What's going with ESP?

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by behemoth4ever, Aug 22, 2017.

1. Womb raider

Womb raider ESP Addict

setsuna7, feraledge and NickS like this.
  2. feraledge

feraledge Heard the Good News about Maple Fretboards? Contributor

3. feraledge

Huge difference. Attention to detail, quality of the woods is massive. That top is very 3D and not disappointing from any angle. The fret ends are the best I've ever seen.
    How do you value the custom experience? I do a lot. So things like alder body, maple neck thru, the satin extra thin U neck profile... Naturally that's worth more to me because this has been my dream guitar for years. Over a year later and I love it as much if not more.
    So objectively speaking, if anyone picked it up off the rack and didn't see the marking, it's easy to see this is above the EII/Standard line. Whether most people would say it's worth it would probably come down to how much they like my specs. Absolutely worth it to me and I really doubt anyone who has an internet in ESP would pick it up and not be impressed.

skewkus13 likes this.
  4. feraledge

5. Womb raider

Womb raider ESP Addict

Maybe you could round up a couple guys to throw down on a special run. But then again, it's hard to get anyone to agree on specs. I recall a seafoam green horizon run before.. did anything come of that?

6. feraledge

I have a couple ideas I'd like to work through as well, the seafoam among them. Idea was shelved mostly due to lack of dealers worth working with. So nothing but so far. I'm still working on some ideas and in roads.

Blytheryn likes this.
  7. Womb raider

Womb raider ESP Addict

Well, you can always go the custom route. You won't have to pay the piper for at least a year. Kidding.. sort of

8. Ikke

Ikke A Dream Cartographer

In addition to what Feral said, the Horizon Custom, USA, & Standard/E-II all have a slightly different carve style and body thickness from each other. You can see the horn carves are different. The difference is subtle but discernable. The USA top carve is closer to a Standard/E-II carve, and its body is thicker than the STD/EII. The Custom top carve is unique to the Custom and body thickness on production customs will vary depending on the year.

EDIT: Just to add, from what I know of Feral's HCS, it's design is closest to a Horizon-II style CTM.

Standard/E-II

[​IMG]

USA

[​IMG]

Custom

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
  9. feraledge

FYI, @Ikke my custom is standard thickness. Not CTM.

10. Ikke

I should've made clear, I'm making a distinction between the Horizon-II CTM and the Horizon CTM (2016 - present). I probably wasn't clear about that lol.

I was trying to say your Horizon is styled after Horizon-II CTM (from 1995 - 2013ish). Looks like I failed at that lol. I need to go to bed.

For others I may have confused. Not directed @feraledge (I know you know this stuff already)

This is a Horizon-II (The Horizon II-NT is a different guitar)
    [​IMG]

This is the first Horizon-CTM (CTM = Custom Traditional Model = Horizon-II + Quilt/Flame Top = Horizon-II CTM). CTM just means it's somehow modified from another model. For example, an M-II CTM is a Custom M-II Deluxe.

[​IMG]

This is the new Horizon-CTM (2016ish - present) but it's more like CTM of the first CTM as its built way different from the first one.

[​IMG]

11. skewkus13

skewkus13 SS.org Regular

Is it just the lighting or does the hand carve on the lower horn look a little more subtle on the USA and E-ii??
    Sidenote. Love me some Reindeer blue. Odd name for a dark purple though haha. Coz japan thats why.

12. Ikke

The Custom is the only one with a hand carve (it's a deep cutout). The lower horn carves on the USA and EII are non-functional and for looks only (shallow cuts like the upper horn carve). Not really (meant to be) hand carves, just body cuts to accentuate the archtop.

And yeah reindeer blue has never made any sense to me either.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2017
    skewkus13 likes this.
  13. couverdure

couverdure No Gear Day

All these guitars in this thread makes me wish I was an ESP fanboy instead of Ibanez. I've only ever seen up to mid-end LTDs here in my country and those don't seem to do it for me.

14. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire 8 string hoarder

i've seen some reindeer blue esps that actually look more blueish. Probably just depends on the lighting and who was dyeing the top.

15. prlgmnr

prlgmnr ...that kind of idea

I need your clothes, your boots, and your guitar.

feraledge likes this.
  16. skewkus13

skewkus13 SS.org Regular

Hahaha its not the blue part thats confusing. Its the reindeer part. lol

17. skewkus13

skewkus13 SS.org Regular

Why not be both. I am. haha

18. Andromalia

Andromalia Pardon my french

Just to add a grain of salt to what Feraledge said. Own opinion, not worth more than anyone else's but here's what I think.
    I currently own 1 ESP standard, 1 ESP Craft House small run and an ESP Original (this one: http://www.musicaudioshop.com/esp-g...e-transparent-guitares-electriques_p14952.htm I luckily paid 1999€ for it during winter sales last january, was a totally unplanned "I can't miss that" buy.)

The Craft House is among them the inferior instrument. Mind you, it's good, but it's just good.
    The Standard (it's a Viper) and the ultratone are VERY close in quality. Both feel like they'd win a contest with the ground after a 50m drop. Note that viper is the "true" one, with dot inlays, ebony board and set neck.
    Both of those guitars are in the same league as my Jackson CS or my Amfisound. Basically the best money can buy while not forking out stupid money for pretty woods. (Ok, the ultratone wood although nothing special in terms of species *is* very pretty)

I haven't found that level of quality in EIIs. So, maybe I was lucky with my Viper (bought it off for 700$ which was 560ish€ at the time from a guy in the Dean forum) but there are some phenomenal guitars to be had there, and every 90-2005 ESP I played has been stupidly good. I still want to buy a KH2 from those times someday, it was the guitar that addicted me to ESP when I tried it in a shop.

19. JD27

JD27 ESP Cult Member

I know the Craft House are custom, but where they exactly fit in the Custom Shop order, I don't know. I know you can get really crazy stuff from them, pretty sure they are for the Japan market only as far as ordering though. I've seen Jackson style headstocks on them.

20. Blytheryn

Blytheryn Musical Adam West

From what I've heard the craft house is where all the real artist sigs for the big hitters are made, not in the normal custom shops. I heard from Alexi Laiho's tech that Alexi's actual sig ESP with the new album's artwork on it cost around 12,000 dollars. Not that he had to pick up the tab...
    [​IMG]