What's that thing called? (back of your headstock)

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by vilk, Dec 4, 2017.

1. vilk

vilk Very Regular

On my Edwards SG, the neck goes flush into the headstock

On my LTD Viper, there is a little lip. Like right around where I put my thumb when I'm playing some first fret stuff.

What's that little lip called?

I think that I don't prefer it. I'd rather not have it, but I guess it doesn't bother me very badly either.
    Here's my question: is it something built purposely as something that guitarists want to have? Like some people want to feel that little lip there when they play? Or is it a biproduct of creating a sturdier neck or something like that?

2. Anquished

Anquished hhnice!

You mean a volute?

upload_2017-12-4_14-24-44.jpeg

I thought they were for strength. Someone with more knowledge can weigh in and clarify I'm sure.

bostjan and vilk like this.
  3. vilk

vilk Very Regular

^Yes, that is indeed the thing. Or should I say, the volute!

Anquished likes this.
  4. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Technically, it's a volute, but I've heard it called other less-technical names, too, for example "hand stop."

It's kind of a left-over from the era when a bunch of stuff was borrowed from violin-family instrument designs. Interestingly, though, on a violin/viola/'cello/double bass, the "volute" is the technical term for the "Scroll" at the other end of the headstock or "pegbox", even though violin heads also have a hand stop, which I don't know exactly what they call.

Anquished and vilk like this.
  5. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

The volute is there just to reinforce the neck where it is weakest, right under the nut where the truss rod cavity is.

Anquished and vilk like this.
  6. LiveOVErdrive

LiveOVErdrive SS.org Regular

Yeah, they're supposed to make angled headstocks a lot stronger - particularly non-scarf-jointed necks, where the grain direction makes that joint weaker. The norlin les pauls from the 70s had them for that very reason. Otherwise LPS are notorious for snapping off headstocks.