What would be considered LIGHT strings for tuning to B?

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by Dusty201087, Jul 21, 2009.

1. Dusty201087

Dusty201087 Kenyon class of 2014

Topic^. I use .009's on my 25.5" electric tuned to E standard. What would feel similar in B? I was thinking either .011's or .012's, but I don't really know, so help is appreciated :)

Thanks for reading and thanks to all who respond helpfully, positive rep will be spread around for the latter :cheers:

2. MFB

MFB ExBendable

I used a set of Ernie Ball Beefy's (11-52) in C and C# and they held pretty well but were kind of tight. I imagine in B they may feel a bit lighter and still give you good tension.

Dusty201087 likes this.
  3. MTech

MTech Banned

Use search there's like 10,000 string tension threads and a mod even posted one today stating the best string tension calculator to end all of the repeat posts like this.
    7's come stock with a 52-54 for the B but most big bands playing in B seem to use 11-60 or right around that. The heaviest I have seen is Despised Icon using 13-68's on 24 3/4 & 25.5 scale.

4. Dusty201087

Cool. I may want to try those, because I may also be tuning up to C standard every once in awhile as well.

BTW, what's everyone's impression of Dunlop strings? 'Cause I've been a DR whore for a long time, but Dunlop seem to be getting some decent artists, good reviews AND they're cheap. Are they metal-proof? :lol:

5. zimbloth

zimbloth Nick // Axe Palace Vendor Forum MVP

Well you'd obviously use 9-42 for the top 6 strings since you've already confirmed you dig that. For the 7th, I'd recommend somehing in the 52-56 range.

Personally, I use a .052 for B tuning or occasionally .054 if it's a string with a smaller core. I find lighter strings have better tone and are more aggressive sounding. Definitely tighter and clearer. The heaviest I'd ever use would be a .060 (which is what I use when I tune down a step). As you increase string gauge, the tone becomes more mellow/round.

However, if you want to know what matches up tension wise to the 9's you already use, that would be a 56.

Dusty201087 likes this.
  6. Dusty201087

I was kind of wondering what string gauges would be best on a six string, hence why thing was in the standard guitar section ;) And I tried the string tension calculator, but it and I have some basic disagreements (I can't figure the damn thing out :lol:)

7. zimbloth

What's the difference? I already answered your question didn't I? B tuning either way. Fine, scrap the high E:

12-16-24-32-42-52 (or 54-56)

I carry a lot of Dunlop strings at my store. So far everyone I've sold them to has liked them a lot, but I'm sure they're not for everyone. If you want to try some I can hook you up though.

8. groph

groph SS.org Regular

I use D'Addario 12-54's on my 25.5" scale. I just swap that horrid plain G for something wound, like a 22. It's pretty loose in B but it still holds tune. It's pretty nice in C standard, and really tight in C#.

And yeah, about the tone changing as you move up gauges. It does get more round as the strings get bigger. That's why I now hate heavy heavy strings and tunings lower than B standard/drop A occasionally whenever I play. A 54 is the lightest I'd use for a B though.

Dusty201087 likes this.
  9. MTech

MTech Banned

I was a total DR whore too.. but if you're having issues why switch? don't judge a string (especially a brand new one) on new artists out of nowhere... also note part of the sales pitch is lower tension which I never quite understood since everybody is looking for exactly the opposite anymore.
    I have a set of the dunlops I got I STILL need to toss on to try out but I'm waiting till I'm able to check them out in a studio to really compare how they are.

Dusty201087 likes this.
  10. Cheesebuiscut

Cheesebuiscut Loves his Q-tuners

Ok if you like the tension of 9's in E standard then just take the same pack of 9's ditch the high E and get a .056 for the B

BAM problem solved.

Dusty201087 likes this.
  11. zimbloth

Dunlop has high tension sets too, such as the 10-46 (+60) sets I have here. Regardless, I think there are plenty of players out there who don't buy into the newbish 'the heavier the gauge the heavier the tone' myth. Reality is, the heavier the gauge the more mellow/round the tone. Which at least for metal, would make it the opposite of heavy since you'd have less attack, less growl, and murkier lows.

