What`s the best clip-on tuner for 7 string guitar now?

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by Antiphase, Dec 6, 2018.

1. Antiphase

Antiphase SS.org Regular

I know most of tuners are chromatic but i stressed on 7 because not all of them work well enough with low-tuning. I have pedal and software tuners but most of times I plug my instruments to the different signal chain with no tuner, sometimes I don`t plug them anywhere, therefore I need a clip-on one for the sake of convenience. I know lots of brands and models but never dealt with any, so what you might recommend me? I need a really precise tuner so that I could set intonation with it as well. Some folks say Peterson is cool for that matter but others say it`s not worthy... and it goes for everything else, except for KLIQ UberTuner which I haven`t heard before, but it`s rating is very high.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
  2. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

I wouldn't trust any clip on tuner for intonation. You want a legit strobe tuner. The Sonic Research Turbo Tuner is the absolute best, and I've owned $3k Peterson bench tuners.

I have a couple Planet Waves NS tuners and they work great on my 6s, 7s, 8s and basses.

Antiphase likes this.
  3. Leviathus

Leviathus Psychotic Monster

I have the KLIQ, don't believe the hype its a piece of shit.

Given To Fly, The906 and Antiphase like this.
  4. Antiphase

Antiphase SS.org Regular

Thanks for your input, I forgot to specify it`s not exactly should be a clip-on tuner but any tuner with mic, like e.g. BOSS - TU-8. Is it possible to find smth good enough for messing with intonation among those or are they as bad as clip on?

5. MaxOfMetal

If it's not strobe, it's not ideal.

Look for a used Peterson Strobo Flip. I've seen them go for as little as $50 used. A Strobo Stop used would be good too.

cwhitey2 and Antiphase like this.
  6. Antiphase

Antiphase SS.org Regular

can`t find good deals of those 2 but there`s StroboClip HD, is it good as well?

7. MaxOfMetal

Never tried it.

Antiphase likes this.
  8. iamaom

iamaom SS.org Regular

I have a Snark All Instrument tuner and it works fine for my 8 strings and 5 string basses.

Antiphase likes this.
  9. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

get a clip-on tunner that works for bass

clip-on tunners are for quick and practicality, so you dont have to un-plug your guitar from your rig to tune. But if you want to mess with the intonation, then you have all the time in the world, so go and get a real tunner pedal, rack, device, something. dont intonate your guitar with a clip-on

aslo if you are looking for a tunner with a mic, just download a tunner app for your phone and save yourself some cash. Might wont be 1000% accurate, but they do the job fine.

Antiphase likes this.
  10. Antiphase

Antiphase SS.org Regular

well apps for phone I tried aren`t accurate at all so I don`t consider them anymore, I use`em only with ukulele sometimes...Thanks!

A-Branger likes this.
  11. Iron1

Iron1 SS.org Regular

I have a Snark and it occasionally has issues with the low B string. When that happens I use the Guitar Tuna app on my phone and it hasn't failed me yet.

Antiphase likes this.
  12. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

yeh, I only use them to tune up an acoustic or something like that. And its there as last resort/backup/no other choice/I forgot my tunner and no-one has one option

Antiphase likes this.
  13. angl2k

angl2k SS.org Regular

Don't use the TC electronic poly clip, it farts out on anything below B. It does tune it eventually but often does not register lower notes.

Antiphase likes this.
  14. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

Do clip on tuners work if your in a loud environment?

15. MaxOfMetal

I've never had a problem. I suppose if there's enough sound pressure it could vibrate the guitar and strings and perhaps add interference.

But, I have a couple of Planet Waves NS clip ons and I've tuned up with other folks playing at loud, but not absolutely insane volumes.

16. thraxil

thraxil cylon

Huh. I have one and use it on my 5-string bass without any trouble.

17. angl2k

angl2k SS.org Regular

I guess the amount of vibrations passed onto the headstock will affect the tuner? I have 2 poly clips and both have the same issue. Might be just my guitar though :)

18. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

clip-on tunners work by registering the vibrations on the headstock, so a loud environment shouldnt be an issue

unless Ive been completely wrong all these years in how they do actually work :)

Antiphase likes this.
  19. LeviathanKiller

LeviathanKiller Knee-shooting Archer

I have a Snark Super Tight and I don't use it for my lowest strings (beyond 6) or for intonation. I get better intonation using the Axe-Fx III's built-in tuner. I actually get better tuning in general from that tuner in that it is more precise (not to be confused with accurate) while being just as accurate as the Snark Super Tight.

Antiphase likes this.
  20. Lukhas

Lukhas SS.org Regular

I have a TC Polytune Clip. The "traditional" one works well. The polyphonic tuner however isn't that good, as sometimes it will report the low E to be out of tune (usually slightly low), and when you adjust it individually you notice it's perfectly in tune. Decent to get an idea, but for fine tuning the polyphonic mode isn't good. Aside from that, the feature package is good, but I haven't tried the strobe feature in it more than twice. I most likely would favour a pedalbiard tuner if I was gigging.

EDIT: Nevermind, didn't really read the threat title. I'm a 6 string peasant. :lol:

Antiphase likes this.