What's wrong with my mix?

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by J0NNYBRAV0, Mar 24, 2013.

1. J0NNYBRAV0

J0NNYBRAV0 SS.org Regular

I just want some honest criticism. My aim is to get better at mixing and it's hard to know what I'm doing wrong if I don't ask! Just give this a listen and see what stands out to you (ie: bass too low, crash too high, guitar sounds dull, etc...). Anything to point me in the right direction. Thanks :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vpn6AtojPrI

2. Larcher

Larcher fpoon Contributor

in this case, I'd say too much gain, you can hear there's alot of fuzz from the guitars.

I usually sit around 3 or 4 gain with my rythm guitars so it's got more crunch to it. other than that, I'd say your kick doesn't have enough 'oomph' to it, but that's a thing alot of people struggle with. Other than those 2 things, I think the snare could be better sounding for this type of mix

nice playing fellow canuck ;)

3. FourFour

FourFour 4/4

Cool song, man. Nice playing too!

I think the snare is buried, guitars too fizzy, kick is kinda lame sounding, lead tone could be more upfront, cymbals too soft and bass guitar sounds a bit loose and resonate-y. Clean tone is cool, but too soft.

4. J0NNYBRAV0

awesome! thank you. i'm pretty weak when it comes to anything drums, so i know the sound needs a lot of work. and i noticed my guitars were fuzzy but i never knew how to fix it! back to the studio! (aka my mom's basement...)

5. Prime

Prime Crazy Robot Guy

Well I would say that number one....you posted it on youtube. Youtube fucks the sound up IMO. Also too much going on in the low frequencies which will suck everything out of your mix. JMO.

Read my disclaimer.

6. J0NNYBRAV0

Here's a non-youtube version, but it most likely doesn't improve anything: https://soundcloud.com/jonny-barvo/revengicide

It's hard for me to judge how much low end to put in every instrument. I guess it's just a matter of experimenting. thanks!