Tension is relative, and just about any string gauge can work for any tuning (within reason) as long as one's technique adjusts. Lighter tension simply means you don't have to exert as much force to get the same relative attack/vibration out of your strings. Therefore, you don't have to bash the strings to get a big powerful sound. Of course, if you have light gauges and bash into them anyways then yeah it will seem loose. However if you adjust your technique to take advantage of the improved efficiency, there's no worries.

If people are comfortable with ultra-heavy sets, then that's totally cool. There's no right or wrong. But the stigma out there that heavier=better is really a silly misconception that a lot of guitarists fall for. I was one of them too once (I used to use 14-70s back in the day).

FWIW, I've installed a few sets of the Dunlops on customer guitars, and they feel pretty standard to me. People seem to dig them and they sound really good. I still prefer Elixirs though :)

12. Dusty201087

Where do you buy your wound G's, just out of curiosity?

I'm assuming you mean if you're NOT having issues then why switch, but either way it seems like more and more my DR's are rusting faster and faster. It used to take a month before they went dead, now it takes a matter of days.

And thanks Nick, I may have to hit you up later. Just send them along with one of those spare Caparison's you have :idea:

13. zimbloth

You're saying you'd want the .016 in a 12-54 (or whatever) set to be wound? Why? By 'G', do you mean the third string in that set (the .024)? In that case, a lot of sets of 12s do have those gauges. I know Elixir, Dunlop, and several others do.

Dude this really isn't rocket science. You stated you were happy with 9's in standard tuning. B tuning is standard tuning more or less, but with a low B. So, get a set that has the same gauges as 9-42 but without the 9 and with an added 52/54. The end :)

I've been tuning my 6s to BEADF#B for 10 years. I've always found 12s or 13s to be ideal. Personally I now use the Elixir 12-52 set w/ a single 9 if its a 7. If you like 9s in standard tuning, then stick to it and just worry about the low B string.

14. Dusty201087

I think that's what I'm saying. Sorry, my stupidity level in my recent posts may be because I haven't slept for a long time :lol:. I'm trying to say if I'm tuned B/E/A/D/G/B, I'd like a wound D string. Would that be kind of "standard" if I bought .012 strings?

15. Harry

Harry Doom man of Doom. Contributor

For a low B, I usually experiment anywhere between 52 and 60. I lean more towards 56 right now though.

Dusty201087 likes this.
  16. CrushingAnvil

CrushingAnvil \m not jesus land m/

11-52 is a perfect match I'm pretty sure...

If you played 10-46 it would be 13-56.

But, you can mix and match or whatever.

Dusty201087 likes this.
  17. zimbloth

Yes dude. For example:

Elixir 12s: 12-16-24w-32-42-52
    Dunlop 12s: 12-16-24w-32-42-54

Some brands like Dean Markley and Ernie Ball give you plain steel 3rd strings, but I forget. Worst comes to worst you can always make it simple and just buy a set of anyone's regular 9s and buy the low B string separately. That's what I do anyways when I put together the Dunlop 7-string sets on my site since they don't have official 7 sets.

Dusty201087 likes this.
  18. s_k_mullins

s_k_mullins !@#$?!

Just depends on the brand of string.. i recently bought a set of Ernie Ball "Not Even Slinky" strings (12-56) and they came with a plain 24 for the 3rd string. So just check out different brands of 12's and pick a set with the wound 3rd string, or take Zimbloth's advice and do your own custom set

19. MTech

MTech Banned

That's exactly what I've been seeing a lot of lately. :noplease:

Yea that's what I meant :agreed:
    That's interesting and sad to hear, I always loved their strings and if I'm in a bind where I'm out of mine I'll buy DR but it's been ages. I wonder if they switched materials or maybe switched companies of who's making them??

20. Dusty201087

I don't know, but it's been really recently that this has happened. I just figured it was one pack, then two, then one order, but nope. I've had them rust within days in like 4-5 packs now, and for $7-$8 a pack I'd rather have strings that will go for at least a week.

And thanks everyone for the help, sorry I was so tired when I made this :lol: