What to get

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by Dawn of the Shred, Apr 4, 2012.

1. Dawn of the Shred

Dawn of the Shred MIW Creature

thinking about buying my first 8 string what would be the best to get for around 300 to 550. thank you for your time and help.

2. Galius

Galius Mentally Guitarded

3. Setnakt

Setnakt il Brutto

Rondo often has Agiles in stock for $500-600, for more variety and a longer scale length than the Schecters. Could maybe find a used one if you're lucky? Otherwise, Rondo Music Home Page

4. Philligan

Philligan The White-Knuckler Contributor

I second a used Damien Elite 8. That and the Hellraiser 8 felt a lot better than the two Agiles I've played/owned (I mean quality-wise). I could have gotten lemon Agiles or unusually good Schecters, but I'd take the Damien Elite 8 I had over either Agile :shrug:

I've never played an Omen 8 but a bunch of dudes here have them, that's definitely worth considering too. Hopefully some will chime in. Unless you know for sure you want a longer scale (28"+), then I'd say Schecter :2c:

5. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

I'd probably go Agile in that price range.

6. Semichastny

Semichastny SS.org Regular

I don't know if Schecter fixed up their necks in the newer models but I've read that more then a few people sold them because of an uncomfortably wide neck and really short scale. A 26.5 scale F# with a .074 string = Regular scale E .043 string tension wise, while a 28.625 scale F# .074 would = Regular scale E .046 tension wise, and 17.0 pounds of tension is what I would consider the cut-off point for a naturally good tone that you don't have to Compress/Distort/EQ the shit out to use. Also it will be harder accommodate a lower tuning with the short scale. I'd say go for Agile, but if you like Schecters and don't really care to much for the features agile offers they both have reasonably priced options.

7. Brohoodofsteel75

Brohoodofsteel75 SS.org Regular

Search c8 in guitar center used. Theyve got a Hellraiser for $500