What picks do you use?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by GreatWhiteDope, Feb 25, 2009.

1. GreatWhiteDope

GreatWhiteDope New Member

Figured this would be the best place to post this since it did not fit much anywhere else.. Recently, I've noticed how much of a difference a pick makes, from tone to speed, and I've also noticed I can never find a happy medium with picks. If I use my Dunlop Tortex Pointed (Just under 1mm, sizes are all faded off) picks, I can play very clear and fast on my .70 gauge low string, however, it is too much for the high strings and it kills my playing ability. Now, I have IcePix Steel Flex picks that I have filed to a point that if I use for the high strings I can play almost twice as fast with, however, it gets stuck on my bottom strings and is very hard to play with.

So my question is, what gauge/type of pick do you guys use on your sevens and have you had this problem before? I can't really seem to find pick that can play smoothly on a .011 gauge string and a .70 gauge string.

Santuzzo, Kr1zalid, Groff and 2 others like this.
  2. darren

darren Decibel Guitars

Steve Clayton Sharp Teardrop .56mm

3. Mattmc74

Mattmc74 SS Contributor

I like my Jim Dunlop nylon .73mm picks.

4. WhiteShadow

WhiteShadow Banned

Dunlop Ultex "Rhinos" (As i affectionately call them) in 1.0's. The ones with the picture of the Rhino on them. I use both the regular ones and the Triangular shaped ones. I've been using them for years and years and years. I use them till the tips just begin to wear then throw them in a jar full of 100's of other used "Rhino"s, i'm wasteful like that! Dunlops rule though.

These guys:
    [​IMG]

And my god Darren... .56mm? Man thats thin.

5. GreatWhiteDope

I happen to have some Dunlop Ultex Triangle picks laying around, they do play alright but it bothers me that I can barely the notes I'm playing sometimes over the loud grind of the pick against the string.

6. Rick

Rick ALL HAIL DJOD

Jazz IIIs.

7. telecaster90

telecaster90 Smokestack Lightning

Jazz III's here as well. I tried the Dunlop 1.14's in a jazz shape, but it changed me tone and hindered my playing some, so I went back to III's

8. Thin_Ice_77

Thin_Ice_77 You'll never make it

Yep, Jazz IIIs here as well.

9. GreatWhiteDope

I've always avoided Dunlop Jazz just because the look like tiny, fat stubs. Maybe I'll give them a try though.. Do they play smooth on the higher strings?

10. Thin_Ice_77

Thin_Ice_77 You'll never make it

^^ You get used to it. I used to use Jim Dunlop 1.14 (the purple ones) and I thought they were the best. A few people were raving about Jazz IIIs so I tried them, and loved them. Now I find it impossible to play with anything else, normal picks feel huge.

They just play very well overall. I just don't notice I'm holding it, they're that comfortable. Just how a pick should feel IMO.

11. thebhef

thebhef King....of....Mountn

I've been using cool picks. The jazz III shape, 1.5mm. They're super rigid and super slick, apart from the sandpaper pads on 'em. They're pretty badass little picks. Kind of spendy, though, compared to celluloid or tortex, though.

12. Daemoniac

Daemoniac Rivethead Magnate.

Jim Dunlop Teckpick Aluminium

[​IMG]

They were a lot smaller than i expected them to be initially, but i really love how fast they feel, and how much resistance they have when playing. It's encouraging me to play a little softer, and get a lot more accurate :yesway:

13. Harry

Harry Doom man of Doom.

I use Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks.
    I might get thicker picks one day though, but the 1.14 one aren't bad.

14. AK DRAGON

AK DRAGON Guitar Popcicle

Jim Dunlop nylon .88's and jazz III's

15. punisher911

punisher911 blah blah blah

Snarling Dogs Brain picks. .73mm/red They are textured and don't slip at all.

16. dnoel86

dnoel86 SS.org Regular

Dunlop Eric Johnson jazz III

17. jymellis

jymellis Talk To DeWalt

green peavey .88 i have 2 left and cant find them anywhere:wallbash:

18. -K4G-

-K4G- Go Auckland Blues!

Stubbys 3.0mm. Easier for sweeps.

19. liquidcow

liquidcow New Member

I use the green Tortex .88 picks, never really got on with anything else. I do find that playing with a new pick is a bit fiddly, you have to wear them in a bit first.

20. darren

darren Decibel Guitars

I prefer a pick with a little bit of "give" in it. Being primarily a rhythm player, i find that heavier picks don't give me the kind of smooth and natural pick attack i like to hear. To my ears, the sound of a fingernail on a string is the ideal blend of warmth and attack. And for a number of years, that's how i played, Jeff Beck-style with nails and fingers. But at some point, i damaged the nail bed of my right index finger, so that nail never grows as thick or as strong as my other nails, so it wears down and tears easily.

The small size and relative stiffness of the Ultem material (like Ultex) as well as the pointed tip means the .56 Spike is actually pretty perfect, and the closest thing to that natural "fingernail" attack that i like. They have excellent sound, great feel, and they're very versatile.

I used Stubbies and Big Stubbies for quite a while, and while i loved how "efficient" they made my playing feel, but i found they had a very stiff sound to them. When recording, i could also hear a distinct "plink" on my pick attack with Stubbies, because the material is so hard and bright-sounding.

I also find that with very stiff picks, they have a tendency to jump out of my hand during energetic picking or strumming. I have to grip a stiff pick much more tightly, which tires out my picking hand a lot more quickly.

The .56 Clayton Spike is the best pick i've ever played.

[​IMG]

I use the small ones on the right. If you like Jazz III style picks, you MUST try these. They're available in .56, .72 and .80.