What would you do.......bass recording....

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by IdentityDevice, Oct 5, 2017.

1. IdentityDevice

IdentityDevice SS.org Regular

Hey guys! Alright so for years now i've been recording bass like a lot of people, recording 2 to 3 DI's of the same performance and using the low for the basically unprocessed Clean tone and then a cleaner mid range tone and a distorted high end tone with the 3rd. Well I just got the Darkglass Alpha Omicron and am looking to get either a DI box or a Sans Amp or something that will still enable me to capture a clean DI low end. I should've just bought the Alpha Omega but honestly I just didn't have that much available on my Sweetwater card :p But really I think it'll benefit me in the long run because I can just add to my bass Preamps later on and not have my DI tied to the Alpha so. But anyways,
    I am recording bands as well and I know the Sans Amp is pretty popular and a good bass sound so I think it'd be a good tool to have and I was thinking I could get that to use for the DI and use it in conjunction with the Alpha Omicron. Would that work? Would the Alpha sound different or be colored by the Sans Amp at all if i'm only using the Sans Amp for the DI? Or should I just get a Radial DI box or something? I'm thinking about the Sans Amp because I feel like it'd be better for cleaner bass tones as the Alpha is not super clean and is more about the Dirt and Gritty tones. Just thought i'd ask here for any suggestions and see what you guys would do in my situation. Thanks a bunch!!!

2. newamerikangospel

newamerikangospel Tonight.......you

I feel like you are limiting yourself. I wouldn't personally split the DI at recording, just take the DI, then split into different sounds to stack as a standard reamp session. Apart from using my b7k on a track, I actually get a lot of my bass tones from guitar amps (dual rectifier on green/pushed is a great "clank" track). If I am not running my type85 into my mpa, I just go straight into my interface. Im not sure the radial DI would do anything for you, other than give you an option to go between mic and line level by reversing the signal.

3. IdentityDevice

Thanks for the feedback. So you are saying I should just record the DI's and then re-amp the dirty track through the Alpha Omicron or whatever else I decide to use as well? I have a re-amp box it's just such a pain in the ass lol I managed to figure out how to do it once and then couldn't ever figure it out again. But I guess if I did it more often i'd get better at it. But is that what you are saying basically? Like save my money and just re-amp?

4. IdentityDevice

Also.....is Silent Sun your band? Some nasty stuff man!!!!

5. newamerikangospel

newamerikangospel Tonight.......you

Yeah, dont the micron should cover a lot of ground, but dont discount what you already have for bass tones.

And thanks for the compliment :)

6. KingAenarion

KingAenarion Resident Studio Nerd

Yea, 1 bass track duplicated is the way to go.

The way I track bass is I record a DI track, but monitor through an amp simulator (I use my Axe FX). That way they get the vibe. I also track the AxeFX just so I have an idea of what's going on.

Then I edit and comp from that, delete the AxeFX track. Then I have 3 tracks.

1 - DI - Low end only, smashed to shit with compressors and limiters and multibands. Then I freeze it, and put a final ducking compressor on it tied to the kick, taking off like 2dB when the kick hits in just the low end.

2 - Amp tone - a little grimey, but not really distorted. Missing a good portion of the low end, nothing really below 500Hz usually

3 - Distortion tone - only when the heavy guitars are playing. Grimey and distorted as can be without losing note definition or attack. Binds the bass to the guitars and makes everything heavier.

7. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

IMO I wouldn't use a sansamp to try to get an uncoloured plain low end track. I had a Sansamp RBI, and while it had a good sound to it, it was not the pure/clean sound of the instrument. It has lots of its own colour. I have a plain ol' radial DI that does a much better job of plain/clean low tracks, for my purposes. You could blend the sansamp into that, or an amp sim, or a real amp, guitar amp, whatever you want after that. :2c:

8. IdentityDevice

Yeah the way I do it now is I record 3 DI's and process them differently. And use Amplitube Ampeg SVT and just just keep the difference for the 60/80-250 range but since I got this pedal I'm trying to figure out the best way to go about doing a similar method with pedals. I came across the Mesa subway bass DI and almost feel like I can't say no to it lol

9. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Honestly, it's probably easier to do it all in the box, rather than with a pedal.

I generally either record a DI and process it ITB, or track through a Sansamp RPM and record the DI and grit tracks separately, and blend to taste.

10. IdentityDevice

I feel ya man. Maybe I shot myself in the foot but getting the mini version of the Alpha. But I already got the pedal and love it so now i'm just going to expand on it I guess. I mean I still have the option of just going into my interface and using sims and stuff but i'm really thinking about getting that Mesa Subway bass DI pedal. It has a thru and DI and also has the option of Pre and Post eq so that's pretty cool. I also do have a re-amp box so I can always do it that way too if I can figure out how to reamp again haha. Thanks a lot for the input fella's. I appreciate you all!!!

11. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Well, if you want to use it, IMO, I'd strongly recommend figuring out your reamping signal chain and then recording your base direct, duplicating the track, and reamping one through the pedal. That or maybe grab an A/B/Y amp switcher pedal, plugging into that, and splitting your signal between the pedal and a DI track.

12. IdentityDevice

I refigured out how to reamp last night :) haha Thanks for your input man! It's still a pain in the a** but maybe a necessary one that will come in really handy for me.

13. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

14. Ocara-Jacob

Ocara-Jacob SSO Recluse

Compared to other people in this thread I do a whole lot less crazy stuff with bass. I generally take a straight DI, the DI output on my B7K, and an output of my entire bass chain (Bass --> Darkglass Super Symmetry --> B7K --> Axe FX Standard --> Sometimes a power amp and a cab if I'm feelin' it).

The DI gets low-passed at like 200 Hz and compressed a ton and blended to taste. the B7K output gets sent into an IR that varies a bit, and the Axe FX output gets a bunch of EQ and compression.

The final result is about 70% Axe-FX, 15% DI and 15% B7K --> IR.

IdentityDevice likes this.