Whats so good about really thin necks?

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by eightsixboy, Jan 13, 2015.

Tags:
  1. eightsixboy

eightsixboy あなたのお母さんを犯さ

Hi all,

I went an looked at a RG652fx a few days ago, and coming from someone who has had a lot of Ibanez stuff over the years, I found the neck basically unplayable, it was laughably thin, it felt like a novelty guitar or something.

My old RG520GP that I grew up with should have similar specs ie 17mm 1st and 19 mm 12th but it feels heaps bigger in the hand and much more playable, where as the neck on the 652 was, well, really bad IMO.

So it has me thinking why do people love really thin necks so much? I have seen a lot of guys love there 652's, for me anyways it made me a lot slower as a player.

At the moment I am playing my Iron label which I love the neck on, nice and flat radius and still pretty thin, similar specs to the wizard II necks.

Am I crazy or am I in the majority on this one?

2. The Q

The Q The Engineer

I have big hands and I seem to like thicker necks as well. It feels like I have more control if that makes sense.

3. Renkenstein

Renkenstein SS.org Regular

I love thicker necks, but hate the profile of a Wizard II. They were thicker, but they have a shoulder that is uncomfortable to my hand. When it comes to Ibanez, I prefer the original, but I love a fat well rounded neck even more.

*edit....not that I consider a Wizard 2 a thick neck by thick neck standards...

4. Purelojik

Purelojik SS.org Regular

i build my necks so when you play everythings relaxed. i found myself liking how a thin neck feels initially but then hating how my hands cramped up later.

with slightly thicker necks its the opposite, the initial feel isnt what you expect, but you get used to it within minutes and can play for hours.

5. Le Jeff

Le Jeff SS.org Regular

A Wizard 2 (I've owned one for 6 years now) feels like a medium-thickness neck to me. It has shoulders that make it feel bigger, but it still isn't as thin as some of the older Wizard necks. The neck on my Jem, which is a 90th HAM with a Wizard neck, is the second thinnest neck I've played next to the original Wizard I sanded down even further and refinished, which was probably about as thin as you can go before going through into the truss-rod channel.

6. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD Bass Player in Exile

Some people like thin necks, and some people don't. It's personal preference.

I will say, though, that a well-shaped neck with a continuous curve around the cross-section, with no "shoulders", works well to give thicker necks are more svelte feel in the hand.

My standard neck carve is pretty thick, upwards of 15/16"-1" at the 1st fret including the fretboard and fret, but it feels nice because it is very smooth and round. There are no sudden changes in attitude or angle or anything.

7. Renkenstein

Renkenstein SS.org Regular

I shaped this last neck with that exact mindset. I remember I played a Godin years ago that I fkn drooled over. It was thick, but it had a very pronounced V shape. I have a USA Hamer Chaparal that has an unusually thick neck for a floyd equipped single humbucker shred machine. It's also ridiculously comfy, and the mass of the neck just gives this guitar a monstrous sound. I wanted to recreate that feel and resonance.

...I hate those old FATASS Gibson necks you find on the random SG or LP. Those are sloppy jalopy whaling necks. MAN THE HARPOONS!!!

8. CD1221

CD1221 SS.org Regular

It is most certainly the acute cramping and residual pain that stops you playing or months at a time.

Yeah, vote no to thin necks.

9. asher

asher So Did We

After running a bunch of hard core practicing this week on some translated fiddle licks on my 1527... I might have to agree with this. I love the shape, but it really did my left wrist a number the day after :ugh:

My wrists are kinda sensitive to begin with, soooo.

10. DistinguishedPapyrus

DistinguishedPapyrus SS.org Regular

You know I never really thought about this. I always thought the really skinny necks were where it's at, but my main guitar I always play is a Les Paul. So far I've never had wrist cramps due to the neck thickness.

11. Hachetjoel

Hachetjoel Ibanez whore Contributor

I'm actually going to disagree with all of you on this one, my hands cramp up on fat necks, and they're just not comfortable for me. so for me its got to be a thin neck.

But Ryan Bruce has a pretty good video where he talks about how fatter necks make you play in a more relaxed position so you don't cramp up.

12. KnightroExpress

KnightroExpress Guitar Nerd Vendor

I think it just boils down to personal preference. I have an original Wizard neck that's extremely thin and flat and I love it. To be fair though, I don't typically play for extended periods.

13. TRENCHLORD

TRENCHLORD Banned

About 19mm +/- a mm at the nut is my perfect depth, and 43mm width. (like anything from wizard2 through Carvin's standard6, Becker depth is about perfecto IMO)
    I don't mind the neck getting a bit deeper or wider up high, like most do.

14. MattThePenguin

MattThePenguin SS.org Regular

I can't say I have a preference. I like thick/medium necks on six string guitars and thin/medium thin necks on ERGs. Thick ERG necks are an absolute nightmare for me.

15. Konfyouzd

Konfyouzd Dread-I Master Contributor

Thinner necks are more comfortable for some ppl to play.

Thicker necks are more comfortable for some ppl to play.

Some people prefer a neck that's neither thick nor thin...

Thick and thin are relative to the expectations of the person holding the guitar.

I imagine that's why there's a spectrum of neck profiles and thicknesses from which to choose...

16. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I always figured it depends on what you're playing. I've always been under the impression that the appeal of a thin neck is that it's "fast playing". Maybe that's because there's less in the way? You can reach farther? I don't know the reason, but if I play anything with a lot of movement, I'd rather have the thin neck- but when playing something where you have to hold on to a bar chord in one spot for a while, there's less supporting the thumb, so my hand gets sore because of the extra pressure holding everything down.

In other words, for me, sustained chords = thick neck, shreddy metal nonsense = thin neck.

17. Konfyouzd

The way you grip the neck to do things makes a difference too. For example...

How do you play power chords?

If I hit root w my pointer, fif with the ring and octave w the pinky my hand doesn't cramp on thinner necks with flat radii.

If I use the pointer to hit the root and just barre fif and octave using the ring I cramp up in minutes on a thin neck. Even a Jackson which typically has a bit more to hold onto than an Ibanez.

18. n4t

n4t SS.org Regular

I generally do not 'grip' the neck. I only put the pad of my thumb on it. Thinner necks give me more range of motion, feel faster, and are more comfortable.

This may be because I have small (7") hands. Folks with larger hands might want more of a curved contour for comfort.

19. Konfyouzd

Yea I do the same thing it has nothing to do with the size of my hands, though. I can reach more shit with my thumb in the middle of the neck. Be that as it may, you're *holding* the neck in some way. Perhaps it's not fap grip, and perhaps grip isn't the proper word to convey what I was trying to point out (or maybe you just like to nit pick), but I think we know what was meant. :2c:

20. steinmetzify

steinmetzify CHUG & SLUDGE

Can't do it. I buy 1-2 Ibbys a year mostly because I see something new and 'have to have it' and always end up selling them almost immediately. My #1 is a hugely fat necked custom built LP, way bigger than most R7s I've played. I'm on the hunt for a fat necked 7 string atm....some guys here recommended Agiles and LTDs and I think that's the route I'm going to go. All the Ibbys I've played completely cramp my hand up after about an hour.