What's on your workbench?

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by Walterson, Mar 5, 2013.

1. Omzig

Omzig SS.org Regular

That looks super,my bro was telling me about some guys he knows via archery stuff & he does an epoxy finish with whats called the "massey finish" using quick 2 part epoxy thinned with acetone as a carrier,as photobucket has fucked up the web i can't seem to find any good pics of it as a finish atm
    but im going to give it a try myself mid week once i get the HM strat mod out the way.

2. Ernesto

Ernesto SS.org Regular

I left all of the meat between the neck and bridge so I think it should be ok. I mainly removed the horns and a bunch of thickness at the sides.

Thanks for the tip on the inserts. It sounds like either removal method would ruin them though. Is it best to pull them from the front or back? I sanded them down far enough that the little flanges are almost gone but it looked to me like they had to be put in there in two pieces.

3. pondman

pondman Build Whore. Contributor

I'd be drilling those out to avoid tear out on the body.

Ernesto likes this.
  4. electriceye

electriceye SS.org Regular

Started on my third build last night. A white limba V (you know, Korina), to '67 specs (because that's the template I have), with a nice, striped ebony board. Although, I hate to cover the limba with the larger pickguard, so I'm likely going to alter it and make it a lot more like a '58. Gonna throw in a gold EMG Het Set. Undecided on the headstock. I'm probably going to go with basic gloss black, but pondering one of the figured laminates I have. Only issue is they clash with the striped ebony. My last V took me 11 months to build. I'm hoping I can bang this one out in 3, with a lot less mistakes (already made one in cutting out HS shape too soon, but fixed it). I'm not a building wizard like a certain someone who likes to work one-handed, but, I'm getting there. :D

Attached Files:

geoffstgermaine likes this.
  5. FetzEgemony

FetzEgemony SS.org Regular

Glued the top on the amaranth 7 string tele i posted here before..
    20171202_130554.jpg
    being my first build i'm Learning so many things.. made so much errors which i hope i will avoid next time..

IGC likes this.
  6. LiveOVErdrive

LiveOVErdrive CNC hack

Getting a little inlay practice making a Hanukkah gift for my girlfriend's mom.

IMG_20171215_163732_1513379035086.jpg

Maple coasters with exotic wood inlays. Left to right : purpleheart, wenge, Bloodwood, Rosewood.

The rest of that piece of purpleheart is going to be a fretboard soon :)

7. Walshy

Walshy SS.org Regular

You're really doing great work with your CNC now, Live. I think I'd endlessly be making little trinkets like that if ever I pulled the trigger on one!

LiveOVErdrive likes this.
  8. BlackMastodon

BlackMastodon \m/ (゚Д゚) \m/ Contributor

Started making saw dust again today for the first time in a long time. Building myself a desk so I can finally set up my office. No pics yet but I'll throw some up when I finish.

pondman likes this.
  9. KR250

KR250 SS.org Regular

Thinking ahead to a future guitar build, I bought this quarter sawn 1 piece of Ziricote earlier in the year. Debating halving it into 2 thin set necks, or keep as 1 piece for a neck through, Or.... cut it and add two strips of purpleheart for a 5 piece neck. What say you? Keep it one piece, NT?
    [​IMG]

Walshy, geoffstgermaine and Lemonbaby like this.
  10. jwade

jwade Doooooooooom

Just picked up a fresh four foot slab of swamp ash, most likely for a Fireman 8 string build, AND a beautiful piece of Honduran mahogany for the body of a lefty SG copy I'm going to build for my little brother :hbang:

11. electriceye

electriceye SS.org Regular

My hair metal superstrat is alllllmost done!! I am loving the Spraymax 1k clear. I may leave it as-is and not bother level-sanding and polishing it.

Attached Files:

neun Arme and KR250 like this.
  12. Soya

Soya Poor person Contributor

Guess my fret cutters didn't like the stainless wire.

[​IMG]

Knarbens likes this.
  13. marcwormjim

marcwormjim SS.org Regular

My cutters didn’t fall apart, but similarly struggled with SS. I ended up using a dremel to cut from the tang-side. If stainless refrets ever become a regular thing for me, I’ll likely invest in some dedicated, heavy-duty nippers.

14. LiveOVErdrive

LiveOVErdrive CNC hack

I ruined a set of cutters on SS frets, too. Then I bought a dedicated set of fret nippers made for SS.

... Except that dedicated set looks just like the ones you just broke. Uh oh :)

15. Soya

Soya Poor person Contributor

Yeah I will be going the dremel route now, was hoping to avoid the dust and the noise but also doesn't require a palm busting squeeze.

16. KR250

KR250 SS.org Regular

What brand? I've used the Stew Mac cutters for 4 SS fretted guitars so far and see no visible damage to them, nor have had any issues. (knock on wood)

17. LiveOVErdrive

LiveOVErdrive CNC hack

Stew Mac, but I think the pair I ruined was a fret puller, not intended to be used as a cutter. I notched the blades real bad.

18. Walshy

Walshy SS.org Regular

Chris from Carillion once told me he bought his cutters from eBay for about £20 and they were just regular ones and he hadn't had issues with them being blunted. Look for chrome vanadium, I reckon.

19. Walshy

Walshy SS.org Regular

Whoa, that must have cost a fortune to get quartersawn ziri like that! All heartwood as well.

I'd keep it as a one-piece neck thru due to the sheer beauty of this species. I can understand the urge to get two blanks from it though if you did laminate. Do a build thread when you decide what you're doing. Loved your last few.

KR250 likes this.
  20. LiveOVErdrive

LiveOVErdrive CNC hack

Today, what's on my workbench is...

NOTHING! HAHAHAHA

IMG_20171228_181137_1514506524747.jpg

I finally cleaned my shop. As I'm sure all of you can relate, it is a damn fine feeling.