What techniques are you currently working on?

Discussion in 'Music Theory, Lessons & Techniques' started by distressed_romeo, Feb 16, 2006.

1. distressed_romeo

distressed_romeo F'king ............ Forum MVP

This section of the forum needs this...we don't post here often enough!

What techniques are you currently practicing or refining?

This evening I was doing some clean-toned sixteenth note rhythms with a delay (Pink Floyd or U2 style), and I've been working a lot at cross-picking arpeggios and some solfege exercises recently. Also been working at improving my intonation when slurring with the wang bar.

2. darren

darren Decibel Guitars Forum MVP

I'm working on the one technique that seems to be a lifelong struggle for me. It's called "playing the guitar". I seem to be getting better at it, but sometimes i have my doubts.

3. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

You and I both, darren. I've found that focusing on the "not sucking" aspect of that technique has helped considerably, but there's still room for improvement. Maybe I should focus on attaining positives rather than avoiding negatives? They say in mountian biking that thinking "Don't hit that rock" is the surest way to hit it...

Also, alternate picking and sweeping. I know, you're not supposed to practice them together, but somehow the combination is actually helping.

4. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Shut up Drew, your legato technique rivals Ritchie Kotzen's. (grammar error, possessive missing noun). Sounds like you don't have to worry about not sucking.

In the meantime, I have to work on my legato playing. I found "Cryptic Writings" is a good exercise in legato playing. :yesway:
    I really need to work on my sweeping. I have a practice that is Pachelbel's Canon in D with sweeping arpeggios instead of chords. I'd really like to learn T-Mac's Tower of London, though.

In my experience, it's best to take things one step at a time
    1) Learn simplest example of a technique.
    2) Play example through the circle of fifths
    3) Find a song with a more practical example of the technique
    4) Practice this example through the circle of fifths
    5) Repeat steps 3 & 4 with more difficult examples if needed
    6) Try to make your own application of the technique
    7) Play it through (you guessed it) the circle of fifths

5. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Dude, thank you tremendously, but I completely disagree. Thanks though. :wub:

And your method of approach for practice is fucking methodical, and will be asismilated into my practice workout. :metal:

6. distressed_romeo

distressed_romeo F'king ............ Forum MVP

Does anyone here actually have a proper timetable for practice? I used to when I was younger, but I don't really anymore...I just work at whatever happens to need work.

7. strychnine

strychnine miami sucks

I actually havent worked on my chops in a while...im sure it'll catch up with me.

8. David

David je t'aime Contributor

excessively twisted phrasing like Freak Show Excess by Vai.

9. Ken

Ken Forum MVP

It's back to basics for me. I'm really getting reacquainted with modes on a very pure and simple level.

I think my biggest area for improvement is finding joy in playing again. I'm done with exercises and "working" at playing guitar. I already have one job, I'll be damned if I want another one...

10. bostjan

Practicing regularly is important for making headway. I find that at some point, everyone plateaus and gets bored with exercises. That's about the point when learning tapers off.

I used to use this as an excuse for my GAS. "Oh, I'm so bored with my playing. I think I'll buy a ring modulator." It at least got me back into exercises as a form of experimentation.

It even lead to me purchasing a nineteen tone equally divided octave guitar and mod'ing my backup seven so be nineteen tones as well.

11. telecaster90

telecaster90 Smokestack Lightning Contributor

Reading music

12. David

you know, I moderate my two passions, excersizes and learning other peoples songs... and writing my own stuff. That way, I never over obsess one aspect of my playing, and stay pretty good all around, WHILE enjoying it.

AND, am I the only person who enjoys practicing to excessive amounts?

13. BCrowell

BCrowell Cubicle Dweller Contributor

++1 to Drew & Darren's practice mentallity!!

Recently, to work on my technique, I've adopted the following rigorous routine :

-Grabbin' a Corona & watching: 2 Hours of "Satch Live in San Fransisco" and mentaly thinking "I think I can, I think I can" :drool:
    -Grabbin' another Corona & watching 2 Hours of "Vai Live in Astoria" and mentally thinking "I think I can, I think I can" :ugh:
    -Grab the entire remaining case of beer & watching "Petrucci's Rock Discipline" and thinking "AHH F*&K, who am I kidding" :wallbash: :barf:
    -Out of beer, so I hit the Pinot Noir, and watch "Rush In Rio" and think "I CAN! I REALLY REALLY CAN!" :agreed:
    -Then pass out happy as a lark... without playin one single note...mumblin something about "tone."

Nope, I use to live for playin'/practicing with every spare moment. Since, however, I graduated, got a real job, a woman, etc... I'm lucky if I get to play 30 minutes straight!!

14. Shannon

Shannon Lord Super Awesome Contributor

I'm working on sweeps & have been for quite sometime. I can "fake" it and it still sounds good, but I know it's still wrong. By fake, I mean that I nail the downstroke but I basically end up doing hammer-ons when I'm suppose to be doing the upstroke. That upstroke is a bitch to get right. :mad:

15. Shawn

Shawn Ibanez Guitars Forum MVP

Circle picking or as EJ refers to it "bounce" technique with speed and accuracy.

Sweeps that I have written and incorporated the circular technique with, taking some time to get 'em tight with more speed and accuracy.

Double string bending, maybe a little tapping......that's about it.

16. David

Hey hey hey now, don't jump the band wagon on my parade, haha. School can be challenging... I'm in Honors Euro this year, and next year, I'll have AP US History (50 textbook pages a night), in addition to Calculus, advanced bio, and AP English. <--- total nerd right here.

AND THEN, on top of that, I'm not like a normal child who gets everything from mommy and daddy... my mom can't even afford to feed me. She's made some pretty bad choices. I've got random odd-job work to do for whoever will pay me doing manual labor (well I'm 16 now so I can legally get a job), and pay the bills.

I also have a girlfriend that demands to be with me 24/7, and I actually am with her about 24/7, infact she's right next to me now and says hi:).

Just cause I'm YOUNGER, doesn't mean I get a ride home from mom everyday to sit in my room and play guitar for 8 hours, haha. The only thing I don't have to worry about, is credit card payments, and the annual land tax on our place.

17. David

oooh, circle picking is fun!:)

Code:
    |-------------------------------------------------------------17-12-|
    |-------------------------------------------------------17-12-------|
    |-------------------------------------------------16-12-------------|
    |-------------------------------17-12-------17-12-------------------|
    |-------------17-12-------17-12-------17-12-------------------------|
    |-------17-12-------17-12-------------------------------------------|
    |-17-12-------------------------------------------------------------|

18. bostjan

Good for you! 16 and in calculus. It'll help you understand things better in school.

I played more when I was in school. Right now the economy is not so good, so I have to work two jobs to make half of what I made working one job before. grr

19. David

damn! what do you do?

I used to be slick with ebay, until I was fined for powerselling under the age. Dropshipping and turbo lister is the easiest thing since sliced bread.

20. SevenatoR

SevenatoR Seven String Slinger

Sweeping is a royal pain. At least not 'faking it' like Shannon said. Sometimes I have to really work on strict alternate picking because 'economy' type picking comes more naturally to me, but it doesn't always work out just right depending on what you're playing. Other than that, not sucking in general is always a really big consideration.