What religion/faith/belief do you follow?

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by vampiregenocide, Feb 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vampiregenocide

vampiregenocide A Chap Called Ross

This isn't a thread for bashing any religions, I am just interested in what faiths we have here on SS.org. It's always good to see what other people believe and learn about other ways of thinking.

Personally, I think I'm an agnostic theist. I believe there is something, a deity or force at work but that it is beyond our comprehension. I think that maybe God is not the creator, but the very act of creation itself; a basic equation underlying everything, driving life and existence in ways so infinitely complex and seemingly intelligent that in order to understand it, we must become God-like ourselves. I was a Christian when I was younger, partly because I went to a Christian-ish school and because I was young I assumed that God was real, and that there was an afterlife. As a kid, it's scary to assume otherwise. Then I thought I was an athiest, but I grew disgusted with the behaviour of atheists and their militance. Because I believe in a degree of spirituality and a high-level of things, but am equally behind science, I think agnostic theism fits best for me. It's non-committal which is good when a lot of people expect you to take sides.

So lets hear what you have to say, what do you follow and what do you believe? I don't want comments on other people's faiths unless you're genuinely interested in learning more.

2. Mordacain

Mordacain 1-watt brigadier

I'm an atheist. I considered myself agnostic for a number of years. The basis of why I consider myself an atheist now is answered by a fairly simple question: "Where does the preponderance of evidence lead us?" Does it suggest that there is a creative force at work or not. The evidence points to a total lack of design in the universe.

I absolutely have no faith... I like empirical evidence when I can get it and using reason to draw conclusions from that evidence.

CrushingAnvil likes this.
  3. Varcolac

Varcolac Frets? What frets?

What religion, faith or belief do I follow? I don't.

Agnostic atheist. I see no evidence for anything, and I don't think that there is anything. My personal morality is a quasi-logical extension of the tried-and-tested golden rule, modified by social mores and legal restrictions.

I was lazily raised to be a Catholic, by a Catholic lapsed into agnosticism and a Catholic lapsed into laziness. Church for my mother was a social activity; seeing her friends once a week on a Sunday morning. Church for my father was a chore. My appetite for knowledge killed what little faith I had, aided in large part by the Encyclopedia Brittanica, Karl Marx, and Carl Sagan. "A mote of dust, suspended in a sunbeam." Far more poetic than any holy book. Put things in perspective. One life to live, for brief decades on a fraction of a dot. Makes me value my existence, and want to improve this mote of dust in some way for future generations, before the electrochemical signals that make me "me" lapse into their constituent atoms.

4. Razzy

Razzy [10]

I am a devout Atheist.

5. Konfyouzd

Konfyouzd Dread-I Master Contributor

None... I listen to what they all have to say. If I agree with it then good for me. If I don't agree then I agree to disagree. If life is a gift then it appears I already have it. You don't tell ppl what to do with any other gift. Once it changes possession it is up to recipient to decide its fate. Likewise I think that my life should be given up to no one and lived for no one but myself so long as I don't *deliberately* fuck that up for anyone else. :yesway:

6. thesimo

thesimo SS.org Regular

Athiest - because all relgiions are a load of top shelf codswallop.

7. ROAR

ROAR oaf tobar

Apatheist.

TheHandOfStone likes this.
  8. Scar Symmetry

Scar Symmetry Ex Whiny Bitch

Uh oh.

I'll go with Atheist with values that could be seen as parallel with Buddhism, if I have to put a name on it.

The thing I like about Buddhism is that they place no attachment on the religion itself, they only wish to be as wise as they can muster at any given time.

9. Konfyouzd

Awesome... :lol:

10. Matt-Hatchett

Matt-Hatchett SS.org Regular

I'm a christian, but I try and back my beliefs with science. I feel like society tries to separate the two. I spend my time trying to figure out how they work together. For instance, I am probably one of the few Christians who believes in evolution and the big bang theory. I feel like we all have different pieces of a puzzle and if we would just work together, we would see more clearly than ever.

