo? Definitely not the first, either. I don't think I necessarily have any kind of diagnosed anxiety issues, they're just symptoms of various things.

I've also had asthma since I was a young kid (3 or younger), significant pollen, animal dander, dust, and mold allergies (much better since I started taking stuff for the environmentals in high school, and something I started for frequent sinus headaches has made animals much better), pretty low grade tinnitus, and acid reflux.

Oh, and I have a hole in my chest (well, not quite), but that's just cosmetic.

6. Cnev

Cnev SS.org Regular

I'm not sure what the official diagnosis was, but I saw a psychiatrist when i was young who put me on some pills. I hated the way they made me feel so I stopped taking them. I saw a CBT a few years ago on my own volition who diagnosed me with major depressive disorder, panic disorder and depersonalization disorder. I actually feel kind of bad because i ended up laughing in her face and making what felt like a mockery of her practice. The whole arbitrary "friend for hire" relationship just feels cheesy and bogus to the point where I can't take myself seriously in those situations. Oh well. I can't say any of those diagnoses are legitimate. i dont know who I'd be or what I'd do without all my "abnormalities".

I also have hyperhidrosis which is really ....ing annoying, especially as a guy who plays guitar.

7. asher

asher So Did We

They're both legitimate diagnoses (likely, at least, assuming a competent professional) AND part of who you are. I don't see why these are mutually exclusive?

I dunno dude. I work with a CBT, and while we get along pretty well, it's not "friend for hire" and it's never been "friend for hire" - I have real friends for that. It's about talking to someone who's professionally trained and researched about human psychology, conditioning, and behavior, and is also a relatively impartial third party, to help you sort things out, identify problems, provide coping mechanisms and longer term plans to address issues.

8. TRENCHLORD

TRENCHLORD Banned

Male pattern baldness here.

But since I clip it anyways it's a good thing because my clippers last that much longer.
    Think positive folks.

edit; Your new pic is very cute kazzie, be glad you're not going bald:lol:.

9. vansinn

vansinn ShredNeck into Beck

I love my paranoia: never a boring moment, always another angle, nothing that can't be done - you know, a True Paranoid always has at least one way out..

10. s2k9k

s2k9k SS.org Regular

Severe depression and anxiety disorder. Diagnosed at 19. Was pure hell for a couple years with lots of ups and extreme downs, but by now been able to manage it extremely well. In the end, seems like it's definitely made me a stronger person. :yesway:

11. Necris

Necris Bonitis.

Bonitis.

12. SD83

SD83 SS.org Regular

Asthma, bipolar disorder. Nothing severe though, I know where to go for help if I need it, but usually managable once I knew about and accepted it, so I think it could be far worse. I might be 'normal'. I know some of those. Horrible thought :D

13. Khaerruhl

Khaerruhl SS.org Regular

Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD YAY), testicular cancer (had surgery and chemo 2 years ago, been on controls for 2 years, have 3 years left of controls, no signs of cancer (f*cking YAY)).

cancer is a major poopybum.

14. vilk

vilk Very Regular

I can't imagine what a shrink might tell me if I explained to him the different things I think and feel.

15. cwhitey2

cwhitey2 BlackendCrust Metal™

I'm just an asshole.

16. MikeH

MikeH Bring the gain

Mark me down for that, also.

17. AugmentedFourth

AugmentedFourth X:1 K:C [c^f]|

I'd like to take this thread as an opportunity to point something out.

It worries me when I see people belittle mental diagnosis by saying things like KingVee's comment, or when you hear people joke about things like "oh wow I have to keep all of my eating utensils exactly lined up or it drives me crazy I'm so OCD hehehe."

Not because it's incorrect to say that some illnesses are misdiagnosed or are a result of people being told that they have those diagnoses. Obviously that kind of thing really happens, in both mental and physical medicine. Not because it's not O.K. to joke about mental illness or something like that. It's because I'm afraid that people take these things too seriously or overgeneralize these sentiments.

It's not difficult to imagine that when one person cracks the OCD joke around the table, everyone laughs a little, and then one of those people goes home later that day and washes their hands for hours until they bleed because they actually have OCD. We sometimes forget that the names we toss around like bipolar, OCD, and PTSD have real life-affecting effects for the people who have them.

Same thing with overdiagnosis. People maybe hear the off-handed statistic that something like 1 in 3 people has or will have a mental illness in their life... sounds crazy, right? Imagine someone saying that back in 1904! We must just be getting softer. It must just be that most people have no conditions or diseases until they are told they do.

Or maybe because people don't go around displaying their problems in everyday life. No one wants their personal image to be defined by, say, major depression disorder. People who have mental illnesses aren't all like Brad Pitt in 12 Monkeys. Plus, we just understand more than we did 50 years ago or whatever. When you have someone who takes 40 minutes just to leave their room because they have to, have to, have to do their exiting ritual exactly right, you don't send then to an insane asylum. This isn't 1891. We have ways to treat people like that, to help them out in a similar way to the way that immunomodulator medicine can help people with ulcerative colitis. That's why we diagnose.

I'm not targeting anyone specific in this thread or anything, it's just that KingVee's comment reminded me of some people who really have those sort of convictions. False positives are a thing, but without them medicine can't exist, right?

18. Kobalt

Kobalt Insert Brand Name

I think you took my comment a bit too literal, but okay.

I just got out of a relationship with a suicidal BPD woman, and I've attempted to take my own life away myself, in 2012. I don't belittle .....

But I guess it was out of place, I'll give you that - did not intend on offending anyone.

EDIT: My point was, if I don't go to a doctor, then I have (nothing).

19. Alberto7

Alberto7 ΩGJ :3

Was diagnosed with chronic allergic rhinitis when I was little, and I am slightly asthmatic. I mostly develop asthma when I am undergoing a severe episode of allergies. I have some moderate/serious allergies to dogs and cats (sucks big time, as I love both to death). I was diagnosed with IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome) last year, by process of elimination (which means I'm not celiac, nor is it Chron's disease [thank God], or anything else).

I haven't been diagnosed, but I have developed some pretty crippling anxiety due to circumstances in my personal life. Looking back over the last 8 years or so, some mild chronic depression may be at play, but I am just speculating. I have been to counselling, but never an actual professional psychologist/psychiatrist.

The most interesting diagnosis I've ever had was a BAV (Bicuspid Aortic Valve) when my family doctor at the time detected a murmur in my heart when I was about 5. I have been checked about 10 times ever since, with the first 5 or so times having come out positive/ambiguous, and the last 5 negative/ambiguous, with the last two being, according to the doctors, conclusively negative (and that's how it looked in the echocardiogram). No doctors have heard the murmur for at least the last half-dozen times. I am due for another echo soon, and I will get yet another opinion. It has never affected my life in any noticeable way (I have an excellent history of physicals), and most doctors have told me that I shouldn't plan things around that condition that I may or may not have. The only thing I do, just as a safety precaution, is take antibiotics before any dental procedures are performed.

You mean as in pectus excavatum? I have never been diagnosed, nor has any doctor ever mentioned it to me, but I do think I may have a very, very mild case of it, since there is a small hole there, and my ribs flare out ever so slightly.

20. Chiba666

Chiba666 SS.org Regular

Should have gone to see s Shrink after a period in an induced coma and the week or so afterwards where my head was over the place. It wasnt a good place to be, especially with all those strong meds they had me on only made my head a worse place to be.

Still think that 3 years later I might benefit a talk with a stranger who has to listen.