What would sound better?

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by GreatWhiteDope, Mar 1, 2009.

1. GreatWhiteDope

GreatWhiteDope SS.org Regular

Recently I have looking to record some songs as a solo project, got a program for drum tracks, way to mic my amp, way to record vocals, but the only thing missing is bass. I've come up with a few ideas for creating a bass track and I would like to know what's best in your opinion:

A) I could simply program a bass track, however, a lot of the songs I want to record have isolated bass riffs, where only the bass plays. I would think that this option would sound pretty bad since it usually does for guitar as well.

B) I could try recording it on guitar, clean settings on my amp, and then lower it an octave with effects, cut the highs and mids and try to get it to sound somewhat like a bass to give me almost Frankensteinian bass line.

C) I have $350 I could use to buy a bass guitar, which would be fine on my part. However, I only have an EMU-4040 to run it through to record directly from - I have no bass amps or preamps.
    **I also would like to know if I do invest in a bass preamp and speaker cabinet in the future, would I be able to simply run the bass preamp output into my Peavey 6505+'s Pre-Amp In port and use my Peavey for it's power amp alone? Also, would this sound good or would it kill my lows since it is a guitar amp? - Keeping in mind I would buy a bass cabinet for it.

Which option do you think would be best?

Randy likes this.
  2. Scar Symmetry

Scar Symmetry Ex Whiny Bitch

buy a real bass and DI it

3. FourFour

FourFour 4/4

Option C. Lows should be intact. I'm not too sure about that bass preamp into 6505 poweramp issue. Something about the fx-send, I think you can do it. Don't take my word for it tho, go ask around the "Gear" section.

4. CynicEidolon

CynicEidolon And still he waits..

If you are going to get a bass pre, you might as well just get a head all together if you are getting a cabinet. Cutting corners really comes through in recording.

5. SHRC7

SHRC7 SS.org Regular

get a friends bass