What's on your workbench?

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by Walterson, Mar 5, 2013.

1. Omzig

Omzig SS.org Regular

That looks super,my bro was telling me about some guys he knows via archery stuff & he does an epoxy finish with whats called the "massey finish" using quick 2 part epoxy thinned with acetone as a carrier,as photobucket has fucked up the web i can't seem to find any good pics of it as a finish atm
    but im going to give it a try myself mid week once i get the HM strat mod out the way.

2. Ernesto

Ernesto SS.org Regular

I left all of the meat between the neck and bridge so I think it should be ok. I mainly removed the horns and a bunch of thickness at the sides.

Thanks for the tip on the inserts. It sounds like either removal method would ruin them though. Is it best to pull them from the front or back? I sanded them down far enough that the little flanges are almost gone but it looked to me like they had to be put in there in two pieces.

3. pondman

pondman Build Whore. Contributor

I'd be drilling those out to avoid tear out on the body.

Ernesto likes this.
  4. electriceye

electriceye SS.org Regular

Started on my third build last night. A white limba V (you know, Korina), to '67 specs (because that's the template I have), with a nice, striped ebony board. Although, I hate to cover the limba with the larger pickguard, so I'm likely going to alter it and make it a lot more like a '58. Gonna throw in a gold EMG Het Set. Undecided on the headstock. I'm probably going to go with basic gloss black, but pondering one of the figured laminates I have. Only issue is they clash with the striped ebony. My last V took me 11 months to build. I'm hoping I can bang this one out in 3, with a lot less mistakes (already made one in cutting out HS shape too soon, but fixed it). I'm not a building wizard like a certain someone who likes to work one-handed, but, I'm getting there. :D

Attached Files:

5. FetzEgemony

FetzEgemony SS.org Regular

Glued the top on the amaranth 7 string tele i posted here before..
    20171202_130554.jpg
    being my first build i'm Learning so many things.. made so much errors which i hope i will avoid next time..