11. Konfyouzd

Respectable... There's plenty of speculation still as to what exactly caused said "bang" :yesway:

12. Daggorath

Daggorath -.-

"What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof." ~ Christopher Hitchens

Varcolac and Konfyouzd like this.
  13. TXDeathMetal

TXDeathMetal Lemme smang it girl! Contributor

I'm not exactly sure what faith I am or what I believe but I can say that it's taken me giving going to church a chance to realize how much I don't like it and disagree with it. I do go to church every Sunday but it's not for "the word" it's because I'm the sound guy and I run the sound board for the band and make them sound a little less like shit and I've told the pastor of this church what my beliefs and standpoints are and he's said it's fine and that they still want me to continue doing what I'm doing for them. He teaches/preaches the belief that our lives are not ours and that God is the master of our destiny which I highly disagree with because God has not yet gone out and got a job for me or decided what my career path is or etc... I HAVE. I also don't like how church is run like a business and how when they take up offering is that they say "you're giving to God", ok that may be true but how come after the offering is taken up is that I see the ushers take a log book and go into a different room and come back several minutes later? and how come I see you walk out of the place with a bank deposit bag sticking out of your back pocket every Sun?

tl;dr... I do not agree with how church/religion is run like a business and how the leaders of these churches are capitalizing on people's beliefs and fear to fatten their pockets.

14. vampiregenocide

vampiregenocide A Chap Called Ross

Yeah unfortunately organised religion generally ends up with a few peoples realising they can use it for their own benefit, and end up tainting what might have been a pure faith.

I believe in facts, science etc, but I'm also aware theres a lot we do not know. I figure the best way to be is to keep an open mind, something which I try to do. I don't like the fact people are so desperate to disprove God, because it's such an ambiguous concept. God can mean many things to many people. It can be a purely psychological thing, a manifestation of emotions that help focus ourselves. It could be a real spiritual being, as many faiths do believe. Or as I believe, it could be a complex force like gravity that underlines all nature.

Either way, I think to completely dismiss a higher power and say 'God doesn't exist' you have to first ask yourself 'What is God? And how might it exist?' To accept the improbability of something you first have to look at the possibilities, and with a concept like this that is very hard to pin down.

15. Konfyouzd

Apparently I like this too. :agreed:

16. JeffFromMtl

JeffFromMtl Уродливый, но честны

I just do my own thing, with a side of a little bit of what I like taken from everywhere else. There are some religions that I don't agree with at all, and some that I can really relate to, at least to some degree. Even the ones that I do agree with in some respects, such as Buddhism, pose some problems for me, so I just try to be happy in my own way, with my own brand of faith. It's been working pretty well so far, so I'll just keep running with it.

17. synrgy

synrgy Ya ya ya I am Lorde

What he said. :yesway:

18. TXDeathMetal

TXDeathMetal Lemme smang it girl! Contributor

I like this idea you have here and as crazy as it may sound is that I do/have found a spiritual connection through music, either by listening to playing, I can't really describe it but it's that feeling you get when you're listening to something and it hits you and makes you feel something inside, the same for playing. Is that God?... I don't know, maybe but who is anyone to tell me it's not you know?

19. daemon barbeque

daemon barbeque Banned

I am an Atheist. I accept facts as facts. I am not a guy who just believes.
    I studied a lot of Religions many moons ago, from the big 3 to Shinto, from Tibet to Hatti.
    I clearly can see the roots of every religion either in Egypt or in India. After reading many books and scripts about Hinduism, or better said ancient Hindu religions, there where no reasons anymore to believe in any Religious stories.

20. Mordacain

Mordacain 1-watt brigadier

:agreed: was similar for me. I studied lots, I thought more and I kept hitting a brick wall with this quesiton: "Who created god then?" Following the train of thought just continues out until you reach a recursive loop error, much like the babblefish :lol:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.