What's on your workbench?

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by Walterson, Mar 5, 2013.

1. Lemonbaby

Lemonbaby SS.org Regular

Curing a sprayed finish has nothing to do with humidity levels - you're not drying wood. It's a chemical process that speeds up with temperature and energy supplied e.g. UV light.

2. Lemonbaby

Lemonbaby SS.org Regular

Sorry double post... :facepalm:

3. Lemonbaby

Lemonbaby SS.org Regular

Finished my body yesterday, the neck still needs some work (fine sanding, frets/fretwork, oil). Sorry for the unsharp picture, light is terrible today and I was too lazy to set up the tripod...

[​IMG]

4. Walshy

Walshy SS.org Regular

Wow, very nice take on a Strat!

5. LiveOVErdrive

LiveOVErdrive SS.org Regular

I LOVE that color combo on the strat. Also that picture is actually pretty darn sharp. Cell phone camera?

6. Lemonbaby

Lemonbaby SS.org Regular

I use an Olympus E-M5 + Lightroom. This one only got somewhat sharp by downsampling.

As you might have noticed, the slot for the three way switch is too wide and a little misaligned. In lack of a better tool for this, I usually drill 2mm holes and work through the plastic with a thin file. Do you guys have any tips how this can be done better/faster/cleaner? :scratch:

7. pondman

pondman Build Whore. Contributor

I drill 2 holes then join em up with one of these https://www.zoro.co.uk/shop/abrasiv...IvRA0pC1xnlxfqlkDEP9kw4crYEsmfV8aAmT3EALw_wcB

or

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/produ...G4AlV9Q0zXQVvVJn3gsaAs6yEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

8. electriceye

electriceye SS.org Regular

I love the gray. Been thinking about making a superstrat myself with a slightly lighter gray. Never thought of adding pink, but now.... hmmm...

9. LiveOVErdrive

I've been wanting to do an RG-like thing in "bland 1960s control panel gray" lately.

[​IMG]

Like the L-shaped bank of buttons on the right.

10. Lemonbaby

Lemonbaby SS.org Regular

11. LiveOVErdrive

Dear God, why are we not all using epoxy clear coat?
    IMG_20171123_224416_1511498767398.jpg

Thats a water based Acrylic sparkle finish I've been messing around with, and a layer of epoxy on top. Sanded and polished to a mirror shine just three days after applying with a brush. No smell, no VOCs, nontoxic, not flammable. The only drawback I've seen so far is its a little bit of a pain to mix up.

Omzig, IGC and Lemonbaby like this.
  12. pondman

pondman Build Whore. Contributor

Came across these massive Cocobolo boards at a new supplier today, over 12 feet high and around 3 inch thick. I wouldn't get these in my small work shop let alone on my work bench.
    £2500 each plus vat :erk:

[​IMG]DSC_0125 by

Omzig, Pikka Bird and IGC like this.
  13. KR250

KR250 SS.org Regular

What type of Epoxy? I used Zpoxy as a test and came out pretty decent but the fumes made it not pleasant to work with. Have been using it as a thin base layer though.

14. Pikka Bird

Pikka Bird Vaya Con Cornholio

Dude, start building for profit and one of those babes could be your work bench.

Omzig likes this.
  15. LiveOVErdrive

Famowood GlazeCoat
    It may smell while you're mixing and applying it but I wore a respirator. Didn't smell while curing.

Definitely double read all warnings before you try it but from what I've read, epoxy is pretty non dangerous compared to pretty much all finishes in the fumes department. Don't want it touching your skin though.

16. KR250

KR250 SS.org Regular

Ok cool, I know that most epoxies can be a sensitizer so have avoided doing too much with them other than as a base, and also for all the sanding required (or what it took me to get it level). Might go back and try it again for a gloss application but want to try the water based spray on first. Thanks for posting that, I've only had two decent finishes so far and it was using epoxy with satin poly over the top.

17. Mr_Mar10

Mr_Mar10 SS.org Regular

[​IMG]

Pretty much finished this subtle ss :D
    Made from spare (reasonable quality) bits & my last 1 piece block of chestnut
    It’s great fun to play so far!! .. even the alibaba emg copies sound good! Already shreds better than my troublesome previous build lol

Next red ebony top regius clone mmmm

18. Mr_Mar10

Mr_Mar10 SS.org Regular

[​IMG]

Quick mock-up of next one before I glued veneer top on :) not 100% on the zebra pickups yet

KR250 likes this.
  19. Ernesto

Ernesto SS.org Regular

You guys are gonna laugh. I did this last night.

My mom is an amazing pyrographer and said she wants to wood burn some guitars. Since I'm only set up to build metal guitars right now, and just barely set up to do that, I decided to cut up an old left for dead Schecter 006. I probably carved half of the weight out of it and it's really comfortable now. It reminds me of some other guitar shape but I just did it by eye/feel and that's how it came out. Does anyone know how to get the little brass string through doo dads out? They were totally corroded. I was just going to drill them out and make new ones but figured I'd ask if there's an easier way.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

20. Lemonbaby

Lemonbaby SS.org Regular

Taking out too much weight might result in neck-dive with this guitar design, but let's see. To remove the string through inserts, use a thread cutter and pull them out with a screw...

Ernesto and Omzig like this.