What is your next guitar/gear purchase gonna be?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by M3CHK1LLA, Feb 28, 2013.

1. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

2. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

Oh shit forgot to bring up the stuff I got. :lol:
    AMT Japanese Girl wah and Digi tech Ricochet. In the process of shrinking my pedal board.
    Dimarzio Super 2. Got a really bass heavy guitar and this'll help tighten it up hopefully. Saw Ben Eller recommends this for bassy guitars.
    Decibel 11 Split Personality. Huge upgrade over the passive AB box I was using.

Next purchase in unsure. Im thinking about either finally getting a J bass, or selling one of my guitars to make room for one more PRS SE Singlecut-style guitar. Or an LTD ec1000tctm

Edit: Oh also got a DeWalt power drill. :lol: Been needing a new one for awhile. Need a router or a dremel as well.

rexbinary likes this.
  3. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

You just reminded me of the AMT Japanese Girl. Cheers. :yesway: Looks like we're doing something similar with the mini boards too. :lol:

4. Spaced Out Ace

Got a v2 VFE Fiery Red Horse. I need to email Peter though, because the site for the discontinued pedals seems to indicate that the VFE Fiery Red Horse can have other power supplies. I'm curious what it would be like with an 18v power supply. I'd assume it'd go between about 9v to 24v or so?

From the VFE site: "The POWER knob sets the amount of voltage fed to the gain stages, from 3V up to 16V (or more with more than 9V power supplies). Lower voltages will starve and sag the gain stages."

So that means that the pedal will be fine with an 18v power supply correct? I mean, that's what it seems to indicate, but being that the pedals are discontinued, I don't care to hook up two VFE Fiery Red Horses [I have more than one, sue me], and have them fry. I'd hook em up to 18v power supplies, and just crank the power control, though I'm not entirely sure they need it, because they sound pretty awesome from 9v to 16v on the power control.

And yes, I have a stash of VFE pedals, and yes, I am hoarding them. Only one I've bought has been sorta meh -- the Dark Horse -- but even that has something interesting to offer. It's a nice dark sort of distortion pedal, but still Marshall leaning somewhat. If @USMarine75 has any setting suggestions, I'm all ears. I'd dig it outta my closet to test it.

5. HerbalDude420

HerbalDude420 SS.org Regular

New pickups that people hate or love is my next purchase. Going with lace alumitones Deathbucker/Humbucker combo in my Schecter C1 Platinum. And maybe a second Alto Truesonic for stereo setup for my helix.

6. mnemonic

mnemonic Custom User Title

That power control had me curious so I googled it, all I found was one review here that mentions 9v to 15v

http://www.effectsbay.com/2015/03/demo-of-the-vfe-effects-fiery-red-horse-by-rig-rig-rig-gear-demo/

The mention of 15v makes me think there’s a charge pump in there (probably LT1054) that can’t take higher than 15v.

Apart from emailing the guy and asking, you could also open it to check. Also check the voltage rating on the side of the electrolytic capacitors.

7. Spaced Out Ace

I think what it is talking about is using a 9v to adjust the charge pump between 3v to 15v [VFE's site says 16v, but whatever]. I'll just email Peter. He's usually very good about getting back to me about questions and such. He's currently fixing my other Fiery Red Horse [production v1] because the 3 way clipping toggle is broke. He's got a shit ton to do, so hopefully he can do it and ship it out quickly. :lol:

8. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire pickupwhoricus americanus

Cool, now the only question is if the eq version is worth the extra $$$ hmmm

9. Edika

Edika SS.org Regular

Hopefully my first electoacoustic. I'm really drawn to the Fender PM-3 Deluxe.

10. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

It's not exactly mini. :lol: Just a shit-ton of pedals on a pedalboard. Gonna be around 15 pedals once I get these two, and I'm still adding more.

Bloody_Inferno and USMarine75 like this.
  11. DudeManBrother

DudeManBrother Hey...how did everybody get in my room?

Well it wasn’t an actual purchase; my dad got these for my birthday/Christmas gift: a legit nitro pickguard from Lashing
    AB6BCFC2-0001-4ED8-9F7A-7DE62EA529E1.jpeg
    And some “patent pending” bent saddles. I already had the patented bent saddles installed, but these are a classic touch to go with the ‘59-‘65 era pickguard.
    E33FEB74-65E2-49C0-90C8-B43AE71245F6.jpeg

12. USMarine75

USMarine75 Lover of sasquatch erotica Contributor

Yeah I always prefer more knobs given the chance, but the price difference was drastic at the time. i want to say I found one mint for just over a hundred, and the EQ version was over $200?

