What techniques are you currently working on?

Discussion in 'Music Theory, Lessons & Techniques' started by distressed_romeo, Feb 16, 2006.

1. Metal Ken

Metal Ken Hates the Air Contributor

I can see how it leads to 'roboticism' i guess. I'm using it strictly to improve my picking. i'm keeping all my phrasing stuff seperate and working on scalar shapes strictly with the intent of speed. I work on coming up with interesting ideas and phrasings whenever i get something that pops in my head...

2. distressed_romeo

distressed_romeo F'king ............ Forum MVP

It can also help when learning odd note groupings, as you don't fall back into playing everything in groups of three or four without realising it. I was going over this with a student today.

3. distressed_romeo

Some odd-metre riffs. Mainly Dream Theatre and Fates Warning inspired stuff. Jim Matheos is one of my favourite riff-writers!

4. Metal Ken

Metal Ken Hates the Air Contributor

First 3 Fates Warning albums \m/

5. distressed_romeo

I don't know...I prefer the later stuff. My favourite FW albums are probably 'A Pleasant Shade of Grey' and 'Disconnected'.

6. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

+1

[off topic]
    I just realized how much I suck today. I got a riff in my head, got out my Zoom 4-track, and proceded to slop my fingers all over the guitar. I felt pretty confident until I tried to record. Hmm. I'm not sure what happened. If I try again tomorrow, I won't remember the feel of it.
    [/off topic]

7. Ancestor

Ancestor Contributor

Constantly trying to get my extremely limited classical repertoire together. Nothing super impressive. Same stuff everyone does... Dee, Intro to Diary, Bourree, combined parts of intro to Evil Eye (whatever that is, my tab calls it Bourree??) and Greensleeves.

I need to find some more tunes that are easy and memorize them. My finger picking needs a lot of work.

*edit* Never mind it's a type of dance. I should know that from theory. We studied all that stuff.

8. distressed_romeo

Try the Pavane by Gabrial (sp?) Faure. It's pretty easy, very soothing, and most people recognise it when they hear it.:yesway:

9. distressed_romeo

Just some nylon string playing tonight. Feeling kinda crappy, and it always makes me happy again!:)

Haven't picked up my nylon string yet, but I was just learning some of the keyboard and flute parts of Nightwish's 'Moondance'. It's a lot of fun as a solo guitar piece!

10. distressed_romeo

Working on some flashy nylon string stuff earlier this evening.
    Later on, drank too much beer and coffee and made myself feel sick. Printed a bunch of lessons off www.essentialguitarist.com and worked through those. Made self feel a bit better. Currently busting out some sweeps.:metal:

11. distressed_romeo

Some alternate picking exercises today. Mainly two note per string stuff.

12. Desecrated

Desecrated Guest

I'm trying to nail this fucking 13/8 but i keep slipping into 12 all the time.

13. distressed_romeo

Desecrater: I'm working on articulating odd-metres with one of my students at the moment. Feel free to PM me explaining what sort of thing it is your doing (ie. a death metal riff, or a King Crimson lead line), and I'll see if there's any way I can help.

As for me...more alternate picking today! After ranting for so long about the joys of economy picking for so long, I realised today that my alternate picking wasn't as clean as it used to be, particularly when it came to articulating triplets, so just been doing some workouts to get that up to scratch. Being able to do both kinda rocks!

14. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Any tips for lead phrasing improvements in odd meters?

15. distressed_romeo

The imporant thing's to get used to the sound of them and not just play four/four licks over the top (this can be cool if you're into poly-metres, but you should be aware of where the downbeat is at all times). It can often help if you organise your picking patterns via economy picking etc. so you can begin each beat/bar with the same stroke, as that can make locking in the timing easier.
    Having said that, strengthening your upstroke really helps, so you don't necessarily rely on the downstroke method I described above.
    In terms of mechanical exercises, practicing scales and chromatics in groups of five and seven can be a great help in internalising the sound of the odd note groupings, particularly if you play them along on string with strict alternate picking. If you do this for a while, the wierd groupings start to feel just as natural as threes and fours, and they should start creeping into your playing naturally. Once your comfortable with that, you can get into Rusty Cooley/Shawn Lane style poly-metric licks; playing melodic groups of five or seven notes to a strict four-notes-per-beat rhythmic count, which is a great way of constructing really cool, chaotic sounding runs.
    I hope that helps for now. I'm going to write some detailed powertabs explaining all of the above later on today. I'll post them when I'm done.:metal:

bostjan likes this.
  16. garcia3441

garcia3441 Tone Whore Contributor

Arabic Scales. Going through them all to figure out what sounds best when played on a 7.

17. distressed_romeo

General technique workout with a clean tone.

18. distressed_romeo

More alternate picking. Different numbers of notes per string, plus different rhythmic groupings. No amp. Metronome at 120bpm.

Is anyone here ever satisfied with their picking technique? It's the main aspect of my playing that ALWAYS needs some work.

19. distressed_romeo

Lots of chimy and drony stuff on my fretless guitar. Managed to get the action about 3mm lower than it was today, so I'm back into it again! So much fun with a slide or an ebow!

20. Vegetta

Vegetta SS.org Regular

I'm working (as allways it seems) on the pinky and ring finger on my left hand (had them both broken as a young'un and they didnt heal properly - You dont need to go to the hospital :wallbash: )

I work on phrasing a lot - I tend to want to play too fast and it can get boring sounding, not to mention a bit sloppy.

I am allways trying to come up with riffs as well - I tend to try and make them over complicated but whenever I make up some simple riffs I usually kind of scoff and and say its not good enough (I am my worst critic I suppose)

There are a lot of areas I should be focusing on but I think I am in the same boat with Drew - Build on strengths instead of working on weaknesses.

I play mainly for enjoyment now, tho the idea of writing some stuff for recording has started to sound a bit appealing -