What techniques are you currently working on?

Discussion in 'Music Theory, Lessons & Techniques' started by distressed_romeo, Feb 16, 2006.

1. distressed_romeo

distressed_romeo F'king ............ Forum MVP

Some twisted blues phrases a la Marty Friedman, plus general alternate and economy picking practice. Working on some solfege just before I typed this.

2. distressed_romeo

Some Jeff Loomis-inspired sweeps.

3. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Loads of trem-picking - changing every 8 notes and changing every 4 notes against a two-chord vamp on fruity loops to get my changing-from-string-to-string picking smoothed out. Going towards the thinner strings is easy, but coming back up I've always had a little bit of trouble, and I'm finally making progress there.

Another day or so of this (or maybe tonight, depending on how I'm feeling) and I'll be able to drop down to a slower tempo and start working back up, changing notes every two notes. From there, it's just straight alternate scale runs. :metal:

(nice thing about doing picking drills against a backing is, when you want to give your hands a break, you can just lay down some legato licks to loosen back up. :))

4. Chris

Chris metalguitarist.org Forum MVP

Sweeping and tapping, mostly. My legato technique itself isn't bad, but whenever I use it, it sounds really forced. Trying to include it in my normal playing without sounding like Shredder-Playing-Legato-Licks is harder than I figured it would be.

5. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Break out your Satch CD's for a couple days, particularly his slower stuff. Personally, and this is probably because legato is just something I latched onto early on, I find it gives you a lot more options for "looser" phrasing than an alternate picking approach does.

As such, my picking generally sounds forced. :lol:

6. Chris

Chris Quigley does not play cover songs, sir. ;)

7. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

:lol:

I didn't tell you to LEARN his stuff, just listen to it, in particular the way he phrases.

I try to learn some satch every now and then, and still can do a pretty close rendition of "Always with Me..." but I just don't have the patience... :(

8. Chris

Chris Quigley does not need inspiration from anyone but himself.

[action=Chris]references himself in third person some more[/action]

9. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

[action=Drew]bows in awe to Christopher Quigley's godly confidence. [/action]

:fawk:

Drew Peterson, meanwhile, needs all the help he can get. :lol:

10. distressed_romeo

I was the same Drew, I was playing legato style from day one without really thinking about it. Picking was something I really had to work at, as when I tried it it always sounded like that shredder thing Chris described. Nowadays both approaches are about even (i.e. equally bad.).

11. distressed_romeo

Just a general workout tonight. These days I tend to focus on more interesting phrases and practice technique as an extension of that. Plus so more solfege, and some heavy rhythm playing.

12. garcia3441

garcia3441 Tone Whore Contributor

Behind the nut bending, I saw Albert Lee do it. Now I'm trying to incorporate it into my style.

13. shredfreak

shredfreak SS.org Regular

at the moment it's sweep skipping and a lot of stretch exercises. Always do practise alternate picking and legato techniques. And some bluesy impro stuff to keep my phrasing up to a decent and interesting level. A few years back i was obsessed with technique to find out a few months later i couldn't improvise on a simple blues progression, sucks donky balls when you make an ass out of yourself that way :rant:

Really have to agree with drew here on the acoustic thing, specially for legato. With high gain it's easy, but unplugged (or clean even) it's a lot harder to do. Nonetheless it's really worth the hassle of nailing it that way.

I always found rusty cooleys stuff interesting and great to keep my sweeping up to a more then decent level, just start slow and get the figures nailed and then start warping up.

5 am and counting :shred:

14. distressed_romeo

Taking the unplugged thing to an extreme, I've found that practicing all my usual stuff on steel-string acoustic is a great, albeit masochistic, chop builder. I miss my acoustic...it's stranded back home in Belgium!:(

15. Metal Ken

Metal Ken Hates the Air Contributor

trying to get back into my alternate picking

At one point i had 32nd notes at around 94 BPM on the chromatic 1-2-3-4 thingy, but i havent been practicing it, so i need to get my ass in gear.. School sucks :/

16. distressed_romeo

Alternate picking tonight as well...
    Don't know why, but I'm not really playing well tonight. It's annoying as I was on fairly good form earlier today.

Some string skipping and three-note-per-string alternate picking.

17. Metal Ken

Metal Ken Hates the Air Contributor

Yeah, i hate it when that happens. generally thats the "be done for the day" sign for me. still drillin away at the metronome here. put in a good 30 mins on that blasted box earlier. But, you know, as much as people slag them, i definately think its the best practice tool.. \m/

18. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Who slags the metronome? Man, those things are the handiest practice tools, hands down.

Today I did some work on two string bends and my usual arpeggio mayhem.

19. distressed_romeo

Yeah, it's true...if I'm having a really bad evening I'll just put down the electric and just fingerpick the acoustic, just to sooth my karma.
    Metronomes are wierd. I used to use one everyday, but for the past two years, I only use it occasionally, as it was making my phrasing too robotic.

20. maskofduality

maskofduality Brandeis Sophomore

maybe you should practice soloing to a metronome and chord progressions. out-n-out chromatic and scale exercises on a metronome kinda leads to the droning shredder effect. idk, it worked for me everytime i tried it.

that said my guitar teacher has assigned me "homework" in which i have two weeks to do a myriad of picking, legato, and tapping exercises.