13. Kaura

Kaura #Make:cool:SmileyCoolAgain

I'm going to get a nice paycheck next month as I worked my ass off this month. Really tempted to get a Fender Mustang since I've always digged the body shape but I've heard that the built quality is pretty bad on those and I what I really need is a new 7-string so I'm probably just going to get an Iron Label Ibanez.

14. DudeManBrother

DudeManBrother Hey...how did everybody get in my room?

3840E929-8BA0-4F15-AC2C-AD511FAC7C86.jpeg
    Probably grabbing one of these tomorrow. I don’t know a whole lot about them but I hear channel 1 is classic Marshall and channel 2 is modern high gain similar to an Uberschall

15. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire pickupwhoricus americanus

Haven't found an eq version for under 250 yet but if i do i'm getting one. It'll pair nicely with my f30.

USMarine75 likes this.
  16. Spaced Out Ace

You bucky lastard! :lol:

But I've seen quite a few Ibanez Iron Labels with poor build quality...

I mean, get what you want, but not getting guitar A for something that guitar B has issues with is just a bit odd, I guess.

17. Kaura

Kaura #Make:cool:SmileyCoolAgain

Good to know. i honestly don't know much about the Iron Labels and since they're not made in Japan I'm questioning the build quality but of course I'm going to try them out before buying one. I have a few prestige Ibbies and even they have their faults but the sad thing is that the 7-string market is kinda limited even today at least if you have a limited budget so there's not even that many other brands to look at. I mean, pretty much the only other brand that I would consider is LTD but I've heard some bad stories about their current state.

18. USMarine75

USMarine75 Lover of sasquatch erotica Contributor

MIK stuff has been fantastic overall the last 5+ years. I have several friends (or friend-ish people lol) that own stores that sell ESP LTD and Schecter and are usually fairly vocal when they receive garbage to resell. I also own 5 LTD and Schecter guitars personally and all are mint (I am very picky myself I won't tolerate even minor finish flaws, but that is me). The majority of the complaints I hear involve the guitar not receiving a proper setup (pickup height, trussrod, action, trem, etc).

With that said, I just purchased an LTD KS-M-7 and it arrived with tons of pick scratches. I can only imagine that Zakk Wylde demoed this thing, or someone that picks with a shovel. I don't blame the manufacturer, I blame the reseller on this one. It was obviously demoed or a customer return. It also had action maxed out... there must have been almost 1/4" at 24th fret lol.

Regarding the MII stuff, the only stuff I have heard and seen is poorly filed fret ends (common) and minor finish flaws (rare). The quality of parts are top notch and the wood is mostly high quality (I've heard of one or two dead sounding MII Iron Label guitars making it out there).

No company has 100% flawless QC. High-end companies like PRS, Knaggs, Mayones, etc., should and do have less.... and that assurance is one of the things you are paying for. But the level of flaws that make it into customers hands are still quite low from what i have seen with MIK companies like Schecter and LTD.

My recommendation is, you can't go wrong buying from a reseller that has a good return policy. I just bought several leftover 2015 Gibsons. That was a particularly bad year for QC by Gibson from what I hear, but I'm not worried. I have 45 days to fully inspect and try them out and if I can't live with my life choices, then back they go and it costs me nothing. And if you buy from a seller that offer a free inspection and pro setup before they ship/sell, then you really shouldn't have anything to worry about.

19. Spaced Out Ace

With Iron Labels, I've seen a few where the bridge was in the wrong spot so that either the highest or lowest string were barely on the fingerboard.

20. Spaced Out Ace

So I've fucked with my VFE Dark Horse some. I got some better results, but still a little underwhelmed I guess. Compared to the other 12 or so VFE pedals I have, the Dark Horse is my least favorite. Still a cool pedal, but yeah. Messing with the fat control on the PCB was pretty interesting. Got me closer to some usable tones, for sure. Other than that, it seems like a Marshall in a Box of sorts, but more for the Grunge/Doom crowd than the Hair Metal set. I could see it being useful for Black Sabbath covers if set right.

Anyways, cranking the fat control all the way up did get it closer to Hair Metal territory, so that's good for my uses. It's one of the few times when I wish there was a 7th control on the face of a VFE pedal, whereas usually 6 controls is more than enough. The reason I think so is because it has a huge effect on the tone and operation of the pedal.

On a different note, I can't wait to get my Fiery Red Horse v2, and to get my Fiery Red Horse v1 back from Peter, because the 3 way toggle needs replaced. Granted, I don't use fuzz that much, if at all, but the triangle era Muffs are my favorite tone wise, and the ability to adjust the midrange and voltage is really effing cool. The v2 require you to cut the bass/treble in order to boost mids whereas you can just boost it with the mids knob on the v1, but either way, it's still awesome.

Oh, and I can't wait to try the Fiery Red Horse with my VFE Focus.