What should I do?! Band preferring to play mediocrity

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by CrownofWorms, May 27, 2012.

1. CrownofWorms

CrownofWorms SS.org Regular

I feel the musicians I got are extremely underestimating themselves. They wanna play some really generic metalcore to impress a crowd consisting of teenagers, but I wanna play something with more balls. They wanna play something simple, but when I recruited them they could play mastodon, necrophagist, suffocation, dream theater and much more. But theyre seriously trying to wimp out and play texas in july. And I thought of simple and brutal songs, but they said no(hell they called Morbid Angel ugly when a week ago they loved it). Hell they pussied out on Pantera and Gojira. btw we got a show in about 4 days

This is what they wanna play

and a metal version of this

I wanna do

Its kinda sad that these guys dont get respect at all

so what do you guys think of all this

Gothic Headhunter likes this.
  2. VBCheeseGrater

VBCheeseGrater not quite a shredder

Sounds like you'll need to find other guys to play with. Trying to force the issue rarely works well, unless it's straight up "your band". Even if you get them to play what you want to, it's not going to be the same as playing with guys that are totally into what you want to do. I'm speaking from experience here.

3. Waelstrum

Waelstrum All Fourths Advocate

Is there any chance of compromise? Like you could play that Texas in July song, but in your metal version of that other one, make it a bit more technical, or perhaps splice the guitar solo from another song like below but metal.

Do they want to play simpler stuff because they don't trust their chops, or because they prefer how it sounds? If they don't trust their chops, you could arrange things so that the trickier bits are handled by you, and they're merely accompanying you. If it's because they prefer simpler music, then you might have to find another band (or adapt to them).

4. CTID

CTID Duh-Jent

You really should probably just find guys who are going to want to play the same music as you. Like vbshredder said, it won't be the same if you don't.

On the other hand, if you really think Texas in July is a mediocre band, I feel sorry for you.

5. CrownofWorms

Its either that Texas band or nothing. But I get to have 30 seconds of a song I like(pure bs). Its that they dont trust their chops and I'm surprised they chose such a lame song, when they listen to more complex stuff like Arsis and Baroness

btw I dont wanna sound narcissistic, but I was the one that originally started this, I was the one that looked for and found these guys(All by me and I got a sure). I am the only original member in this band, but it is still our very beginnings

6. spawnofthesith

spawnofthesith SS.org Regular

Show them some Visceral Disgorge. Sick as fuck band, and theres honestly no reason those into metalcore shouldn't be all over slam like that :lol:

7. Waelstrum

I take it that you just do covers? If you have a similar musical taste as your band, but they just don't trust their chops, if you write your own material, you could find a good compromise of playability and heaviness. There are ways to make music complicated other than making it hard to play...

Solodini likes this.
  8. CrownofWorms

But we have 3 days.

9. Aceshighhhh

Aceshighhhh SS.org Regular

Realistically, they're just a watered down version of august burns red

10. HumanFuseBen

HumanFuseBen SS.org Regular

Find yourself something else to do, i'm afraid. Don't waste your time hoping that they'll become something they don't want to be. Been down that road before and it didn't end well. sorry dude!

11. Nile

Nile Giver of the Likes

That video for Texas In July was awesome at 1:00-1:15, then got retarded fast.

Make a compromise with them for this one show then find new people.

12. Waelstrum

Oh, I missed the time limit. If it were me, I'd go with the rest of the band for the gig, but have a talk with them afterwards about where they wanted it to go from there.

13. -42-

-42- Nothing to see here

Well, most bands should start simple regardless of their eventual musical ambitions, but simple doesn't mean shitty. Find some simple, solid songs and nail them.

Is their reluctance to play based on an inability to actually play the material? Or the fact that they don't like it? That's a pretty important distinction and should really be in the front of your mind regarding whether or not you want to continue playing with them.

Ambition is great, but it should be backed up by experience. I doubt a single person on the planet prefers sloppy sweeps to coordinated chords.

14. TheSpaceforthis

TheSpaceforthis SS.org Regular

You are right, mediocre is a kind description, its an awful retarded band.

15. CTID

CTID Duh-Jent

^

It's funny that I'm even defending them, because I'm not even a big fan of them. But to call them mediocre is just wrong.

16. CrownofWorms

Dude I chose simple songs(like Pantera)
    . But it was either too heavy or not "fun" enough

17. Hemi-Powered Drone

Hemi-Powered Drone Dragonblade629

If it's your band you at least get veto privilege, so you can just say no to what you don't want to play or kick them out. If I understand correctly, they aren't living up to their promises, which just isn't right.

18. Xaios

Xaios Foolish Mortal Contributor

This song definitely goes to show how even technically gifted musicians can still write absolutely generic music.

Regarding the band situation, it sounds like they just want to play whatever they think will make them popular with no regard for challenging themselves as musicians. If that's not your bag, then ditch them.

19. wrongnote85

wrongnote85 SS.org Regular

fuck em dude, i'll jam with you. i know half those songs up there already.

20. wrongnote85

wrongnote85 SS.org Regular

hey, how do you embed videos here??