What picks do you use?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by GreatWhiteDope, Feb 25, 2009.

1. AkiraSpectrum

AkiraSpectrum SS.org Regular

Just recently moved away from the Dunlop Ultex 0.60 mm because they kept breaking on me and or have sharp corners/chips develop too often. I went to the .72mm's, which seemed to have fewer issues with chipping and defectively cut corners from the factory, but I just wasn't vibing with them.

I decided to take a gamble on the Dunlop Jazz III (Tortex) XL's... I grabbed some 0.88mm picks and really enjoy them, I think I may order some 0.72mm's sometime soon! I found the regular Jazz III's to be great for fast/precise playing but felt they had limited 'range' and required a lot more wrist-action when transitioning from string to string, which was too fatiguing. The Jazz III XL's are perfect for me because they have the Jazz III shape but are larger in size, yet still smaller than standard-sized picks.

Definitely recommend trying some if you're interested in something new between your fingers!

2. coupe89

coupe89 SS.org Regular

[​IMG]

3mm for guitar and 5mm for bass

3. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

just got in some of these -

[​IMG]

Rusty Cooley "Swiss Picks". Nuclear Cheese. They are actually awesome. Amazing attack, brilliant grip and seem to last ages. They do different sizes, thickness etc.

4. axxessdenied

axxessdenied SS.org Regular

I have tried A LOT of picks.

My vote in no order (they serve different purposes)
    Swiss Picks Nuclear Cheddar 1.10mm
    Swiss Picks Blue Cheese 1.10mm
    Tom Winspear's Broadsword 2mm-1mm Taper
    Fender Mediums (the white cellulose ones)
    Fingers

5. maliciousteve

maliciousteve Lord Green Fingers Contributor

[​IMG]

Sticking to these now. I've been messing with all kinds of picks over the past few years and these just do 'it' for me, no more messing around. :yesway:

6. ESPImperium

ESPImperium @ESPImperium

For Guitar I'm partial to using these:

[​IMG]

Bass i use either of these:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I have some Dunop Petruccis and some .88mm Green Dunlops around too. I find those above work best for me with one or two alternatives here or there where/if i need them.

7. couverdure

couverdure No Gear Day

Currently addicted to the white Tortex Jazz III picks right now, the gauge I use is .73mm since I've used the yellow ones a lot and I like how thin yet stiff they feel.

8. Blytheryn

Blytheryn Musical Adam West

Love the scratchy tone you get from those!

9. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire baritone6/8 string hoarder

Tried out a gold series gravity mini sunrise pick (basically a jazz 3 but pointier and more durable than the nylons). One of my favorites next to my winspear shiv or d'andrea pro plec 205.

10. LeviathanKiller

LeviathanKiller Knee-shooting Archer

How does the material feel? I have some of their Gravity acrylics but I'd say I'm one of the weird discerning types and have always felt an annoying grip from acrylic on the strings as it wears because it doesn't wear on the edge very evenly like other materials. I'm assuming the Shiv you have is the UHMWPE (Icegrip or Bloodline)?

11. Grindspine

Grindspine likes pointy things

I have been using a Dragon's Heart GT pick and Hardened pick. The two have lasted almost a year so far with minimal wear. By comparison, I would go through Dunlop Stubby Jazz 3 mm in roughly one to two weeks. I can actually tremolo pick with these and not worry about wearing the edges.

[​IMG]

12. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

It's been over two years since I wrote this a few pages back and I'm still in love with these picks. Won't use anything else, and I've got a big Altoids tin full of new ones :D I also have a second tin full of my worn ones that I end up using for playing bass.

13. KnightBrolaire

I can't really say whether it'll feel different to you from their acrylic line since the contours/edges are the same. They definitely wear down a lot slower though. It's a more durable/denser material than their acrcylic picks. It took me about a month of hard playing to wear the tip on my sunrise mini down a bit.
    I have an icegrip and bloodline shiv, I prefer the bloodline due to it being a little more mellow sounding. I also bought some UHMPWE blocks from BHL picks to make my own jazz sized picks.

14. ZombieLloyd

ZombieLloyd Not one 7 string

I use Gravity Picks Razer Mini and a Chicken Picks Tritone Badazz III. I've also ordered a Dragon Heart Guitar Pick that I'm looking forward to trying out.

15. KnightBrolaire

how do you like the chicken picks badazz? is it pretty durable?

16. Steve123

Steve123 SS.org Regular

Dunlop max grip .88, great if like me you're a sweaty git :)

17. ZombieLloyd

ZombieLloyd Not one 7 string

After about a week of use, it's definitely wearing less than anything else I've ever used. The sharp point is gone, though it hasn't worn down noticeably since. Which is impressive to me since I'm playing death metal so I used get through Dunlop picks very quick. I got a pack of 2 and they're really easy to play for me because if the bevelled edges. My picking feels a lot more controlled and I'm slipping up way less than when I used my gravity picks, honestly. Also, they allow me to pick faster too.

18. domsch1988

domsch1988 SS.org Regular

I tested every pick under the sun possibly. I went from the standard tortexes, over random dunlop offerings, three big Gravity orderings and some Petrucci signature picks.

I now am perfectly happy with the ultex jazz iii in 2mm. No flex, perfect sice, nice attack. I have some nylon jazz iii for playing open rythms and some 1.3mm jazz iii if i need more bite on the attack.

19. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

nuclear cheese. Rusty Cooley signatures. They are awesome with massive attack, last ages and are great for being grippy!

20. LeviathanKiller

LeviathanKiller Knee-shooting Archer

I was able to start seeing wear when I demoed one in a store. Also, I believe it was CSGuitars on YouTube who said they can tend to chip (as in pieces coming off) because of how brittle the material is. I can confirm this. The material is definitely brittle and I wasn't impressed.

I have a huge pick box, a smaller one with stock of what I recently bought, and a large dish full of what I'm currently using. I should post a picture later but the ones I'm currently rotating through are Winspear picks, Purple Plectrums, Wegen picks, and then some Tortex/Duraplex picks from Dunlop/Clayton respectively. The Clayton Acetal triangles in 1.90mm are sweet for a cheap pick.

ZombieLloyd likes this.